390 replies to this topic

#1 Stan Gable

Stan Gable

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

First line of business, Chief of Staff.

NBC reports Rahm Emanuel accepts the position.

"Chicago is...my kind of town...."

#2 MattW

MattW

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3564 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

Any word on the appointment of the puppy?

#3 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

i'm glad that emanuel accepted. he's a complex man, a capable man, and there is something wonderfully symmetrical about obama's first appointment from a man with a muslim name going to a man with a hebrew one.

#4 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

Obama's campaign promise: a dog for his daughters
Posted by Deb Wood, special to The Oregonian November 05, 2008 08:18AM

When President-elect Obama spoke last night, he carefully lowered expectations. He talked about sacrifice and the big tasks ahead. He didn't promise anyone anything.

Except for one thing: He promised his daughters a dog.

People who don't follow the politics of dogs might not know how much fur flew over where the Obamas would get their pet. Should the dog be purebred or a shelter dog? It was settled when Michelle Obama said that the family would adopt a shelter dog.

I'm willing to bet that the Obamas make this decision with the same careful thought that typified the campaign. Reports are that there are some allergy issues in the family, so they're looking for a breed (or mix) that doesn't shed. I am sure they'll find a dog that loves kids.

If they find a great family dog at a shelter or rescue group -- and goodness knows those dogs are out there -- it might be a step forward for the dogs that are waiting for homes all across the country.

No matter what your politics may be, that would be a happy day.

I'm looking for further details on vetting process (ha! Vet-ting), the short list, etc.

Biden will not be the only one in the White House on a short leash.

Thank you folks, drive safely!

#5 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

Posted Image
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#6 Mike Schank

Mike Schank

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

i'm glad that emanuel accepted. he's a complex man, a capable man, and there is something wonderfully symmetrical about obama's first appointment from a man with a muslim name going to a man with a hebrew one.

He's Ari Gold, he's a fucking lunatic.

#7 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

I'm looking for further details on vetting process (ha! Vet-ting), the short list, etc.

In the selection of his administrators, it certainly is true that those working under the President should not feel neutered under his power. They will need to be trained ...yet not be at his heels at every moment, and not bark loud responses out of spite when disagreeable to his orders. The worst thing that can happen would be for one of these selected persons to soil the Oval Office with issues that are repellant to making our country a great place to live, work and play.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#8 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

Any SOMBies out there have an inside track to be named Senator by Blogo to replace Obama? I think I'd make a great Senator.

#9 MattW

MattW

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3564 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

My call is Tammy Duckworth. And my wife and I discussed that he's definitely going to have to get a shelter dog. No way around it. Sorry girls, no puggle for you this time.

#10 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Vote Nick for Senator!

#11 b17yoe

b17yoe

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

Malia has allergies, so I think the early word is on some sort of hypo-allergenic super dog of some sort. Saw that on the tubes this morning.
Whatever.

#12 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

Any SOMBies out there have an inside track to be named Senator by Blogo to replace Obama? I think I'd make a great Senator.

Move to Delaware, your odds are better there.

#13 Finn McCool

Finn McCool

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8081 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

Obama's campaign promise: a dog for his daughters
Posted by Deb Wood, special to The Oregonian November 05, 2008 08:18AM

When President-elect Obama spoke last night, he carefully lowered expectations. He talked about sacrifice and the big tasks ahead. He didn't promise anyone anything.

Except for one thing: He promised his daughters a dog.

People who don't follow the politics of dogs might not know how much fur flew over where the Obamas would get their pet. Should the dog be purebred or a shelter dog? It was settled when Michelle Obama said that the family would adopt a shelter dog.

I'm willing to bet that the Obamas make this decision with the same careful thought that typified the campaign. Reports are that there are some allergy issues in the family, so they're looking for a breed (or mix) that doesn't shed. I am sure they'll find a dog that loves kids.

If they find a great family dog at a shelter or rescue group -- and goodness knows those dogs are out there -- it might be a step forward for the dogs that are waiting for homes all across the country.

No matter what your politics may be, that would be a happy day.

Thank you folks, drive safely!

:lol:
Until the sky turns green, the grass is several shades of blue, every member of Parliament trips on glue...

#14 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

Move to Delaware, your odds are better there.

I'd be willing to take the train home on weekends and talk for 80% of my allotted time during conformation hearings.

#15 crease

crease

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

volcker for treasury secretary would be OUTstanding. also, i very much hope he retains gates as defense secretary. i'd have no problem whatsoever if he returned colin powell to his old post as sec. of state. i'd like to see him pick chuck hagel to be his national security advisor. pat fitzgerald for AG. (i always screw-up his surname. the one who nailed scooter libby is who i mean).

#16 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

volcker for treasury secretary would be OUTstanding.

How so? Not disagreeing--my interesting in economic policy far outstrips my understanding of it, is all.

#17 crease

crease

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:56 PM

How so? Not disagreeing--my interesting in economic policy far outstrips my understanding of it, is all.

he's a practical guy, is all. we've gotten a few decades worth of 'let the market do as it may' monetary policy. not saying that greenspan, et al didn't treat us to years of unprecendented prosperity. but at what cost? volcker is a learned hand (from his first stint as fed chief, which was by almost every account an almost unqualified success) and not some egghead.

plus, he's someone whose likely to be palatable to the GOP as well (he's a right-leaning centrist politically), which has the benefit of insuring quick confirmation (important as we don't have a lot of time for dithering, BS) and is also symbolically valuable (obama reaching across the aisle to come up with a solution that's for the good of the order, rather than something that's just politically expedient/partisan).

#18 Moo & Oink

Moo & Oink

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

Jesse Jackson JR. & Carol Mosely Braun are sure to get cabinet posts

#19 worrywort

worrywort

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

Dick Lugar as the token "across the aisle" pick
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

Agreed. I chuckled when I read this the other day. Its from the New York Times in June 3, 1987 - the day Volcker stepped down and Greenspan took over.

The main philosophical difference between Mr. Volcker, a Democrat, and Mr. Greenspan, a Republican, appears to be in their views of the structure and regulation of the banking system. Mr. Volcker has tended to resist deregulation of banks while Mr. Greenspan is more favorably disposed to it.

One of them was dead wrong.