1137 replies to this topic

#801 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

I wasn't a big fan of Album to be honest.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#802 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

weezer placed already so this list is already over pretty much just a bunch of fleet foxes and animal bands to come
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#803 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

[size=5]“There's like 6 or 7 songs on here that are just absolutely mindblowingly incredible and 7 or 8 that are just greaaaaaaaaaat.” - Chronodiggity

#11.

Posted Image

Ranked Highest By: MattDrufke, simakos, Hewletts Daughter, Le Bunk, RadioHitchcock, Man Is Matter (#1)

Amazon Link

Shit flag alert right there.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#804 Easily Fooled

Easily Fooled

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

I figured The Midnight Organ Fight was a lock for top 5, knowing the FR fanbase on here. Kind of disappointed that it didn't even make top 10.

did some votes get overlooked? i was pretty sure chrono had that at #1 or something

forgive me if im pulling this out of my ass
I like ice cream.

#805 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

I DEMAND A RECOUNT FRIGHTENED RABBIT MUST GET THE RANKING IT DESERVES
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#806 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

Endless Summer should have been higher. Obviously.

In the 2001 poll?

Posted Image

#807 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Just when I thought the Jim & Greg decision wasn't going to have any real effect...

:huh:

Only five places higher.

Long as they don't decide #1.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#808 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

endless bummer
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#809 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

“When I'm not thinking about how great this album is I'm thinking about how great their live show will be playing this album.” - Nick`

#9.

Posted Image

British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?

(3606 Points, 48 Votes, Three #1 Votes)

US Chart Position
: #5 (Heatseekers)

UK Chart Position: #10

Charting Singles: n/a

SOMB Says: Following on from the opening, fidgeting drumbeat, there’s a drop out before Noble’s piercing wail of guitar breaks through the wash and screams into the sky. This how soon it is before you can tell that British Sea Power have managed to marry up the frenzied messiness of The Decline of… and polished sheen and restrained grace of Open Season.

I considered writing this review along the lines of the Rock Music / Non-Rock Music concept a la the PR as the album was coming out (http://www.guardian....cornonrockmusic) The only Non-Rock Music items to do with this album on my list though were slipping a disc whilst stage diving and Stephen M. Deusner.

I don’t want to dwell on how a number of US critics, not just Pitchfork, completely misunderstood this record but it’s the elephant in the room. Comparing the record to the output of 21st Century U2 and criticising the lyrics for not having an emotional resonance, when it’s clear that since their inception, British Sea Power have favoured the Big Music stylings of Echo and The Bunnymen and that the lyrics and the subject matter on this album are less obtuse than before. OK, they still sings songs about the Bird Flu, immigration, floods and Wrestling but what are those but if not examples of writing what you know? Accusing the band of having their noses stuck in history books seems churlish when most Indie bands in the UK can’t write about beyond what goes on past their fringes let alone Camden High Street. Must we have our hands held through everything? These subjects are what we find in the news, the reverb and feedback of life.

It’s also, with the production of Howard Billerman fêted for comparison to Arcade Fire; but would British Sea Power ever perform a song as insular as “My Body Is a Cage”? The tag of rockier Arcade Fire attached itself to DYLRM? from an early stage came as an acknowledgement of an attempt to go mainstream but elsewhere on the record Graham Sutton, of Bark Psychosis, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor co-founder Efrim Menuck are on production duties in the forests of Czech Republic and the crumbling facade and pigeon shit of Tregantle Fort in Cornwall. Where does this fit in with this theory?

This is a proper indie band shooting for the moon and carrying on the ambition seen in the aforementioned Bunnymen’s Porcupine mixing in the more American influences of The Replacements and Hüsker Dü with the usual influences found on the previous two albums. Beautifully book-ended by “All in It” beckoning us to join together (another flag waving call for inclusiveness that went over the heads of a few critics but not the thousands of heads in the fields of Glastonbury) and the comedown of “We Close our Eyes”, although personally I’d have finished with b-side “Everyone Must Be Saved” Between is some of the most thrilling Indie guitar music from the UK this year.

“Lights Out…” describes the campaign for reducing light pollution amid a backdrop of rasping Surfer Rosa guitars before the big festival anthems: “No Lucifer”, aping a recent atheist bus campaign ‘There’s probably no God, so stop worrying and enjoy life” comes to a surer position on whether Satan is real amid Abi Fry’s fiddle and Big Daddy’s “E-say, e-say, e-say” chant. Secondly there is “Waving Flags” a sky-scrapping call to arms in appreciation for the drinking capacity and work ethic of the 2004 entries to the European Union while they are here. Joining a few of the rougher, readier riff farms taken from 2007’s Krankenhouse? EP in the middle of the record. (“Down on The Ground”, “A Trip Out” and the air-raid siren din of “Atom”), are the lush lullaby to the victims of the 1953 North Sea floods (including the records of Canvey Island FC) dripping with the portent of HN51outbreak and memory of the 2007 flooding and the epic beauty of “The Great Skua” a wordless love letter to the Arctic bird as sincere as “Larsen B” was to the Antarctic ice shelf. It is fair to say that this is very much the album where Hamilton assumed equal footing with his voice no longer cooing his way through the quieter, tranquil moment but roaring like an off shore gale as forcefully as his brother. It’s a more subdued Hamilton treading carefully through "No Need to Cry" and "Open the Door" in a relaxing drift out to sea after the battering of the first two thirds of the record.

