vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:20 AM

1. Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna
2. Extra Life – Secular Works
3. Kasai Allstars - In the 7th Moon, the Chief Turned Into a Swimming Fish and Ate the Head of His Enemy by Magic
4. Lindstr๘m - Where You Go I Go Too
5. Fennesz – Black Sea

That's a hell of a top 5. Well, four of them at least. I need to hear this Extra Life album now.

#362 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:58 AM

yeah, autodafe should post more

#363 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:02 AM

Ok... so I don't post much (waits for Montana to attack :huh: )

A great list, Darkplace av, Saxondale and Brooks in your sig - you've surpassed him in a single post.
Posted Image

#364 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20696 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:05 AM

Truer words never spoken.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#365 swede

swede

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

THE BLACK DOG is making its move on here...could be a sleeper ...GROUPER is starting to see a lot of action as well... refreshing.

#366 SonicAlligator

SonicAlligator

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:36 AM

Poon and Auto, damn good lists. Forgot Madlib's Vol. 5 and 6 were released together. I need to put those in my top 50. By themselves, I don't think they make the list, but together, absolutely.
"Someone must be sleeping because all is quiet."
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#367 Rez

Rez

Neophyte

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

tremendous lists by mr. poon and autodafe is this what usually happens around here

#368 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

Official 1. Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue 2. British Sea Power – Do You Like Rock Music 3. Randy Newman – Harps & Angels 4. She And Him Vol. 1 5. Dr. Dog – Fate 6. Blitzen Trapper – Furr 7. Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds – Dig Lazarus Dig 8. TV On The Radio – Dear Science 9. The Black Keys – Attack And Release 10. Glasvegas 11. David Byrne and Brian Eno – Everything That Happens Will Happen Today 12. Erykah Badu – New Amerykah Pt. One 13. Fennesz – Black Sea 14. Amadou & Mariam – Welcome To Mali 15. The Hold Steady – Stay Positive 16. The Week That Was 17. Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet 18. R.E.M. – Accelerate 19. The Last Shadow Puppets – The Age Of Understatement 20. Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago 21. Shelby Lynne – Just A Little Lovin’ 22. Coldplay – Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends 23. Fleet Foxes 24. Lucinda Williams – Little Honey 25. My Morning Jacket – Evil Urges 26. Sigur Ros – Mea Sua Eyrum Via Spilum Endalaust 27. Throw Me The Statue 28. Raphael Saadiq – The Way I See It 29. Elbow – The Seldom Seen Kid 30. Kings Of Leon – Only By The Night 31. M83 – Saturdays = Youth 32. Buena Vista Social Club – Live At Carnegie Hall 33. Vetiver – Thing Of The Past 34. Wreckless Eric And Amy Rigby 35. Sun Kil Moon – April 36. Conor Oberst 37. Duffy – Rockferry 38. Girl Talk – Feed The Animals 39. Glen Campbell – Meet Glen Campbell 40. No Age – Nouns 41. Kathleen Edwards – Asking For Flowers 42. Hercules & Love Affair 43. Lindsey Buckingham – Gift Of Screws 44. The Gaslight Anthem – The 59 Sound 45. The Fireman And Youth – Electric Arguments 46. The Old 97’s – Blame It On Gravity 47. Ryan Adams And The Cardinals – Cardinology 48. The Killers – Day & Age 49. Calexico – Carried To Dust 50. Mercury Rev – Snowflake Midnight

#369 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

tremendous lists by mr. poon and autodafe

is this what usually happens around here

People having good taste?

Not really, LOL.

EDIT: Aw, yeah, Fennesz even made RG's list. I hope it does well in the final results.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#370 Rez

Rez

Neophyte

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

it's hard finding these kinds of lists more than once every other page or so. usually. i just saw 4 i loved in as much.

#371 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

1. Jenny Lewis –Acid Tongue

I really wanted to love this one, but came away only liking it.

13. Fennesz – Black Sea
22. Coldplay – Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
30. M83 – Saturdays = Youth
34. Sun Kil Moon – April
40. Kathleen Edwards – Asking For Flowers
47. The Killers – Day & Age
50. Lykke Li – Youth Novels

All awesome. Especially someone voting for Edwards, whom I thought put out one of the best albums of the year, it's looking like Top 10, maybe 5, for me.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#372 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

I really wanted to love this one, but came away only liking it.

