1137 replies to this topic

#301 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

“Yeah, this band have almost certainly been taking lots of sugar in the studio.” - Mitchell

#56.

Posted Image

Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster...

(1138 Points, 18 Votes, One #1 Vote)

US Chart Position
: n/a

UK Chart Position: #72

Charting Singles: n/a

Pitchfork Review: "For all its unabashed indie fandom, Hold on Now, Youngster... varies from the music it worships in a very fundamental way. No one will ever call Los Campesinos! "shambling", as John Peel termed the twee-pop set, nor will they be called slackers, like their heroes Pavement, because this debut is unusually taut and polished, with hooks, crescendos, and clever turns of phrase nearly always in the right place. Yeah, they've started recycling a couple of their tricks, like Ballboy-esque spoken-word outros, and their youthful, shouty vocals won't be for everyone. But in the album's highlight, "Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks", the guitars jangle in one speaker and squawk in the other, building up to a gleeful chant-- "One blink for yes, two blinks for no!"-- that caps one of the most triumphant indie-pop songs you're likely to hear in 2008. Cynics will no doubt tar the band's admirers as undeveloped, ignorant, or stupid. But we're happy." (8.4)

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Albums Lists: n/a

Ranked Highest By: Midnite_Vulture(#1)

Also Ranked By: scarymuppet (#2), worrywort (#3)

Amazon Link

#302 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

“I was disappointed to see that they've cleaned up their look. I dug the child molester facial hair.” - Sickpup

#55.

Posted Image

Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night

(1175 Points, 22 Votes, One #1 Vote)

US Chart Position
: #5

UK Chart Position: #1

Charting Singles: "Sex on Fire" (#56 Hot 100, #1 Modern Rock), "Use Somebody" (#86 Hot 100)

Pitchfork Review: "At its best, Only By the Night at least gives the impression that Kings of Leon is actually an interesting band that would be exponentially and immediately improved with someone even average at the controls (call it the Tavaris Jackson Corollary). Musically, "Closer" sets the bar unrealistically high for the rest of the album, building on squeaking, modulated keys, tricky polyrhythms, and a solid melody unfortunately piledrived by Followill's self-pity ("You took my heart and you took my soul.../ Leaving me stranded in love on my own"). "Crawl" could pass for something off the first Secret Machines record with its hydraulic, distorted bass and hotly mixed percussion, but even before they can seal the deal with some dubious conspiracy mongering (something about the red, white, and blue crucifying you), you get the usual KoL idea of sweetalk: "You better learn to crawl before I walk away." Next thing you know, "Sex on Fire" starts and Kings of Leon's fourth album has peaked after seven minutes. Surely, we can do better for the platonic ideal of a rock band than four guys gunning for a spot rightfully inhabited by My Morning Jacket but instead coming up with the best songs 3 Doors Down never wrote." (3.8)

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Albums Lists: "Aha Shake Heartbreak" (#60 of 2005), "Because of the Times" (#59 of 2007)

Ranked Highest By: Guided By Ohio (#1)

Also Ranked By: qwerty, TSLOW, The Gram (#4)

Amazon Link

#303 worrywort

worrywort

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

i wonder if Accelerate will be + / - 45th place. I am thinking higher. Accelerate = the Get Behind Me Satan of 2008
Posted ImagePosted Image

#304 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

“Dude has The Dylan-to-Mountain Goats tip covered nice and fine.” - Meldrick Lewis

#54.

Posted Image

The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Graves

(1178 Points, 16 Votes, One #1 Vote)

US Chart Position
: n/a

UK Chart Position: n/a

Pitchfork Review: "Matsson released a self-titled five-song EP in 2007; Shallow Grave is his full-length debut. The production is appropriately scrappy, and it seems relatively safe to assume that the album was recorded live with one microphone-- accordingly, we hear the scratch of fingernails on string (and, on occasion, the chirping of birds in the background), made privy to each tiny exhalation and sigh. Matsson is an adept fingerpicker, and his guitar is easily as central as his voice, which is high, crackling, and rich. Much like Dylan himself, Matsson has mined the American south for inspiration, and his frantic strumming and front-porch poetry recall everyone from the Carter Family to Lead Belly to, most noticeably, country bluesman Mississippi John Hurt.