The success of this album and of this band is what UK Indie needs. There are too many festivals topped by the Razorlights, Scouting For Girls, Kooks and Colons of the world pandering to people who wouldn’t have been reading the NME in 1998, let alone 1988. Just a look at the slevenotes mentioning The Disco Drug Store in Chatham High Street and that “all the nice girls love a pasty” is a glorious throwback to when indie meant DIY sleeves, C-86 and John Peel sessions. How many more post “Wonderwall”, post “The Drugs Don’t Work” post Diana, caring, wet indie anthems are we going to mope through? How many sub-prime Libertines are still being signed in a pathetic mirror of the post-Cobain malaise in the US?

Just this year British Sea Power held their own festival in the highest pub in England (which saw several Arctic Monkeys and Klaxon’s turn up on James Ford’s stage do) celebrated by brewing their own ale, playing Canvey Island, the Natural History Museum, The Czech Embassy, Greco Roman Wrestling on Jools Holland, appearing with The London Bulgarian Choir on stage to brilliant effect and hosting a section on BBC One’s Countryfile. In a music climate where the soundtrack to a Sunday afternoon discussing tracker mortgages is the same as that earnestly pouring out of the laptops of freshers we need more big, ambitious strikes on the mainstream from bands like British Sea Power in 2009 and beyond. - Mitchell

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Albums Lists: “Open Season” (#46 of 2005)

Ranked Highest By: Sam, amotin, Torrance (#1)

Also Ranked By: demonclearner, Rob Gordon, Waterloo, carl (#2), frankie say relax, Mitchell, Sickpup (#3), hinsey21, RabbiSchmoiley (#4), spiritofeden, Paper Tiger, Ogawa, Lewis, Pookie (#5)

Amazon Link

#810 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

I DEMAND A RECOUNT

FRIGHTENED RABBIT MUST GET THE RANKING IT DESERVES

hehe
- The Felice Brothers

#811 Easily Fooled

Easily Fooled

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

I DEMAND A RECOUNT

FRIGHTENED RABBIT MUST GET THE RANKING IT DESERVES

i could give a fuck about them, just making an observation
I like ice cream.

#812 Ringo Is My Name

Ringo Is My Name

Neophyte

• Members
  • 27 posts

Dig! is just a bit fantastic. As always, Cave delivered. All the songs I saw them do from it were pulled off superbly as well.

#813 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

Had no idea that anybody liked British Sea Power except for Mitchell Stirling and other prissy anglophiles. Might have to check them out so I can know what real indie rock sounds like!
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#814 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

I figured The Midnight Organ Fight was a lock for top 5, knowing the FR fanbase on here. Kind of disappointed that it didn't even make top 10.

did some votes get overlooked? i was pretty sure chrono had that at #1 or something

I didn't know Chrono had that at #1.
- The Felice Brothers

#815 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

Endless Summer should have been higher. Obviously.

In the 2001 poll?

Yes :(

#816 Easily Fooled

Easily Fooled

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

forgive me then
I like ice cream.

#817 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

[size=5][b] “This dad approves.” - Rob Gordon

#14.

Posted Image

Can't think of a song on this that isn't a keeper. Anyone who drives down the highway listening to "Magazines" and doesn't get a speeding ticket b/c they stepped on the gas as they were singing along has never paid the price of great rock. (I know, that didn't make any sense, but jesus, saying nice shit is hard when you're out of practice.)

Most of my Ten have made the list. Gotta guess Glenn Campbell won'tbe Top Five, though.

#818 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

This thread is kinda like a failed attempt at climbing treacherous mountain. It's pretty tough for most of the ascent (No Age, Coldplay) yet every so often you get a sense that you are doing something really worth while (Genghis Tron, Flying Lotus). Reaching the summit is glorious moment (Weezer) but unfortunately, when decending, you slip and implale yourself on a jagged rock (Blitzen Trapper). It's not immediately fatal but over the next hour or so life slowly drains away (#11-#2). But, just as begin to breathe your last there is a shining light which still gives you hope (Portishead, hopefully).

#819 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

elsewhere on the record Graham Sutton, of Bark Psychosis, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor co-founder Efrim Menuck

Wait, what.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#820 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

forgive me then

I have no idea what Chrono's list even was. I think it just disappeared into a roaming cloud of pot smoke at some point.
- The Felice Brothers