30 replies to this topic

#1 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

It's audio-only, might even upload it here after it's finished, but doubtful. Any tips/advice on stories or shit I should say about them?
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

Don't forget when you reference Colin Meloy's 33 1/3 book on Let It Be to insert a four minute Decemberists song in its entirety for no reason whatsoever.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#3 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

it only has to be five minutes long
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 twicks

twicks

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

For what it's worth:

I had a friend who did a similar class presentation on the Mats. She said she played the first song from Sorry Ma and then the last song from All Shook Down to show their musical evolution.

I thought it was an interesting idea...but I don't know that hearing "The Last" would really turn anyone on to the band.

#5 Stephanie Nix

Stephanie Nix

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

I'm envious of you. I wish I was doing a class presentation on the Replacements. Here are a few things to talk about: They broke up on stage on July 4, 1991 in Chicago at the annual free Fourth of July concert sponsored by WXRT 93.1. The group by that point consisted of Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson, Chris Mars and Slim Dunlap (who had taken over from founding member Bob Stinson several years earlier). For those who were close to the stage or behind the stage, it was a pretty dramatic fight the guys had (not physical, but verbal jabs were traded). Each member walked off the stage at some point during the concert, handing over his instrument to the roadies to take over and finish the show. Even though the Replacements had a punk sound initially, they also blended power pop in their music. Alex Chilton and Chris Bell, the singer/songwriters who led Big Star, were big influences. That is abundantly clear not only by the band's song, "Alex Chilton" (on the Pleased To Meet Me CD), but also by the fact that Alex did some producing for Big Star. He and Paul Westerberg, who are probably too similar in personality, did not get along and unfortunately, that collaboration was short-lived. Paul Westerberg has also stated in interviews that he was influenced by the bubble gum pop of the 1960s. The Archies, in particular, were a favorite of his. The band's punk influence came more from Bob Stinson. I hope this helps. Have fun with it!

#6 maxexactly

maxexactly

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

Bob is fun to talk about. Tell the story about how Paul forced Bob to drink or leave the stage or something (I forget). Talk about Stinsons tragic last years as a neighborhood drunk who'd get people to buy "the guy from the mats" a drink. Mention the Bob Stinson memorial bench in minneapolis. Talk about the band playing "Help Me Rhonda" 20 times in a row to an angry audience. Lotsa stuff.

#7 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

A great story that sums up the Replacements is the story where they're playing some all-ages hardcore show and as a 'fuck you' to the crowd that's trying way too hard to prove they're punk, Paul does "Don't Get Married" by himself on an acoustic and the place shuts the fuck up and Peter Jesperson cries.

I sincerely hope you're using the Replacements chapter from Our Band Could Be Your Life as source material.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#8 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

nope i cant afford books just internet any links to sites would be useful, i've read a lot of lore but a lot of it im forgetting right now
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 wakingrufus

wakingrufus

And then John was a Sombie

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2376 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

nope i cant afford books

L2Library
Last.fm: Posted Image

#10 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

i was just there yesterday
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 wakingrufus

wakingrufus

And then John was a Sombie

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2376 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

i was just there yesterday

i heard they have free books there. is this true (Y/N)?
Last.fm: Posted Image

#12 tweed

tweed

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

would be cool to close it with the xrt dj from that 4th July show saying, 'well, there they go and I'm not sure if they'll ever be back" or something like that. i can up it if you like.
Twilight Revival
Friday, March 13th - Thornwood Lounge (Wood Dale,IL)
Tuesday, April 21 - Abbey Pub (Chicago, IL)

Web Site I MySpace

#13 boyo

boyo

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

Can I tell my story about meeting Bob Stinson at the Cubby Bear bathroom? Beer, piss, shit, stall, Grant Husker, gay, man-sized "sun" suit, knots...my story packs in a lot for a three minute one-on-one.
From prog to punk thanks to one influential album:
Posted Image

#14 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

would be cool to close it with the xrt dj from that 4th July show saying, 'well, there they go and I'm not sure if they'll ever be back" or something like that. i can up it if you like.

please do, i dont have this anymore.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:06 AM

lllllllllllllll
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 musick

musick

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

nope i cant afford books

just internet

any links to sites would be useful, i've read a lot of lore but a lot of it im forgetting right now

the only link you will ever need for such a project
http://www.angelfire..._Bible_v1.4.pdf

good luck

#17 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:16 AM

nope i cant afford books

just internet

any links to sites would be useful, i've read a lot of lore but a lot of it im forgetting right now

the only link you will ever need for such a project
http://www.angelfire..._Bible_v1.4.pdf

good luck

429 pages?! holy shit.

#18 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

tweed, you're killing me here w/ the lack of the xrt upload.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:07 PM

TWEED YOU SLUT!!
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Tongue-Tied

Tongue-Tied

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Talk about the band playing "Help Me Rhonda" 20 times in a row to an angry audience.

now that is hilarious. I wish there was a video.
Posted Image