26 replies to this topic

#21 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3854 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

I don't watch boxing to see "two human beings beat the shit out of one another". God no.

OTM. Problem for a lot of people is they grew up in an age where boxing, through Don King's shenanigans and assholes like Tyson, increasingly rendered itself irrelevant. The show became everything outside the ring and not what happened in it. But if you go back and watch the Ali fights in the 60s and 70s, or even earlier footage of the great champions, you can see how much more "the sweet science' was than just a couple guys beating each other up.

I'll echo this sentiment (although I wasn't alive to witness those great Ali fights, but I've seen some on tape).

I wacthed some UFC with a friend a few weeks ago. I almost vomited. One guy took a roundhouse kick square to his face. He was lying on the mat twitching. At no point was I impressed with the athleticism. Like I said, I just wanted to be sick.

Boxing on the other hand, well I used to watch a good deal of boxing when it was free and/or on HBO. Those guys are true athletes. The problem(s) as others have notes involve the don king shenanigans, the fact the belts rarely seem to be unified, and the fact that fights are rarely televised on free tv, or even basic cable, so public interest has greatly diminished.

The sport just isn't what it used to be.

#22 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

Ultimate fighting is the most homo-erotic thing I've seen on television. I do not enjoy it in the least.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:58 PM

I don't watch boxing to see "two human beings beat the shit out of one another". God no. Boxing is not a classy sport but UFC is even less so. I don't want to watch two crown men grappling.

This statement I can get behind 100%.

#24 dice

dice

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

if you go back and watch the Ali fights in the 60s and 70s, or even earlier footage of the great champions, you can see how much more "the sweet science' was than just a couple guys beating each other up.

i agree that there's poetry to it. but that doesn't change the fact that the two men (or women) in the ring are putting themselves at significant risk for brain damage

the fact is, there hasn't been a heavyweight that's captured the public's imagination since tyson came on the scene
http://www.kiva.org

make a difference
99% repayment!

#25 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

if you go back and watch the Ali fights in the 60s and 70s, or even earlier footage of the great champions, you can see how much more "the sweet science' was than just a couple guys beating each other up.

i agree that there's poetry to it. but that doesn't change the fact that the two men (or women) in the ring are putting themselves at significant risk for brain damage

the fact is, there hasn't been a heavyweight that's captured the public's imagination since tyson came on the scene

and the equally true fact is that most real lovers of boxing find Tyson repellent and pathetic, both. We loved him when he nailed Spinks in 30 seconds. 20 years ago. His star has been on the descent ever since. I grant you that there are some who still love him, but every single one of those I have met has been an ignorant thug-life wannabe, and frankly, they don't even count as people, let alone boxing aficianados.

#26 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

I'd say Lennox Lewis was a pretty popular Heavyweight.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#27 RoBKoZ

RoBKoZ

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

I'd say Lennox Lewis was a pretty popular Heavyweight.

agreed...and his talent is severly underrated.