• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#41 simulated stereo

simulated stereo

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:28 AM

Sim Stereo, pretty good episodes of Raging Bullets. I really enjoyed the Doom Patrol discussion.

Really?

Cool.

Glad somebody listened. I think most of the other folks decided since it was more Morrison talk they'd give it a pass.
Posted Image

#42 Huckle

Huckle

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

It's been a great year. Tough as hell, and during the summer I was struggling as much as I ever have, but at this point, everything is great and getting better. Lesson learned: Love kids, hate newborns. Hate newborns.

THE GOOD
Welcomed my second son
Survived the first six months of said son (which were absolutely fucking murder -- but he's awesome now)
Survived the first six months of said son with regard to the relationship with my wife, which got rubbed real raw
Walked my first son to his new school every morning
Also taught him to ride a bike

Survived NPR's massive round of layoffs
Lots of house renovations, including all new windows, a new roof, a massive upgrade to the rental unit in the basement
Logged 5,000+ miles on my bike and 1,000+ miles on foot
Ran the Old Rag Mountain loop in 1:20:40, which beat my previous record by 8 minutes
Took the plunge into game consoles and got a 360 and Fallout 3, which I'm at around hour 60 of beating every possible goal/mission/conflict
Successfully logged three non-consecutive months of no booze or weed
Discovered Sun Kil Moon

THE BAD
Dipping habit is out of control, and all attempts to take a break failed w/in 24 hours
Still smoking more weed than I'd like
Had a major project at work crash and burn badly, which reverberated for months
Still ignoring/denying some health issues despite enormous waving red flags
Only saw 5-6 shows
Music intake dropped significantly this year
While proud of my exercise metrics achieved, those numbers are half of what I've accomplished in past years.
Relationship with wife still in a rebuilding stage
Took no exciting/adventurous trips the whole year
My cat of 17 years died. Got a new cat, and then he died too.
---------------------------------
Nobody knows I'm new wave

#43 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:54 AM

Sim Stereo, pretty good episodes of Raging Bullets. I really enjoyed the Doom Patrol discussion.

Really?

Cool.

Glad somebody listened. I think most of the other folks decided since it was more Morrison talk they'd give it a pass.

Smart move starting with the The Painting That Ate Paris tpb. That is truly when Morrison begins to put his on spin on the classic DP archetypes.

Really enjoyed the Crazy Jane insights and the Brotherhood of Dada discussion.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#44 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

Lost weight Made partner I don't know that I "accomplished" anything else, but I'm not much of a goals-oriented person...life just keeps on rolling along and I generally go where it takes me.

#45 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

I cooked approximately 300 dinners. I took care of one sick and elderly dog. I fed and cared for two healthy cats. I took above mentioned animals to the vet. I prepared about 200 lunches. I prepared about 20 different baked goods. I read two novels. I read ten works of non-fiction. I taught my son how to drive. I helped out with sick parent and in-laws. I vacuumed the house 350 times. I washed the kitchen floor about 300 times. I did well over 300 loads of laundry. I was on the computer approximately 2 hours per day. I did all the food shopping for the year. I did the holiday shopping. I went to the hair salon 12 times this year. I lost fifty pounds. I had a pedicure one time this year. I got a permit with the township to get a fence put in. I got estimates on fencing and oversaw PVC fencing put in. I got estimates for gutter guards and had them installed. I got estimates for a ding on my car and had that fixed. I fixed about 400 pots of coffee. I did yard work about 50 times this year. I planned our late summer vacation. I got all the animals to the vet for their shots and check-ups. I readied and packed for the vacation. I helped drive to the vacation. I managed to have a great time on the vacation. It isn't much, but that's what I accomplished. Happy New Year to everyone!
"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now....right now....Jesse Colin Young (Youngbloods). "Sugar, Sugar, honey, honey....you are my candygirl and you got me wantin' you.....*

#46 Meldrick Lewis

Meldrick Lewis

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

I'm sure I accomplished lots of stuff, probably.

#47 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

i can't imagine how many times i've wiped my ass this year.

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#48 Rad Monkey

Rad Monkey

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1861 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

I read two novels.
I read ten works of non-fiction.

If we're doing books, I've read about 25 books this years. Outside of assigned reading. A bit of a down year. I averaged a book a day for all of September of 2006, just to see if I could.

--------
--------

#49 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

bought a car (because my first car was stolen...ugh) took a trip to Curacao wrote a bunch got a good job two days after being laid off from a shitty job hmmm... other than that it's been a matter of enduring a worse than usual year. And it's almost over. Thank goodness for that.

#50 simulated stereo

simulated stereo

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

Really?

Cool.

