BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

Greg Dulli to Release Live at Triple Door

Album Available Worldwide Digitally On October 28th

It was October of last year when Greg Dulli was asked to perform a benefit show for The Vera Project (a local music-arts center run by and for youth) in Seattle, WA. At the time, Dulli was in-between projects. His band, The Twilight Singers were on hiatus after a full year of touring, while his new project with Mark Lanegan, The Gutter Twins, wasn't quite ready to be unveiled to the general public.

Rather than pass on the offer, he decided to improvise. Dulli assembled an eclectic collection of musicians including Petra Haden, Shawn Smith, Jeff Klein and Barb Antonio to reinterpret and recreate acoustically, some of his finest material over a two-night stand at the intimate Triple Door Theatre in downtown Seattle.

The highlights from these shows will now finally be released worldwide digitally as Live At Triple Door on October 28th on Dulli's own Infernal Recordings label.

Performing a stripped down and subdued set, Dulli leads his band through a selection of Twilight Singers songs such as "King Only" and "Candy Cane Crawl," a brand new (at the time) Gutter Twins song "Front Street" along with a mix of covers, including his first live version of Jose Gonzalez's "Down The Line". For a man that's been known for his live performances, this release is shockingly the first ever full live album of Greg Dulli's illustrious career.

“I was originally asked to perform alone but that prospect was terrifying to me, so I asked Petra to come along,” commented Dulli. “Then I thought ‘Jeff's done this a million times, I'll bring him too.’ I hadn't played with Shawn or Barb in ten years and they lived in Seattle, so I called them and what started as a potentially scary situation turned into a beautiful band without all the clanging and banging. And I could actually hear myself onstage for once and sang (mostly) in key.”

Dulli's current project, The Gutter Twins will be performing at this year's Voodoo Music Festival in New Orleans on October 24th and the band be returning to the East Coast of the U.S. for four shows in early November (Philly, Brooklyn, D.C. and Boston).

Full Track Listing For Live At Triple Door:

1. The Killer
2. Candy Cane Crawl
3. Black Is The Color Of My True Love’s Hair
4. Tell Everyone
5. That’s Just How That Bird Sings
6. Isn’t It A Pity/Atlantis
7. King Only
8. Bonnie Brae
9. Tonight
10. Down The Line
11. Front Street

#2 MuteSuperstar

MuteSuperstar

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Even though "stripped-down and subdued" isn't how I usually like my Dulli, I'll definitely pick this up. Too bad there was never an official Whigs live album. Maybe someday.

#3 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

Holy shit.

"Tonite"?

Like Congregation "Tonight"?

I'm in regardless then.

BTW, I'm reading the Gentlemen 33 1/3 right now and its got some great stuff in it. Especially since, even as a fan at the time, I dont really remember too much writing about them back in the day.
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#4 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

I'll have that "Isn't It a Pity/Atlantis" medley.

#5 castaña

castaña

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

Yesterday i was listening to "Powder burns" for the first time in almost 2 years. I remember liking it a lot and making my EOY list and all, but i'm enjoying it a lot more now, just great. I don't know what are the plans of this man after that album with Lanegan, but i hope he keeps it up with The Twilight Singers.

#6 demoncleaner

demoncleaner

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

Speaking of Dulli, I just belatedly picked up Adorata. Down the Line, holy fuck!

#7 demoncleaner

demoncleaner

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

nm

#8 Huckle

Huckle

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

I bought the Kiss the Stone "Flip Your Whig" boot around 94 or 95 and it was absolutely smoking. I just spent about 14 seconds trying to find a link on ShMnr and came up dry. Unfortunately, that disc is boxed up in the attic with the rest of my manhood so can't get to it without incurring a whole bunch of chores.
---------------------------------
Nobody knows I'm new wave

#9 MuteSuperstar

MuteSuperstar

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:47 PM

Down the Line, holy fuck!

Yeah, best tune on the EP, just great stuff. Dulli is one dependable motherfucker. I know it's a cover but the Twins make it their own and then some, no offense to Jose.

#10 poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

Even though "stripped-down and subdued" isn't how I usually like my Dulli, I'll definitely pick this up.
Too bad there was never an official Whigs live album. Maybe someday.

woulda been great to see them. i got to see dulli on the twilight singers tour for blackberry belle, and it was pretty awesome. unfortunately i really couldn't get into that record other than 3-4 songs, and haven't really dug much since either.

still totally love everything from congregation -> first twilight singers album.