1009 replies to this topic

#101 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

The last minute or so still freaks the living shit out of me.

I made the mistake of putting disc 2 on when I went to bed one night, forgetting about that last minute. It scared me so much I literally fell out of my bed. Not a fun way to wake up.

You must have dreamt of dirty concrete and hobo piss stains.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#102 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

1. Opeth – Watershed
2. Genghis Tron – Board Up The House
3. Meshuggah – ObZen
4. Weezer – S/T (Red)
5. Metallica – Death Magnetic
6. Disfear – Live The Storm
7. Lair of The Minotaur – War Metal Battle Master
8. Gojira – The Way of All Flesh
9. Bob Mould – District Line
10. Enslaved – Vertebrae

11.Death Angel – Killing Season
12.Black Mountain – In The Future
13.Boris – Smile (Japan)
14.Tyr – Land
15.Nachtmystium – Assassins: Black Meddle Vol. 1
16.Ihsahn – Angl
17.To-Mera – Delusions
18.Q-Tip – The Renaissance
19.R.E.M. - Accelerate
20.The Hold Steady – Stay Positive
21.These New Puritans – Beat Pyramid
22.Bloc Party – Intimacy
23.Bauhaus – Go Away White
24.In Flames – A Sense Of Purpose
25.Saviours – Into Abaddon
26.Arsis – We Are The Nightmare
27.Sahg – II
28.Testament – The Formation of Damnation
29.The Sword – The Gods of the Earth
30.Torche – Meanderthal
31.Scar Symmetry – Holographic Universe
32.Wetnurse – Invisible City
33.Nine Inch Nails – The Slip
34.Nine Inch Nails – Ghosts I-IV
35.White Denim – Workout Holiday
36.Amon Amarth – Twilight of the Thunder God
37.Russian Circles – Station
38.Harvey Milk – Life ... The Best Game In Town
39.Darkthrone – Dark Thrones and White Flags
40.Motorhead – Motorizer
41.Bison B.C. - Quiet Earth
42.TV on The Radio – Dear Science

#103 SonicAlligator

SonicAlligator

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

22.Bloc Party – Intimacy

So this is worth a listen? I tossed it aside because of the seemingly constant negative reviews about it.
"Someone must be sleeping because all is quiet."
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#104 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

22.Bloc Party – Intimacy

So this is worth a listen? I tossed it aside because of the seemingly constant negative reviews about it.

Listen to it and judge for yourself. If you liked the first two, you should at least give it a go. I'm a pretty big fan, anyway, so I'd be biased. I didn't think it was Top 20 material (unlike their other two), but I listened to it/enjoyed it enough to at least give it a vote. I'll probably be one of the few, I know.

#105 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

Uhm, guys you know there is still like a month left in 08, right? I still have a list of like 8 albums I plan on digesting before beginning to tab a list.
Posted Image

#106 MuteSuperstar

MuteSuperstar

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:47 PM

5. Metallica – Death Magnetic

Fuck yeah, man.

Hope this album gets the credit it deserves. If I do an albums list it'll be my #2.
Kinda surprised not to see it at least in the lower reaches of Sask's list.

But good lord, I can't even fathom being as voracious as some of you cats. Just not enough time in the day.
When I see a list like Diesel or NewGrass I just shake my head at all the stuff I haven't even thought of listening to.

#107 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

reminder: Lupe Fiasco "The Cool" IS eligible this year
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#108 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

22.Bloc Party – Intimacy

it's quite hard to get past the first few tracks... but its not that terrible.

any expectations you have from Silent Alarm, let them go
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#109 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

Can someone make sure that yancy comes back to vote? I don't want to be the only one with the new Butch Walker album on my list.

i got that album paul... there will be at least 2 of us

Posted Image

"

#110 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

42. Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons...

good to see someone else is voting for this... i figured Sonic would have this on his list too

Posted Image

"