"The Blizzard's Never Seen the Desert Sands" sees Matsson caw little poems ("And the bells up in the tower they will ring/ And the frightened little choirs they will sing/ They will tremble, all their voices") over plucked banjo; "The Gardener" features a robustly strummed guitar melody and more half-cogent ideas ("I know the runner's gonna tell you/ There ain't no cowboy in my hair/ So now he's buried by the daisies/ So I can stay the tallest man in your eyes, babe"). Matsson's lyrics don't stand up as well on paper as they do in song (some have all the logic of fairy tales), but each of these cuts has a distinct, if muddled, narrative-- sparrows, tranquilizer guns, curtains, unicorns. Road stories, love stories, prayers." (8.3)

Ranked Highest By: jellyfish (#1)

Also Ranked By: solace (#2), washing machine, Ella Isquire (#3), SonicAlligator, The Luscious Phil (#5)

Amazon Link

#305 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

“I admit I was very suspicious about this chick as usually the more I'd like to sleep with a singer the less there are chances her music might be anything else than utter crap, but I actually dig that album pretty much. I like her voice. (Maybe not as much as her boobs, okay)” - sknot

#53.

Posted Image

She & Him - Volume One

(1183 Points, 23 Votes, One #1 Vote)

US Chart Position
: #71

UK Chart Position: n/a

Pitchfork Review: "But Ward and the team he gathered for two Portland, Ore., sessions in Fall 2006 and Winter 2007-- Norfolk & Western/Decemberists/M. Ward drummer Rachel Blumberg, Saddle Creek production mainstay Mike Mogis, Devotchka violinist Tom Hagerman-- are invaluable to Volume One. Deschanel writes old pop songs built around black-and-white, simplistic emotions and dotted with vintage sexual innuendo (see "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?" and "Black Hole"). Her precious delivery suggests Loretta Lynn or any number of jazz vocalists minus a bit of brio, and the band-- which either builds gradually into its walls of sound or keeps things spartan and pristine-- helps the songs make sense. Ward provides an anxious staccato string arrangement and a Mellotron hum on "Sentimental Heart", teasing an optimism that, like Deschanel's romanticism, is always denied. Above Mogis' plaintive steel sighs and Ward's indifferent acoustic waltz on "Change Is Hard", her fragility becomes personal and endearing. Blumberg's big drums and Ward's stuttering electric line offer a platform for her elation on "I Was Made For You", and when Ward trails her voice on "You Really Got a Hold on Me", he's the perfect complement, his voice the shadow behind her sunlight.

Deschanel is more convincing when she's on an extreme end of romance-- either losing it or being swept into it-- than when she's trying to rationalize it. She makes that mistake three times on Volume One. The other sense of disappointment here comes from the promise Volume One suggests but doesn't deliver: Deschanel's writing is too canny ("Why do you edit? Give me credit") and her voice too natural (listen for that Feist-like crack on "Change is Hard") to sit on the tribute shelf very long. Granted, the retro exuberance here will be what sells She & Him to those beyond the indie realm. Don't be surprised when Garrison Keillor jumps on board. But with this successful introduction and the admitted homage to influences it entails finished, Deschanel has a solid foundation for building her own classic sound. After all, she's a readymade star who's already found a pretty fantastic facilitator in him. " (7.4)

Ranked Highest By: Alright Still (#1)

Also Ranked By: Rob Gordon, petras (#4), Elemeno P.T. (#5)

Amazon Link

#306 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

Pretty dire stretch here

#307 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

So Matthew Ryan isn't going to place at all huh? I mean there was a decent thread on him, but it was pretty much Hero, B*derty, and myself.

:(

the thread still exists and is awesome.
you and i voted "Some Streets Lead Nowhere" very high and i believe we were the only 2 votes
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#308 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

The is the last one for right now. I'll be back around 4 or 4:30 and finish up through #41.

“Considering how old they are, I really think people should be pleased. I mean, really. Combined they're like 500 or something.” - Ella Isquire

#52.