Smart move starting with the The Painting That Ate Paris tpb. That is truly when Morrison begins to put his on spin on the classic DP archetypes.

Really enjoyed the Crazy Jane insights and the Brotherhood of Dada discussion.

Yeah Painting That Ate Paris is probably my favorite Doom Patrol trade for precisely the reason you mentioned. Of course if Musclebound included the Flex Mentallo mini, it would be my favorite. At any rate, really glad you liked the episodes.
Posted Image

#51 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

What do you think of Morrison carrying over the ideas of Flex Mentallo to DCU proper in Superman Beyond 3-D?
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#52 simulated stereo

simulated stereo

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

What do you think of Morrison carrying over the ideas of Flex Mentallo to DCU proper in Superman Beyond 3-D?

Man I was and still am in love with Superman Beyond. Personally I think it's just what the DCU needs. I mean, they're always going to be #2 as long as they try to imitate #1 (Marvel). Instead they really should broaden the scope of their universe and bring in really diverse and unusual methods of storytelling. Superman Beyond was an even bigger Borges love letter than the first Doom Patrol trade and I can't imagine ever seeing something that cool over at Marvel. I'm also really happy seeing DC finally accept their long, weird history rather than ignoring it. Not sure if that answered your question or not.
Posted Image

#53 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

In order of importance

- Became a competent message board user
- Placed Deerhoof's - Offend Maggie as my #1 album of the year
- Watched a lot of football
- Learnt 'Hearts Alive' on guitar
- Had fun driving cars
- Completed my under-graduate degree

Nice!

-Got more big presents from a boyfriend than ever before
-Made 3 new girlfriends thus forming a clique, something I haven't had since high school
-Learned Italian
-Started a club
-Scored a cool apartment in my dream section of the city
-Straight A's
-Got back in touch with 3 of 4 old friends I'd wanted to, last one is an '09 goal

#54 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

• Lost about 30 pounds, still about 10-15 to go
  • Made some music
  • Got my overtime reinstated, with back OT for 2 1/2 years (took about 4 months, but it was worth it)
  • Visited the San Diego Zoo about twice a month, Wild Animal Park about once a month, Sea World about twice a month, Disneyland once a month
  • Saw a baby Giraffe born
  • Flew to Chicago twice, but with such screwed up plans that I was unable to meet any SOMBies
  • Swam with my Gran'Daughter at my Wife's Family Reunion
  • Had my old Swiss Army Knife & Leatherman tool seized by the TSA without getting myself arrested
  • Survived a minor stroke
  • helped set up the database, on-line environments & batch processing for the 747-8 & 787 catalogs (I'm doing Customer Requirement testing on the 787 right now)

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#55 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

• Survived a minor stroke

*high five*
Oh, and thanks for the b-day wish.

#56 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

-broke up w/ numerous hot & spicy women over trivial matters -saw a man bust a nut all over a guys ass -smoked a cuban cigar -became administrator on lopp - was involved in a school shooting - got a blow job from a drunk asian chick right after taking a girl to a jackie chan movie - did terrible in school - listened to a lot of weezer - made some new friends - saved an old woman's life while walking home from class. all in all a good year
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

-Got offered 3k by internet user Damo Suzuki, to sleep with internet user Pavement Ist Rad.

#58 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

- bathed in his own tears

I cooked approximately 300 dinners.
I took care of one sick and elderly dog.
I fed and cared for two healthy cats.
I took above mentioned animals to the vet.
I prepared about 200 lunches.
I prepared about 20 different baked goods.
I read two novels.
I read ten works of non-fiction.
I taught my son how to drive.
I helped out with sick parent and in-laws.
I vacuumed the house 350 times.
I washed the kitchen floor about 300 times.
I did well over 300 loads of laundry.
I was on the computer approximately 2 hours per day.
I did all the food shopping for the year.
I did the holiday shopping.
I went to the hair salon 12 times this year.
I lost fifty pounds.
I had a pedicure one time this year.
I got a permit with the township to get a fence put in.
I got estimates on fencing and oversaw PVC fencing put in.
I got estimates for gutter guards and had them installed.
I got estimates for a ding on my car and had that fixed.
I fixed about 400 pots of coffee.
I did yard work about 50 times this year.
I planned our late summer vacation.
I got all the animals to the vet for their shots and check-ups.
I readied and packed for the vacation.
I helped drive to the vacation.
I managed to have a great time on the vacation.

It isn't much, but that's what I accomplished.
Happy New Year to everyone!

B)
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#59 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

Broke 3 bones in three separate incidences. I'm very uncoordinated.

PWNED!
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

Slap Nutz, what about the old lady whose life you saved?