1137 replies to this topic

#161 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

And I completely forgot about that one. Good album, but it faded on me a bit.

#162 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:32 PM

“Let me start by saying that if this isn't the token SOMB metal album of the year then I'll be amazed.” - James D

#79.

Posted Image

Torche - Meanderthal

(822 Points, 17 Votes)

US Chart Position
: n/a

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Pitchfork Review: "The hard left turn-- and perhaps the breaking point with "true" metal dudes-- comes with "Across the Shields", a tune that could find a nice home on modern rock radio. Musically, the group finds a comfortable middle ground between their speed trials and more turgid pace, allowing Steve Brooks' militant holler-- usually more reminiscent of Helmet's Page Hamilton-- to take on a melodic bent that could bring to mind anyone from Dave Grohl to Jawbox's J. Robbins. There's even an honest-to-goodness hook: "I am your armor," Brooks sings as the guitars descend. The moment stands out due to producer (and Converge guitarist) Kurt Ballou; the crisp sheen he lends to Torche's sound makes everything stand out and shimmer.

Torche follow that breakthrough with a second half that contains a quick and clean 30-second instrumental ("Little Champion"), more catchy hit-and-run slabs ("Sundown", "Without a Sound"), and a thunderous one-two punch ("Amnesian", "Meanderthal") to finish an album that shows Torche spreading their wings and exploring new territory while still creating their heaviest music yet. It's a fitting send-off to an absolutely killer rock record-- one that's likely to appeal to listeners into any stripe of heavy music from the past 20 years." (8.2)

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Albums Lists: n/a

Ranked Highest By: Greg Kot (#2)

Also Ranked By: Fradom (#3), Pookie (#4)

Amazon Link

#163 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

“This is the level of passion that should be in all music. It's messy, loud, fast, and angry. And it makes me totally happy.” - scarymuppet

#78.

Posted Image

Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances

(833 Points, 11 Votes, Two #1 Votes)

US Chart Position

Pitchfork Review: "Of course, none of these highfalutin' shout-outs will grab your ear as powerfully as the demonic E Street Band arrangements, rife with constant builds and breakneck rhythms. Nearly every track here starts innocently, usually with a straightforward eighth-note strum or folksy melody unaware of the beating it's about to go through. Whereas a band like Arcade Fire likes to gradually crescendo to enhance the dramatic oomph, Titus can't enjoy that luxury-- not when Stickles is already screaming by the second lyric. Fortunately the band finds unconventional ways to heighten its music, like "Arms Against Atrophy", which waits three-quarters of its duration to unveil a killer, song-altering guitar riff, or the outro on "Upon Viewing Brughel's 'Landscape with the Fall of Icarus'", when the band corrals a maelstrom of stop-start solos into a steady, almost rockabilly groove.

Three-minute war cry "Titus Andronicus" best encapsulates Airing's pathos, and serves as a fitting primer for an otherwise hefty and (initially) inscrutable album. Bemoaning the creativity-crushing effects of his environs ("I'll write my masterpiece some other day"), Stickles imagines a conformist nightmare of no sex, no booze, and no cigarettes, blurting "fuck everything, fuck me" in between two verses just for effect. As Airing's most memorable moment, the song's taunting chorus maxim "Your life is over!" becomes to these guys what "In the name of love!" was for early U2. On a lyric sheet, Titus Andronicus may appear to espouse the sort of wrist-cutting histrionics emo's typically lambasted for, but the magic lies in the band's oddly enthusiastic grass roots delivery. They've studied their philosophy and found that life actually is pointless, so why not go down swinging? " (8.5)

Ranked Highest By: liquidheaven, without_opinion (#1)

Also Ranked By: scarymuppet (#4), 100% Vegetable Juice (#5)

Amazon Link

#164 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

Posted Image

Ranked Highest By: Greg Kot (#2)

]Greg Kot voted?!

For Torche?

:blink: :blink: :blink:
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#165 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

“This album basically jumps out of the speakers and slaps you in the face with how good it is.” - Johnny's Shack

#77.

Posted Image

Max Tundra - Parallex Error Beheads You

(849 Points, 18 Votes)

US Chart Position

Pitchfork Review: "Now, after six years spent programming on archaic Amiga music software, Max Tundra gives us the follow-up, Parallax Error Beheads You. At first listen, this set of pop songs may seem more cluttered and frantic than its predecessor; much like the string of remixes Jacobs has done in the meantime, the music here is peppier and more tightly wound, and more melodically serpentine than ever. Give it a few listens, though, and you begin to feel like someone is sneaking in while you sleep and removing twists and turns from the songs, or straightening out the rhythms.

The old line about literature is that a good book teaches you how to read it; in this case, a record might be teaching you how to listen to it. What starts out tricky and overwhelming quickly organizes itself in your head and becomes a joy to follow, to the point where you can delight in all the detail Jacobs packs in: The way he lets harmonies unravel and then step neatly back into focus, or how he executes chord changes by shifting the whole song down a few steps, like someone putting a thumb on a spinning record. What programmer spends six years on 10 songs without making sure every one of those details works?" (8.5)

Ranked Highest By: frankie say relax, Drinky(#2)

Amazon Link

#166 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

Really swell record.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#167 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:48 PM

good run so far today... need to listen to that Titus Andronicus record.

