Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

and one single: Wings - Silly Love Songs

#22 spin_spin_Capote

spin_spin_Capote

Neophyte

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

doesn't make much sense unless you have narrow-focused musical tastes but I'll play along because I like lists so much ;-)

Posted Image
This is for my love of contemporary classical composition (not the overtly experimental side of it, the one unafraid to put some melody and pattern in from time to time)

Posted Image

I like sweaty, down-to-earth hard-bop. Most of what stands under the RVG series label would do but Hank Mobley is one of those guys I simply adore.

Posted Image

Indie Music. From America (mostly). With all its clichés and jargon. I could have picked Dirtbombs, the white stripes or the latest Pfork darlings.

Posted Image

Post-rock, mostly the chicago scene, with some pop thrown in for good measure. Actually I also like epic post-rock à la Mogwai or Silver Mt. Zion.

Posted Image
Sometimes you need something weird, dissonant, cacophonous, be it with clicks, distorted voices, drones, no-input mixing board, etc. This is a brilliant album from Italy.

No room for electronics (Justice, stuff like that), World music, metal, etc. See? 5 albums is indeed too little.

#23 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

interesting exercise... Jawbox - For Your Own Special Sweetheart Elliott Smith - either/or Os Mutantes - s/t Stevie Wonder - Innervisions Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

#24 August West

August West

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:28 AM

Outkast - Aquemini Elliott Smith - XO Grateful Dead - Europe 72 Tony Rice Unit - Manzanita The Clash - London Calling

#25 SonicAlligator

SonicAlligator

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:28 AM

1. Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass 2. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots 3. Ratatat - Classics 4. Pimp C - Pimpalation 5. John Frusciante - The Will to Death
"Someone must be sleeping because all is quiet."
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

Melvins - Ozma Melvins - Lysol Melvins - Stag Melvins - The Bootlicker Melvins - Colossus Of Destiny

#27 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

doesn't make much sense unless you have narrow-focused musical tastes but I'll play along because I like lists so much ;-)

This doesn't make sense. If you have narrowly focused taste, all a list of five records tells me is that you don't listen to much beyond a certain sound, and that's dull. Seems to me it makes far more sense to have the five records cover as much ground as possible.

#28 stignasty

stignasty

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Queen - Jazz
Crowded House - Together Alone
The Beatles - Revolver
Peter Gabriel - So
The Clash - London Calling

and one single: Wings - Silly Love Songs

That's a really great list.
Posted Image
"Sometimes I think nothing is simple but the feeling of pain." - Lester Bangs

#29 spin_spin_Capote

spin_spin_Capote

Neophyte

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

This doesn't make sense. If you have narrowly focused taste, all a list of five records tells me is that you don't listen to much beyond a certain sound, and that's dull. Seems to me it makes far more sense to have the five records cover as much ground as possible.

well, if you like many different things, such as in my case, listing only five records will in no way be exhaustive. I might pick one album for 'indie pop' but obviously I don't like all indie pop so the indication turns out to be very superficial.
If you are focused on one genre only, let's say classical music, 5 records might shed some light on which part of the 'classical' canon you like best.

at the end of the day, 5 records can only describe something very specific.

#30 hinsey21

hinsey21

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

1. Some Girls-Rolling Stones 2. PIL-Metal Box 3. Beatles-Revolver 4. Prince-Sign O Times 5. Stone Roses-Stone Roses ....i enjoy british music more then american....by alot....yeah

#31 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

Unless you're a dullard, musical taste isn't specific to begin with, so what's the point? My musical tastes, as is true of many here, go in all directions. To list five records that help someone understand a specific subgenre in my musical tastes says nothing at all.

#32 hinsey21

hinsey21

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

Unless you're a dullard, musical taste isn't specific to begin with, so what's the point? My musical tastes, as is true of many here, go in all directions. To list five records that help someone understand a specific subgenre in my musical tastes says nothing at all.

quit being a baby and just play along

its fun

#33 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

You're completely unclear on the nature of this message board, aren't you? Any dissent, any attempt at a conversation, threatens you to a degree which makes me think that, if you aren't a sock puppet, you must be all of 13.

WE'RE HAVING A FUCKING CONVERSATION, NUMBNUTS.

#34 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

well, if you like many different things, such as in my case, listing only five records will in no way be exhaustive. I might pick one album for 'indie pop' but obviously I don't like all indie pop so the indication turns out to be very superficial.
If you are focused on one genre only, let's say classical music, 5 records might shed some light on which part of the 'classical' canon you like best.

This is the point of the thread. See how well you can cover your tastes with five album 'representatives'.

There's no need for willy waving. 'Oh no, I listed a melodic death metal album. That's fine for the Gothenburg sound, but what about brutal death metal, grindcore, gore or blackened death? Damn these limitations!' ;)

Posted Image

#35 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

You're completely unclear on the nature of this message board, aren't you? Any dissent, any attempt at a conversation, threatens you to a degree which makes me think that, if you aren't a sock puppet, you must be all of 13.

You're now officially trolling the thread.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#36 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

why so angry sugar pie?

#37 hinsey21

hinsey21

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

is it time to change your diaper again?

#38 SonicAlligator

SonicAlligator

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:05 PM

This is the point of the thread. See how well you can cover your tastes with five album 'representatives'.

There's no need for willy waving. 'Oh no, I listed a melodic death metal album. That's fine for the Gothenburg sound, but what about brutal death metal, grindcore, gore or blackened death? Damn these limitations!' ;)

Hahahahahahahaha
"Someone must be sleeping because all is quiet."
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#39 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

Oh look, humor. Why do you bother coming here? You've made it quite clear you have no interest in any kind of conversation where your opinions aren't unanimously agreed with and praised. It's actually funnier that you continually make these jokes about my lack of maturity when it's you who demonstrates said quality in every post. The only question more appropriate than why you bother coming around is why I bother taking you seriously.

#40 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

Oh look, humor. Why do you bother coming here?

You've made it quite clear you have no interest in any kind of conversation where your opinions aren't unanimously agreed with and praised. It's actually funnier that you continually make these jokes about my lack of maturity when it's you who demonstrates said quality in every post.

The only question more appropriate than why you bother coming around is why I bother taking you seriously.

are you not the one that came in here and said this thread is pointless?

why you gotta hate?