• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 richard

richard

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:07 PM

Why has this album received such shitty reviews from critics? Other than AllMusic (who's ratings I would never trust), I haven't seen much praise by as many critics as I would have thought.

The review that bothers me the most is Jon Landau's 1971 Rolling Stones review of this album. Landau claims that:

"Ram is so incredibly inconsequential and so monumentally irrelevant..."

Why all the hate?

Either way - Fuck him and the rest of those critics. Maybe their cynicism was a result of their mourning over the end of the Beatles' -- whereas they couldn't immediately fathom the success of an ex-members solo album (since the Beatles 'officially' separated after McCartney was released). Or maybe, it was the fact that Ram sounded less Beatles-esque than they had hoped for.

This album is spectacular. The more spins it receives, the more I fall in love with it. I do agree with some critics that the songs may not be consistent with one another, leaving the album to seem like a mish-mash of random songs being thrown on the album -- but maybe that's what makes me like this album so much. I honestly don't give a shit that this album may feel 'unfinished' - almost every song on here is extremely fun and beautifully crafted.

The album intro 'Too Many People' is the only song I can't stand - no matter how many times I give it a chance. Everything from '3 Legs' to 'Long Haired Lady' is magnificent.

The highlight of the album, IMO, is 'Monkberry Moon Delight.'

Anyway, what's the SOMB opinion of this album?

Paul McCartney - Ram (Remastered)

Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man.

#2 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:07 PM

First.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#3 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

I heard this album for the first time last week. And I thought it was fucking awesome.

#4 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

easily his best solo album.

#5 richard

richard

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

I just want to stress the fuckin' monstrosity of 'Monkberry Moon Delight.' It's the best song on Ram and probably one of the greatest songs I think I've ever heard.

Enjoy.
Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man.

#6 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20700 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

Yeah we love it on here. 229 on our 1965-74 album list.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#7 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

Critics who dismiss(ed) Paul's solo work were/are fucking stupid and that's all that there is to say, really.

Ram is perfect pop music. It's "fun" and I guess "silly" and "slight," but it's PAUL FUCKING MCCARTNEY. In 1971. Writing and recording pop/rock songs. I mean, he was just writing songs in The Beatles like, not even two years before this album was made. The critics wanted "serious music" and "grand statements" like Plastic Ono Band and All Things Must Pass. "Ram On" and "The Back Seat of My Car" are just two songs whose melodies are perfectly worthy of Paul's previous band. The dude was heartbroken when the critics tore the album up because he tried making it the opposite of McCartney, what with the full production and multi-part epics. Yet quality of the songs, melodies, and production wasn't the point to critics in '71. They heard "Smile Away" and thought, "There goes Paul McCartney acting like a goofy jackass, with nothing important to say! Booooo." Idiots. Listening to music for all the wrong reasons. Paul was just one component of what made The Beatles the band that everybody loved and his solo work is a reflection of what he brought to the band as an individual creative force. And the same goes for all the other Beatles.

Critics called Led Zeppelin garbage because they "stole from the blues greats," too.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

#8 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

When I was younger, I totally fell for the critical stereotype of Paul McCartney. He was, to quote Uncle Buck, a "sillyheart". He wrote silly songs, love songs and simple pop songs. It was John who injected The Beatles with coolness, darkness and leanings towards pop-art and experimentalism! Of course, things were not that black-and-white with the John/Paul relationship and The Beatles but when you're 15, you identify with the guy pegged as The Cynical Smartass, not the guy who smiles a lot and is pegged as The Cute Leader. Then when guys really into pop/rock music turn 20 or so, many of them realize that a lot of that rock mythology is full of shit. Unfortunately, some folks take it too far and start bashing the hell out of John Lennon and turn on him, calling him an overrated, pretentious ass who was a dick because of how he handled his personal life. I'm not that guy. But I do feel like a douche for not realizing how awesome Paul McCartney was when I was younger.

"Monkberry Moon Delight" is a great example of Paul's awesome weirdness and pop genius. Hell, Man Man is considered "weird" by critics and hipsters in 2008 and this decades-old song has that ol' sillyheart Paul McCartney shouting things like "MY PIANO WAS BOLDLY OUTSPOKEN!!" Sounds pretty much like a fucking Man Man song, except way better.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#9 Ned Braden

Ned Braden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Shit's great. Rollingstone can eat weiners. And not in a good way. This is the one that made me into one of those "fuck you all, McCartney is better than the other beatles and it isn't even close" guys. Before that, I was even more of an ass. But yeah, the point is: awesome. Oh, and Paves, et al, I credit you for breaking my brain with McCartney II. On one hand, fuck you. On the more accurate hand, you were totally right. Stuff is mind-blowing.
ign-presents-the-history-of-ninja-gaiden

#10 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4402 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

There actually exists a mono mix for this album. I have heard it.

#11 theminimumcircus

theminimumcircus

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2124 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

Pretty good album. But underappreciated? I doubt it.
Wtf @ theminimuncircus retardly interjecting.

#12 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

I've never listened to a solo Paul McCarntney album. I am not elite, clearly, or well versed in music. But now I am listening to Ram and things are happening to me as a person. Paul McCartney II downloading. Essay to follow.

where do we gooo new?!!?

#13 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

"Temporary Secretary" will probably be the greatest song you've ever heard. Just letting you know now.
Posted Image

#14 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

I've never listened to a solo Paul McCarntney album.

I am not elite, clearly, or well versed in music.

But now I am listening to Ram and things are happening to me as a person.

Paul McCartney II downloading. Essay to follow.

I am looking forward to reading this.

#15 franty

franty

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

There actually exists a mono mix for this album.

I have heard it.

i have it on vinyl (brazilian pressing). great mix.... unfortunately i don't have the equipment to convert it to digital files...

#16 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

I'm kinda lukewarm to Ram, but "Too Many People" and "Back Seat of My Car" are great.

#17 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:58 PM

I can't follow up my promise of an essay. All I can say is that this is one of the most bizarre album's I've heard in a while. I really appreciate modern music, but sometimes I wonder if the quality of pop music has taken a great decline, especially when I'm listening to nearly perfect sounding melodies as there are on McCartney II.

where do we gooo new?!!?

#18 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

Some writing you may all be interested in:

http://solidlittlero...i-hope-you.html
http://solidlittlero...01_archive.html

Posted Image

#19 Ned Braden

Ned Braden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

Some writing you may all be interested in:

http://solidlittlero...i-hope-you.html
http://solidlittlero...01_archive.html

Yeah... that shit'll knock your ass out.
ign-presents-the-history-of-ninja-gaiden

#20 Stop Breathin'

Stop Breathin'

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

"Wings Greatest" is one of my top 100 of all time. I got it on vinyl when I was 11 and wore it the fuck out. That being said, I've never reached back into McCartney's solo catalog. Never even heard "Ram" start to finish. To be remedied....
because you're empty, and I'm empty