• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

The National Writing For New Album
The National
December 16, 2008 10:59 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
The National is "pretty far into the process of writing" its next album, which the band will record starting in April in group member Aaron Dessner's new home studio in Brooklyn's Ditmas Park neighborhood.

The new album will be the follow-up to 2007's "Boxer" (Beggars Banquet), which has sold a career-best 147,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The National is unlikely to return to the road until summer 2009, but will hit the stage Feb. 3 for the annual Tibet House benefit at New York's Carnegie Hall, alongside Philip Glass, Patti Smith and Vampire Weekend.

As previously reported, Aaron and his brother Bryce curated the upcoming AIDS benefit album "Dark Was the Night," due Feb. 17 from Beggars. The star-studded project boasts exclusive songs from Yo La Tengo, My Morning Jacket, Spoon, Bon Iver and Iron & Wine, among many others.

In the meantime, the Dessners have been collaborating on an instrumental project "focused on taking the way we play together and developing arrangements," Aaron Dessner tells Billboard.com.

"We did a few performances over the summer while we were on tour, like at festivals in France and Italy," Dessner says. "We performed at the White Cube Gallery in London while David Shepherd was manipulating the sound. It was really fun and inspiring."

The siblings will play again with Shepherd next month during an event at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and will also perform at the Bryce Dessner-organized Music Now Festival in Cincinnati.

"We're gearing up for possibly a really big performance together next fall, and then maybe to make a record," Dessner says. "This feeds our brains and lets us push ourselves. Either that, or it's incessant noodling."

At the outset, the duo was informally named Big Red Machine in a nod to the Dessners' Cincinnati hometown, but the brothers are now just going by their own names. "We think the Reds would get pissed off," Dessner says with a laugh. "They have the trademark."

http://www.billboard...003923029.story

#2 Nixon

Nixon

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:02 PM

One of my most anticipated albums ever. I read that Berninger told some people at a concert that it was probably going to be called "Shine." Sure hope not.

#3 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

this is one of the two or three seminal indie rock outfits right now
^_^

#4 Nixon

Nixon

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

who are the other one or two?

#5 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

Isn't it still a bit early for them to be seminal?

#6 Chicken Invaders!

Chicken Invaders!

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

Boxer, while really great, is extremely mannered. I hope the band cuts loose a bit for this next one. I sense that chances of this happening are slim, but I can hope.

#7 Nixon

Nixon

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

Boxer, while really great, is extremely mannered. I hope the band cuts loose a bit for this next one. I sense that chances of this happening are slim, but I can hope.

Yeah, after the success of Boxer I doubt there'll be anything like Murder Me Rachel or Available. Shame, because when Berninger lets loose vocally it's incredible. Not the typical "just so" scream where on the paper the lyrics were originally written on it probably said (SCREAM:). He sounds like he's totally losing his shit.

#8 pigfuck

pigfuck

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, after the success of Boxer I doubt there'll be anything like Murder Me Rachel or Available. Shame, because when Berninger lets loose vocally it's incredible. Not the typical "just so" scream where on the paper the lyrics were originally written on it probably said (SCREAM:). He sounds like he's totally losing his shit.

"my mind's not right" is the lyric of this generation, no doubt.
make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have an automobile race

#9 Liffey

Liffey

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

I read that Berninger told some people at a concert that it was probably going to be called "Shine." Sure hope not.

Me too.

Incredibly excited for this though. 2009 is gonna be such a badass year for music.

#10 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

according to their email list it's not gonna see day until 2010. however, that dressner comp looks sweet. needless to say i'm quite looking forward to this one release day aside.

#11 Nixon

Nixon

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

according to their email list it's not gonna see day until 2010. however, that dressner comp looks sweet.

needless to say i'm quite looking forward to this one release day aside.

2010? Bleghhh. If that's true it's like being punched in the stomach.

I think they're probably my favorite band.

#12 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6377 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

Not the way people orgasm all over for this band.

#13 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:49 PM

the other one or two are Spoon and a toss up of a bunch of different bands that i don't like as much (Hold Steady, Wilco, etc.)
^_^

#14 Liffey

Liffey

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

according to their email list it's not gonna see day until 2010. however, that dressner comp looks sweet.

needless to say i'm quite looking forward to this one release day aside.

2010? Bleghhh. If that's true it's like being punched in the stomach.

I think they're probably my favorite band.

They are my third

2010 = :(

#15 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:12 AM

Not the way people orgasm all over for this band.

oh, in that sense. Sure.

#16 Chicken Invaders!

Chicken Invaders!

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:44 AM

"my mind's not right" is the lyric of this generation, no doubt.

Sure, but I maintain his greatest moment vocally is at the end of "Available." He sounds truly unhinged. Chills down the spine, etc.

#17 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

idk guys... i got to sit in on a few of their soundchecks over the past year and a half and heard them fool around with a few new songs, one of which was super heavy/punky, so we'll see... ever since getting into them w/ Sad Songs they've surprised me with their follow-ups, so i'm thinking this will be no different in that aspect.

#18 twicks

twicks

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

I just had a premonition of me clicking on this very same thread about a year from now, looking for a leak.

#19 Chicken Invaders!

Chicken Invaders!

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:56 PM

idk guys... i got to sit in on a few of their soundchecks over the past year and a half and heard them fool around with a few new songs, one of which was super heavy/punky, so we'll see..

Well I do like the sound of that, then.

#20 nagode

nagode

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

the other one or two are Spoon and a toss up of a bunch of different bands that i don't like as much (Hold Steady, Wilco, etc.)

wilco is way past their prime and not indie anymore
"If you're young and not liberal, you have no heart. If you're old and not conservative, you have no mind."

-Winston Churchill

Posted Image