#1 norton

norton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

SPRINGSTEEN DEBUTS NEW SONG AT FINAL RALLY FOR OBAMA
Four years later, nearly to the day, and there was Bruce, once again, on the stump in the battleground state of Ohio in the final hours of a presidential campaign, doing his best to get a Democratic president back in the Oval Office. With four more years of history to chew on, Springsteen has been energetic in his support for Barack Obama at a total now of four rallies in the past month, including Sunday afternoon's Change We Need rally in Cleveland. Yes, it was the same mall, in the shadow of the same, cold, neo-classical government buildings, where Springsteen joined John Kerry on November 1, 2004. This time around, though, more of an air of cautious confidence was evident as Bruce contributed his final set to the cause and introduced Obama's family to his own. "This time!" Bruce said, "This time!"

"I was here a while back, in 2004," Springsteen told the crowd, adding, "I'm glad they let me come back -- that they didn't think I might jinx them or something." A six-song set, similar to the Columbus set a couple weeks ago, added a welcomed duet with Patti on a new song: "Workin' on a Dream." The song has been recorded for the follow-up to Magic, which Springsteen has been working on this fall, an album expected to see release around the time of the Presidential Inauguration in January 2009.

How was the show, Rob?

#2 SonicAlligator

SonicAlligator

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

This week keeps getting better and better. The Boss is the man.
"Someone must be sleeping because all is quiet."
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8673 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

Holy hot damn. Never saw this coming. Bagged going down on Sunday. Didn't think it wise to insert my son into a mass of humanity for 3 to 4 hours and nowhere to move. I spoke with others who went, and I'd have gone if I didn't have him, most stuck to the perimeters for easier escape and thus watched on monitors. Did you see and download A Night With The Jersey Devil on his site?

#4 norton

norton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, loved Jersey Devil, the tune. Thought the video was kinda lame on the front end, but it got better later. It seemed to take him a while to get into character.

#5 tweed

tweed

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

Wow cool. And Bruce with a whistle solo? What the hell, all the kids are doing it. Gotta admit, of his recent studio output, Rising and Seeger Sessions are the only ones I find myself going back to. But either way, i'm excited. (howdy norton!)
Twilight Revival
Friday, March 13th - Thornwood Lounge (Wood Dale,IL)
Tuesday, April 21 - Abbey Pub (Chicago, IL)

Web Site I MySpace

#6 norton

norton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

(howdy tweed. have a good show tonight!)

#7 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

Album's called Working on a Dream and comes out January 27.

Tracklist:
01 Outlaw Pete
02 My Lucky Day
03 Working on a Dream
04 Queen of the Supermarket
05 What Love Can Do
06 This Life
07 Good Eye
08 Tomorrow Never Knows
09 Life Itself
10 Kingdom of Days
11 Surprise, Surprise
12 The Last Carnival
13 The Wrestler *
14 A Night With the Jersey Devil *

I'm a little worried that it's again produced by Brendan O' Brien. That news combined with the fact that these songs were recorded so soon after Magic makes me think it won't be that different from that album and that it will suffer from the same production woes.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#8 hinsey21

hinsey21

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Tracklist:
01 Outlaw Pete
02 My Lucky Day
03 Working on a Dream
04 Queen of the Supermarket
05 What Love Can Do
06 This Life
07 Good Eye
08 Tomorrow Never Knows
09 Life Itself
10 Kingdom of Days
11 Surprise, Surprise
12 The Last Carnival
13 The Wrestler *
14 A Night With the Jersey Devil *

I'm a little worried that it's again produced by Brendan O' Brien. That news combined with the fact that these songs were recorded so soon after Magic makes me think it won't be that different from that album and that it will suffer from the same production woes.

this is great news

always exciting when the boss has something coming out

just outta curiosty....where does everyone stand on The Rising vs Magic.....album and tour

#9 Ned Braden

Ned Braden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

I hear this. I think magic showed all sorts of potential to be awesome, but fell sort of flat.
I'm still holding out hope for this though. The boss kills.
Seeger Sessions was magic.
ign-presents-the-history-of-ninja-gaiden

#10 SonicAlligator

SonicAlligator

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

As long as he has another awesome, giant tour following the release I will be content. I saw him in Chicago and, a few months later, I saw him in Indianapolis. The man's live shows are epic. I could give two shits about how good this album will be. Sure, I want it to be amazing, but when does he really disappoint? I enjoyed Magic. He's The Boss. He's the man. I have only heard the single and I enjoyed it. It would be a blessing if this was as good as The Rising. That was the older, more mature Boss at his best.
"Someone must be sleeping because all is quiet."

#11 Ned Braden

Ned Braden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:09 AM

As long as he has another awesome, giant tour following the release I will be content. I saw him in Chicago and, a few months later, I saw him in Indianapolis. The man's live shows are epic. I could give two shits about how good this album will be. Sure, I want it to be amazing, but when does he really disappoint? I enjoyed Magic. He's The Boss. He's the man. I have only heard the single and I enjoyed it. It would be a blessing if this was as good as The Rising. That was the older, more mature Boss at his best.

Swish.
My thoughts exactly.
ign-presents-the-history-of-ninja-gaiden

#12 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8673 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, I can't wait. I kind of doubt he'll tour until maybe summer. Then, who knows, maybe not even an E Street tour. The last one just ended in late summer. I typically get to about 3 shows on each tour. Magic vs. The Rising. Tough call. I'd rank them fairly even. By the way, the new album news is on his site.

#13 dice

dice

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

i take it it's an e street album?
http://www.kiva.org

make a difference
99% repayment!

#14 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

The Rising >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Magic

#15 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8673 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

i take it it's an e street album?

Yes, E Street Band. recorded on tour breaks in Atlanta, where he's been recording.

#16 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8673 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

The title track and first single, Working On A Dream, is available free, today only, on iTunes and on his site.

#17 stignasty

stignasty

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

They're playing tracks on XM/Sirius E Street Radio. I heard the title track this morning.
Posted Image
"Sometimes I think nothing is simple but the feeling of pain." - Lester Bangs

#18 TSLOW

TSLOW

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

The title track and first single, Working On A Dream, is available free, today only, on iTunes and on his site.

can't decide how i feel about it yet. at first, it's almost too basic. but that chorus melody is damn pretty and sticks in your head. very orbison.
I'm just the oily slick on the windup world of the nervous tick.

#19 stignasty

stignasty

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

And a pose worthy of Joe Strummer.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"Sometimes I think nothing is simple but the feeling of pain." - Lester Bangs

#20 MuteSuperstar

MuteSuperstar

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

Pretty good tune, working a similar vein as "Girls In Their Summer Clothes", but not quite reaching the greatness of that song.