#111 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

26. Hello Voyager - Evangelista
25. Black Ice - AC/DC
24. She and Him - M. Ward
23. Kiri No Oto - Lawrence English
22. For Emma, Forever Ago - Bon Iver
21. Keningston Heights - Constantines
20. Devotion - Beach House
19. Sunlight To Blue, Blue to Blackness - Durutti Column
18. Boulder - Bitch and Ferron
17. Insurgentes - Steven Wilson
16. Christmas On Mars - The Flaming Lips
15. Luminarium - Tape
14. Vagabonds - Gary Louris
13. In The Future - Black Mountain
12. Shallow Graves - The Tallest Man On Earth
11. Walking Backwards - Clutchy Hopkins
10. Live at Gdansk - David Gilmour
9. July Skies - Branch Line Summers
8. Old Crow Medicine Show - Tennessee Pusher
7. Tinderbox - Fred Eaglesmith
6. The Felice Brothers - The Felice Brothers
5. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
4. Stay Positive - The Hold Steady
3. Brighter Than Creation's Dark - Drive By Truckers
2. Saturdays = Youth - M83

1. Chinese Democracy - Guns N Roses

Posted Image

"sounds like a vindictive madman plotting out those responsible for heinous acts. The melodies are all over the place, subsequently being hammered by power guitar solos. Axl launches into a triumphant, kinetic chorus of "nobody owes you not one god damned thing". The vocal work and musicianship are great, but that's not what sells it. It's the sincerity of the thing. You *believe* it. This isn't Ryan Adams trying to sell you another fake soap opera."
- The Felice Brothers

#112 SonicAlligator

SonicAlligator

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

good to see someone else is voting for this... i figured Sonic would have this on his list too

I couldn't get into it, man. I REALLY enjoyed Seven's Travels and You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having (I especially enjoy the instrumentals of these. Ant is tight). This album just felt..off. I don't know. Slug will bounce back though, he's a beast.
"Someone must be sleeping because all is quiet."
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#113 Liffey

Liffey

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

edit - new list on 19

#114 Ned Braden

Ned Braden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

Montana, I am really liking your 2-4. A lot.

Not sure where this is going to land on my own list, but how's about we let this little guy squeak into the top hundred?

Posted Image

Her Beauty is Raw and Wild

Yeah yeah, I know, I got a hard-on for Jonathan Richman. There's really some georgeous stuff in here though.
The lyrics in When We Refuse To Suffer... damn.
ign-presents-the-history-of-ninja-gaiden

#115 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:39 PM

21. Keningston Heights - Constantines

There are stretches on this album as good as anything else this year, then stretches of 'by-the-numbers' Constantines that leave you going "Yeah, yeah, I've heard this before, let's get on with it."

14. Vagabonds - Gary Louris."

Picked this up at a Used Book Sale for $1 and I actually really like it a lot. I'll probably have it in the same range, maybe even higher than you.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#116 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

Who the fuck is "Liffey"?
- The Felice Brothers

#117 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

where the fuck is hlllyh?! you guys are making me sad. you guys are going to make me cry. at least alopecia is getting some love. but still. dudes. and dudettes. c'mon.

#118 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

Wow. I spent maybe 3 minutes typing my list and I forgot a TON of stuff. Mainly Deerhoof, Why?, and Deathconsciousness

where do we gooo new?!!?

#119 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:10 PM

I couldn't get into it, man. I REALLY enjoyed Seven's Travels and You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having (I especially enjoy the instrumentals of these. Ant is tight). This album just felt..off. I don't know. Slug will bounce back though, he's a beast.

this radio station in Milwaukee has been giving tons of love to "Puppets" and "You" those might be the best tracks on the album, but i felt the album as a whole was pretty solid

Posted Image

"

#120 hinsey21

hinsey21

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:11 PM

1. Oasis-Dig Out Your Soul 2. Paul Weller-22 Dreams 3. M83-Saturdays=Youth 4. British Sea Power-Do You Like Rock Music? 5. Portishead-Third 6. Spiritualized-Songs in A & E 7. The Raveonettes-Lust Lust Lust 8. No Age-Nouns 9. TV On The Radio-Dear Science 10. Flight Of The Conchords-Flight Of The Conchords 11. Guns n Roses-Chinese Democracy 12. Black Crowes-Warpaint 13. Stereolab-Chemical Chords 14. Mudhoney-The Lucky Ones 15. Cut Copy-In Ghost Colors 16. Wire-Object 47 17. NIN-The Slip 18. Be Your Own Pet-Get Awkward 19. Deerhunter-Microcastle 20. Rem-Accelerate 21. Black Keys-Attack & Release 22. Fireman-Electric Arguments 23. Elvis Costello-Momofuku 24. Foxboro Hot Tubs-Stop Drop & Roll 25. Boris-Smile