54 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

So, just got an email that a friend of mine is being taken into palliative care, setting up the inevitable home hospice. He has bone cancer. Grade school aged kids, a wife and loads of Irish relatives. He has a band and was set on releasing their second CD in November but he's been too weak to complete it. He's still going to try and knock it out and I sure hope he does. I know it'd mean a great deal to him. Anyway, Over the summer I gave him the Dylan Radio Shows, as he's a big fan of Bob. Now I feel the urge to help him in some way. Do I make him a meditative CD? Do I get him some comedy CD, a DVD, a book? And if one of those...which one. Hate to bring things down at the holidays, but hey, it's life.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Efrim

Efrim

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3280 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

Posted Image

#3 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:21 PM

Naw, he's a practicing Catholic and has a strong faith.

#4 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

He has a decent amount of time left?

Posted Image

#5 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

He has a decent amount of time left?

Posted Image

Pretty sure he watched it during its run.

#6 fenderbassman

fenderbassman

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

A huge bag of weed and your offer to bake them into brownies when you come over with your acoustic guitar.

#7 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

http://www.starregistry.com/

Buy a star.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#8 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

A huge bag of weed and your offer to bake them into brownies when you come over with your acoustic guitar.

The brownies baked with that special ingredient sounds intriguing. Of course he's probably soon to be on those THC/morphine meds.

http://www.starregistry.com/

Buy a star.

That would actually be good for a laugh and lift his spirits.

#9 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

I lost a (not close) friend to stomach cancer last year. Sent him a cd of piano music because I knew he enjoyed it. I'm not sure he even got a chance to listen to it since he went pretty quick. Rob you should probably go visit him. He's going to appreciate the company more than anything else.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#10 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

A call girl and a joint. If you can't flip that you can organize a private stripper party for around $500. All kinds of things can come out of that basic foundation (especially if you have champagne there).
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#11 sin city

sin city

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3518 posts

2 or 3 hookers. At the same time.
"even boarding in non-signature-view mode i feel your lists of concerts (no one cares) last.fm bullshit (ditto) and oversized .jpgs (srsly fuck off) may distract from my superior posts."

#12 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted Image

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#13 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Rob you should probably go visit him. He's going to appreciate the company more than anything else.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Sorry to hear about that :(

Fatherinlaw died of cancer in 2000...it's not fun, but I glad to hear your friend will be living in some comfort which was the best I could do for my fatherinlaw.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#14 le chaton

le chaton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

man that is intense. i'm assuming he's too ill to go out anywhere? it would be nice if you could plan something for him and his family (i.e. a day trip somewhere beautiful if he's well enough to travel in a car for an afternoon). or to experience something beautiful, like the ballet or orchestra or an art exhibit. or if possible, bring it to him. sorry i realize that's probably not much help. :(

#15 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Start a college fund for his kids.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#16 ryan

ryan

God of Goldens!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4892 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

Start a college fund for his kids.

Good call.

You could give the widow a hand with whatever goes into setting up a fund for donations or something of the sort. Not sure what the complexities would be, but a clear mind and someone willing to do a few hours of grunt work at a time like this would have to be appreciated. Things need to get done. In a relative sort of way, they're, if nothing else, semi-fortunate for having the opportunity to try and line things up before he passes. I'm sure any amount of time you could offer up would go a long way.

#17 Ned Braden

Ned Braden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1029 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

Bummer man, really sorry to hear. I think the college fund, as well as the personal company are probably the best ideas I've heard yet. Can't really think of anything better than that. Whatever your friend gets laughs out of I guess. Good luck to all.
ign-presents-the-history-of-ninja-gaiden

#18 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

The family's pretty well provided for. He is a very successful entrepreneur and started his own marketing company. I actually was just told my services will be needed as a DJ for a benefit in the near future. And, yeah, I'll be visiting him...probably at the hospital and then when he's on home hospice. We were all hoping for a CD release concert in November. And now I'm thinking the last show they did in early October may be it. Thankfully I was there.

#19 le chaton

le chaton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

God this is awful. Dare I ask how old he is?

#20 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

God this is awful. Dare I ask how old he is?

He's 47. Just all part of that circle of life.

When I saw the band last time, we talked after the show. Said he was going to take the family out of school that Monday and go to Ireland for a vacation. He said, "it's time". That's when I knew things weren't looking good. He's been in some real pain since his return.
Started doing radiation and guess it's not helping.

Still, he was diagnosed over 2 years ago and has been a real fighter. Did some experimental drugs, became very holistic, spiritual, etc. The doctors were impressed. But late summer the numbers started getting way high. And the cancer's been matasticizing to other organs in the last 6 months or so.