1137 replies to this topic

#101 77 or 88

77 or 88

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

good work Paul, thanks for putting everything together

"hello i hate your fucking guts fuck you i hate your fucking guts i hate your fucking guts i hate your fucking guts i hate this fucking machine i don't know how the fuck to use it i hate your fucking guts i'm gonna make my own fucking music"

#102 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

damn... figured Dodos would have been way higher too thanks Paul

#103 Spengler

Spengler

Neophyte

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

Saturnalia was very good.

as a Lanegan & Dulli fanboy i gotta admit i was kinda let down by it...

not that i didn't enjoy plenty of it, but it was more like a 6.5/7 record when i'd hoped/expected an 8.5/9

To be honest, my only experience with Lanegan is through this album and the Isobel Campbell collaborations.

#104 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

To be honest, my only experience with Lanegan is through this album and the Isobel Campbell collaborations.

:blink:

you should remedy that immediately!

#105 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

Very nice, Paul. As usual, I see I have a lot of learning to do. Without taking advantage of Spirit's thread. Well, I loves me a challenge.

#106 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

I think the record sales argument should be kept out of this thread. Even more so when it's wrong.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#107 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

I think the record sales argument should be kept out of this thread. Even more so when it's wrong.

well it's not even an apt argument. By that logic McDonald's is the best food in the world.

#108 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

SPOILER: #1 is the Alicia Keys album from 2007

#109 Waterloo

Waterloo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:22 PM

great job Paul!! happy to see LSP making the cut.

#110 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

well it's not even an apt argument. By that logic McDonald's is the best food in the world.

Aw, man! You mean my food isn't supposed to sit as an undigestible lump in my colon for a day and a half?

What have I been missing all these wasted years?

#111 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

re: Rajexico

LindstrÝm might do okay.

Don't know if Radio Scarecrow has a chance at top 50, but it's probably going to be in the upper reaches of 51-100.

True. I'm not enough of a Mitchell-style poll-watcher to have a very good sense of where things will land.

In the future there is only drink and birds.

lastfm

#112 Heretix

Heretix

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

It's pretty promising so far. Yeah, a shocker that Beach House was so low but I don't think it deserves to be much higher anyway... thread is going to finally make me check out Imperial Wax Solvent and Treny, two albums I've been idly meaning to hear since they came out.

#113 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

People who voted Black Dog generally voted pretty high so with this weighting system, it definitely has a shot.

#114 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Wow. Most of the best electronic albums of the year (Jacaszek, Bruno Pronsato, Move D) gone already.

Electronic-wise it's now mostly just a matter of waiting to see how high Radio Scarecrow can soar.

i still expect to see max tundra come up.

i'm a little disappointed osborne didn't get much attention. only two votes (at #4 and #8) for what i thought was a really impressive electronic debut.

#115 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

this is going to be the most severe bottom 50 > top 50 ever, isn't it

Not if Torche, Elbow, Opeth or Genghis Tron make the top 50, it sure the hell isn't.

edit: Nice job Paul, as always. I like your use of opening quotes this time around.

#116 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

Opeth does not stand a chance in this poll.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#117 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hmm, wouldn't hold my breath for that. Harvey Milk is probably the only metal that stands a reasonable chance of getting anywhere near the top 40 since there were a quite a few #1 votes for it. edit: paves otm Wouldn't be surprised if Opeth misses out altogether, actually.

#118 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

EDIT: And then we get Chinese Democracy beating all of them...

Nowt wrong with that.

Posted Image

#119 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Wow. Most of the best electronic albums of the year (Jacaszek, Bruno Pronsato, Move D) gone already.

Electronic-wise it's now mostly just a matter of waiting to see how high Radio Scarecrow can soar.

i still expect to see max tundra come up.

I suppose I don't really think of PEBY when I think of electronic albums, but yeah, I hope it goes high.

In the future there is only drink and birds.

lastfm

#120 Soundscape

Soundscape

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

I didn't vote Opeth very high..in other years I might have, I just didn't find WATERSHED to be that incredible or addictive. I question whether that may have impacted if it would have placed, but it'll be interesting to see the final numbers if in fact it may have. The only thing I know and voted for so far (100-80): The Gutter Twins. I see them as kind of a darker, dirtier Dissociatives..the progressive rock tag has never been put onto them, but I feel they fall under the umbrella somewhat. But I can't claim to really care much for The Screaming Trees, altho I've never heard much Afghan Whigs..in recent weeks I've been a bit curious how similar the Gutter Twins work is to that stuff. Calexico's the only other band to place so far I know, but I never checked out their new record.