#381 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

SUCK IT, JUNIOR.

Obama overturns Bush endangered species rule, restoring "the scientific process to its rightful place at the heart of the Endangered Species Act, a process undermined by past administrations."

#382 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20705 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:12 AM

I don't see why you wouldn't nationalise a few banks, you can't just keep re-capitalising their assets (good, bad or toxic) for ever. Public needs to see a way that will benefit them in two or three years.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#383 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Obama seeks major change in federal contracting, overturning another Bush practice that has been under investigation...suck it, junior.

#384 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

I don't see why you wouldn't nationalise a few banks, you can't just keep re-capitalising their assets (good, bad or toxic) for ever. Public needs to see a way that will benefit them in two or three years.

Eventually that's what might happen. But like I said, they need to be prepared to do several of them simultaneously.

#385 MattW

MattW

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3564 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

The government's already the biggest shareholder in Citigroup and Bank of America among others as it is, if they can't turn their earnings around in the next 6 months I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

#386 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

Obama to remove federal limits on stem cell research

#387 Fender

Fender

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Obama to remove federal limits on stem cell research

I don't think anyone is against stem cell research -- it's embryotic stem cell research that Mr. Obama has opened the way for, and where the controversy exists, because this is a human life that is being destroyed.--- he feels that if embryo's are destroyed, well that's inconsequential, because a cure might be down the road that could help fight diseases. As of the present time no cures have been found using embryotic stem cells, and the growth of tumors has been the result of their use so far.

Stem cells (other than embryotic) have already been found to fight diseases, and have no moral issues attached to them -- and there have been significant advances to have these stem cells react in ways similar to the embroyotic cells.

If the human life is small enough, lots of people would have no problem in destroying that life, if there is a chance to help others, and Mr. Obama feels that if you aren't born (up to 9 months in the womb) then basically you are part of a woman's "choice" -- he's committed to approving FOCA -- he's already approved funding abortions that take place in other countries -The Mexico City Policy"

#388 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

I don't think anyone is against stem cell research -- it's embryotic stem cell research that Mr. Obama has opened the way for...

Save yourself some time and never bother pointing out this distinction ever again. We all know what we're talking about.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#389 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

They typically are culled from fertility-clinic leftovers otherwise destined to be thrown away.

Amazing how the Pro Life community always ignores the one fact that undoes their argument. You sound like an American Legion soldier who burns old flags decrying people who burn flags in public. Your argument doesn't make any sense. These human lives are about to be ended, anyway, so what's the harm in putting them to a potentially better use?

Your argument about the results so far is equally unimpressive. Edison went through 2,000 materials before he found the right one to be the filament in a light bulb. Were the others a waste?

Edison didn't think so.

"I now know 1,999 things that won't serve as a filament for the light bulb," he said.

This is how science works: Trial and error. Having only produced tumors so far is no measure of what we'll accomplish tomorrow.

#390 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

They typically are culled from fertility-clinic leftovers otherwise destined to be thrown away.

Otm. "A first-ever study of the issue [published in 2004] found that 84 percent of clinics throw away extra embryos that are created during in vitro fertilization procedures. Other embryos _ as many as 400,000 _ languish frozen in storage. Many of them are years old, fragile and unlikely to be used." And frozen embryos lose viability as they get old, eventually expiring altogether.

#391 MattW

MattW

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3564 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

If the human life is small enough, lots of people would have no problem in destroying that life, if there is a chance to help others, and Mr. Obama feels that if you aren't born (up to 9 months in the womb) then basically you are part of a woman's "choice" -- he's committed to approving FOCA -- he's already approved funding abortions that take place in other countries -The Mexico City Policy"

Is a 4-5 day old mass of cells that was never in a woman's womb small enough for lots of people?