13. Fennesz – Black Sea
22. Coldplay – Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
30. M83 – Saturdays = Youth
34. Sun Kil Moon – April
40. Kathleen Edwards – Asking For Flowers
47. The Killers – Day & Age
50. Lykke Li – Youth Novels

All awesome. Especially someone voting for Edwards, whom I thought put out one of the best albums of the year, it's looking like Top 10, maybe 5, for me.

Ha...Lykke jsut got bumped. Forgot about Raphael Saadiq.

#373 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

How the hell did this happen? Did you look at a side profile of her while you listened to the album?
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#374 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

How the hell did this happen? Did you look at a side profile of her while you listened to the album?

Sorry but I just love the album.

#375 Liffey

Liffey

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Final list: 1. Shugo Tokumaru - Exit 2. Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness 3. Chris Wood - Trespasser 4. Helios - Caesura 5. TV on the Radio - Dear Science, 6. White Hinterland - Phylactery Factory 7. Balmorhea - River Arms 8. Sigur R๓s - me๐ su๐ ํ eyrum vi๐ spilum endalaust 9. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs 10. Fleet Foxes - Ragged Wood 11. Gregor Samsa - Rest 12. Heidi Talbot - In Love And Light 13. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges 14. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago 15. The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Graves 16. Jade - Analogic 17. Declan de Barra - A Fire to Scare the Sun 18. Sam Shalabi - EID 19. Tickley Feather - Tickley Feather 20. Matthew Robert Cooper - Miniatures 21. The Bug - London Zoo 22. Aaron Martin - River Water 23. The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath 24. The Envy Corps - Dwell 25. Laura Marling - Alas, I Cannot Swim 26. Copeland - You Are My Sunshine 27. Cloud Cult - Feel Good Ghosts 28. Sun Kill Moon - April 29. M83 - Saturdays = Youth 30. Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires 31. Omar Rodrํguez-L๓pez - Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fungus 32. Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair 33. aus - Antwarps 34. Why? - Alopecia 35. Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping 36. Becoming the Archetype - Dichtonomy 37. Costa Music - Lighter Subjects 38. The Dodos - Visiter 39. Boris - Smile 40. Paavoharju - Laulu Laakson Kukista 41. Glasvegas - Glasvegas 42. The Raconteurs – Consolers of the Lonely 43. Jukebox The Ghost - Let Live and Let Ghosts 44. Phantom Planet - Raise the Dead 45. The Walkmen - You & Me 46. Parenthetical Girls - Entanglements 47. Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid 48. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles 49. Portishead - Third 50. Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing Had a lot of trouble deciding the order of 4-6 and 8/9. Was disappointed that I couldn't include Coldplay and The Drift anywhere.

#376 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

1. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
2. Dr. Dog - Fate
3. Tilly and the Wall - O
4. Black Kids - Partie Traumatic
5. Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
6. Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs
7. Mates of State - Re-Arrange Us
8. Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
9. Hold Steady - Stay Positive
10. Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue

11. Counting Crows - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings
12. Mudcrutch - Mudcrutch
13. Marianne Faithfull - Easy Come Easy Go
14. R.E.M. - Acclerate
15. Black Crowes - Warpaint
16. Steve Winwood - Nine Lives
17. John Mellencamp - Life, Death, Love and Freedom
18. Loudon Wainwright - Recovery
19. Rachael Yamagata - Loose Ends
20. Beck - Modern Guilt

Just when I lose all respect for you, you come up with a surprisngly good list like this.

#377 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

I thought that was a prank list of some kind.

#378 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

I thought that was a prank list of some kind.

Yeah, hard to tell with him I guess.

Notes on the thread:

1. I enjoy seeing the lurkers come out for this.
2. My first review of the thread and lists. Always amazed at the plethora of albums that I've either not heard or just couldn't put in my top 50 but on another day may well have placed.

#379 autodafe

autodafe

Neophyte

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

Forgot to add Eric Copeland's (Black Dice) solo EP 'Alien in a Garbage Dump'. For people who enjoy the Residents, Gang Gang Dance, Panda Bear, etc.
Posted Image

Auto Da Fe, what's an Auto Da Fe? It's when ya know ya hadn't oughta, ... but ya do it anyway -- Mel Brooks

#380 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

68. The Notwist – The Devil, You + Me

Is this really the only vote this album has gotten?

for fucking shame, people.
Posted Image