57 replies to this topic

#41 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

hopefully they keep doing the surround sound thing. this sounded truly awesome live.

#42 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

look at those legs!

#43 ohyeah

ohyeah

Neophyte

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

So when I first listened to this album it sounded good but not great, it didn't seem to have the one or two awesome standout tracks that immediately hooked me like their 2 previous albums did. But listening to this since then, I'm pretty blown away by the fact that every single song on this album is damn good, and it's only going to grow on me and it's getting put on my best of 09 list for sure. I think this is going to be a huge album for them commercially.

#44 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

Like I mentioned right after seeing them (over on page one of this thread), they really sound rejuvenated. In retrospect, the last album and touring cycle really had them looking and sounding like they were going through the motions a bit. I dunno about the States, but this record's going to be huge in Canada.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Like I mentioned right after seeing them (over on page one of this thread), they really sound rejuvenated. In retrospect, the last album and touring cycle really had them looking and sounding like they were going through the motions a bit.

I dunno about the States, but this record's going to be huge in Canada.

are they MuchMusic stars up there?

#46 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

They draw crowds of several thousand for some shows. In Alberta they play for upwards of six or seven thousand people.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:42 AM

They draw crowds of several thousand for some shows. In Alberta they play for upwards of six or seven thousand people.

wow... that's very cool.

nice to see the Canadian Music Industry succeed with one of their own that is not only good, but not Tragically Hip.

although, i shouldn't comment on this, i haven't lived up there for almost 15 years now... i guess BSS, Arcade Fire, and all the other indie successes had to have changed what's on popular radio, right? i left at the height of the SLOAN/ERICS TRIP/HARDSHIP POST/JALE and TRAGICALLY HIP era.

do they still play Burton Cummings up there? that fucking guy. how about Maestro Fresh Wes?

#48 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

although, i shouldn't comment on this, i haven't lived up there for almost 15 years now... i guess BSS, Arcade Fire, and all the other indie successes had to have changed what's on popular radio, right?

To a minimal extent on modern rock radio, but as for pop, it's still mostly Nickelback and anonymous Canadian Idols on the radio. But yeah, Canada's indie successes are really becoming big, especially the ones that tour extensively. Arcade Fire could be even more massive here, but they haven't done a proper Canadian tour since 2005. Metric's definitely the biggest band to come out of the Canadian indie wave.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:35 AM

although, i shouldn't comment on this, i haven't lived up there for almost 15 years now... i guess BSS, Arcade Fire, and all the other indie successes had to have changed what's on popular radio, right?

To a minimal extent on modern rock radio, but as for pop, it's still mostly Nickelback and anonymous Canadian Idols on the radio. But yeah, Canada's indie successes are really becoming big, especially the ones that tour extensively. Arcade Fire could be even more massive here, but they haven't done a proper Canadian tour since 2005. Metric's definitely the biggest band to come out of the Canadian indie wave.

really?

they are more popular than Feist and BSS?

#50 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:58 AM

Wasn't "Monster Hospital" a #1 single?
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#51 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:45 AM

^ "Monster Hospital" has become Metric's Big Climactic Concert Song here in Canada, replacing "Dead Disco". People go absolutely flippy over it.

they are more popular than Feist and BSS?

Feist is big with the adult contemporary audience, but yeah, Metric has tapped into the younger crowd more than anyone else.

BSS is a notch below, popularitywise. Though if they ever come out west again, it's going to have to be at much bigger venues, like 1000+. Where I live, Stars easily sells out a 1000 capacity venue, too. These bands have become too big!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

BSS sold out 2 nights at Sound Academy here in Toronto. Metric did not......

#53 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

BSS sold out 2 nights at Sound Academy here in Toronto.

Metric did not......

That's interesting. It would be just the opposite here out west. Then again, BSS hasn't been out here since 2005 while Metric never fails to return.

Whoops, correction, BSS did play the folk fests out here last summer, just not my city.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

Have Metric achieved "Econoline Crush big" status yet?
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#55 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

they are pretty much Tea Party big. not quite Our Lady Peace big.

#56 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

will they ever reach 54-40 status?

#57 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

will they ever reach 54-40 status?

only time will tell.

#58 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Posted Image
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08