Posted Image

R.E.M. - Accelerate

(1228 Points, 28 Votes)

US Chart Position
: #2

UK Chart Position: #1

Charting Singles: "Supernatural Superserious" (#85 Hot 100, #36 Mainstream Rock, #21 Modern Rock)

Pitchfork Review: "Accelerate is the name of R.E.M.'s new album, the band's 14th, and it attempts to port that newfound vigor to the studio, not just by trading longtime producer Pat McCarthy (on board since 1998's Up) for U2 associate Jacknife Lee, but also by paring down the excess and sharpening the focus. Accelerate might as well be called Reverse, as it self-consciously aspires to recapture the spirit (if not necessarily the sound) of R.E.M.'s prime. Throughout its 11 songs and 35 minutes, only two tracks top the four-minute mark, and many run less than three. But velocity is not the same thing as vitality, and brevity is not the same thing as urgency. Accelerate ultimately isn't so much a back-to-basics move as a redefinition of what "basic" even means to an arena rock band. Accelerate's broad strokes, big riffs, and beefy production (the album was reportedly recorded in "just" nine weeks) are admirable, as is the disc's concision, but its success is still more as a step forward than a slam dunk.

Still, the very fact that R.E.M. recognized a problem and made an effort to remedy it is pretty impressive from a band of their stature. You can immediately hear the results on the lead song "Living Well Is the Best Revenge": Jacknife Lee has given the track (and the rest of the album) a refreshing sense of grit that's at odds with McCarthy's fussier studio constructions. Peter Buck's guitar rings and chimes with a layer of aggression one step beyond that of Monster, the band's previous "rock" record. Drummer Bill Rieflin plays with a Ministry-honed power, Mike Mills' backing vocals are absolutely key, and Michael Stipe's vocals are gruff, pissed off, and mixed low enough to make the lyrics tricky to make out." (6.7)

Ranked Highest By: Sam (#4)

Also Ranked By: Ramona (#5)

Amazon Link

#309 worrywort

worrywort

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

good placement
Posted ImagePosted Image

#310 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It

i really enjoyed this album. i ranked it pretty high, too. i guess i'm surprised by that because i've never really been a big fan of motown. and i'm not really a fan of artists trying to fool anyone into thinking their records are out of a time capsule. but this one worked pretty well. though i can't help but think i would've adored it had it been done with a rougher sound closer in line with stax's.

#311 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

Kings of fucking Leon? well, at least they're not in the top 50.

#312 stignasty

stignasty

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:12 PM

R.E.M. - Accelerate

I'm surprised by that.
Posted Image
"Sometimes I think nothing is simple but the feeling of pain." - Lester Bangs

#313 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

Was hoping She & Him and Dr Dog would finish in the blurb zone. R.E.M. placement seems about right, though the fact that the best song they've produced in at least 10 years, "Man-Sized Wreath" got one vote in the singles poll pretty much solidifies my belief that the singles thread doesn't really amount to anything close to an accurate statement on what were the best songs in 2008.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#314 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

Pretty dire stretch here

OTM statement, thankfully though they weren't in the blurb section.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#315 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

Pretty dire stretch here

Who are you and what have you done with Mitchell? :P I don't know you since you left James out of your top 50.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#316 Pookie

Pookie

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

R.E.M. - Accelerate

I'm surprised by that.

Well, they've only had one studio album (before Accelerate) since 2001, which was before we did an album poll, and that was Around the Sun, so it does make sense.

#317 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

Pretty dire stretch here

Who are you and what have you done with Mitchell? :P I don't know you since you left James out of your top 50.

I didn't leave it out, I thought there were (more) than 50 records better than it.

These albums aren't terrible, just not particularly interesting to me. In a sense that the surely forthcoming Conor Oberst and Beck albums are to me and likely Glasvegas and British Sea Power are to others.

This was just a bunch of OK or terrible albums, I'd preferred a stretch of ten albums I've not heard.

R.E.M. placement seems about right, though the fact that the best song they've produced in at least 10 years, "Man-Sized Wreath" got one vote in the singles poll pretty much solidifies my belief that the singles thread doesn't really amount to anything close to an accurate statement on what were the best songs in 2008.

Very peculiar stance. Maybe, people just aren't interested in listening to REM in 2008?
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#318 Tongue-Tied

Tongue-Tied

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

what a weird stretch of albums there.
Posted Image

#319 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

nothing dire about the tallest man on earth. the others, however... bring on the top 50.

#320 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

nothing dire about the tallest man on earth. the others, however...