#168 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

“Doubt that Convivial being significantly more interesting than Paper Tigers is the sort of thing P4k is interested in at this point.” - Pavement Ist Rad

#76.

Posted Image

Luomo - Convival

(853 Points, 16 Votes)

US Chart Position

Pitchfork Review: "So it's with a sense of relief bordering on exhilaration that I come to the fourth Luomo album to discover a substantial rewiring of this particular aesthetic. While retaining the voluptuous shimmer characteristic of all Ripatti's work as Luomo, this album distances itself from the stutters and glitches he previously used to imply conflict and self-contradiction (puncturing house's habitual self-assurance). Instead, Convivial parades an immaculately structured, insectile busyness: clean and clearly etched, each sound placed with infinite care and burnished to a hyperreal sheen. If Vocalcity was murky and enveloping and The Present Lover gaseous and giddy, then Convivial is more like the rush of pure oxygen, offering a sound that is so sharp and so vivid it sears as much as it energizes.

It's also Ripatti's most unabashed foray into "pop" territory. Where previously the producer mostly oscillated between simple refrains and rigorously fractured vocal cut-ups (occasionally leaving his anonymous divas to wander in a confusing hall of mirrors), Convivial ushers in an array of guest vocalists whose contributions resemble (to a greater or lesser extent) "proper songs," filled with the coherent emotional arcs of complete verses and choruses. " (8.5)

Ranked Highest By: James Iha (#3)

Amazon Link

#169 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

Yet another really swell record.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#170 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, we're blowing our load early here. Top 20 is really gonna suck, huh?

#171 BGwaves

BGwaves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

usually does.

#172 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:55 PM

Wow, there really haven't been too many shitty records so far. Good placement for Convival. Addictive record.

#173 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

"my head wants to explode from the thought that kanye listens to okkervil river" - brobee

#75.

Posted Image

Okkervil River - The Stand Ins

(856 Points, 18 Votes)

US Chart Position
: #42

Pitchfork Review: "Sheff wants to look beyond common pop song notions to discover something truer and more essential, no matter how disillusioning it may be, which is the central, enthralling contradiction for Okkervil River: Even as they ruthlessly deconstruct pop music, they make great pop music. The darker Sheff gets, the more honest he sounds and the more absorbing the song. By that equation, the stand-out on The Stand Ins is "Pop Lie", an exquisitely bleak dismantling of singer-songwriter pretensions. The pop singer lies in his songs, "and you're lying when you sing along!" (Hey, Hold Steady...) It's not hard to imagine a venue full of excited fans singing along, although it's difficult to determine whether he would view their participation as a bitter irony or a sincerely funny cosmic joke. Or if he would just smile and enjoy the moment, knowing that any listener can take that pop lie and make it true." (8.0)

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Albums Lists: "Black Sheep Boy" (#15 of 2005), "The Stage Names" (#37 of 2007)

Ranked Highest By: liquidheaven (#3)

Also Ranked By: suckeredyou (#5)

Amazon Link

#174 BGwaves

BGwaves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

I screwed up this year, I should have put all my electronic records in the top ten and the rest of my picks at the bottom. I opted to do an actual list rather than put things high just for high placement on the eoy list. never again.

#175 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

I screwed up this year, I should have put all my electronic records in the top ten and the rest of my picks at the bottom. I opted to do an actual list rather than put things high just for high placement on the eoy list. never again.

that's always a temptation. Then again, sometimes the two coincide without necessarily any effort put into it.

#176 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5909 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

Greg Kot voted?!

Whether Paul took it upon himself to tab Jim and Greg's lists or Greg sent a pm to Paul, I am impressed.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#177 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

“speaking of not talking about gender... i'll take the one on the right with the big cans, thanks.” - simakos

#74.

Posted Image

Vivian Girls - Vivian Girls

(862 Points, 15 Votes)

US Chart Position

Pitchfork Review: "The band's lyrics are just as purposefully passive. In his intro to Rhino's superlative box set, One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Group Sounds Lost and Found, critic Gene Sculatti locates the enduring popularity of 60s girl group music in its effect: "This music was, like a moving symphony or free-floating jazz jam, mainly about a feel, a sound. It had words, yes, but they were never intended to get in the way of the overall impact of the record." Punk credentials aside, Vivian Girls are clearly simpatico to that gentler era's agenda. According to the band, the album is somewhat conceptual, its 10 tracks evenly split between love and heartbreak. "No", an angry thrash-and-bash propelled by a single lyric (guess!) is easy to place. But the LP is rarely so transparent, and Vivian Girls mainly get their message across with a murky wall of noise. Try to pry the lyrics of cacophonous openers "All the Time" and “Such a Joke" from their shoegazery feedback, thudding bass, and tambourine rattle and you'll be missing the point." (8.5)

Ranked Highest By: Jim DeRogatis, Greg Kot (#3)

Also Ranked By: Slap Nutz, Plate (#5)

Amazon Link

#178 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

Greg Kot voted?!

Whether Paul took it upon himself to tab Jim and Greg's lists or Greg sent a pm to Paul, I am impressed.

They published properly formatted lists and I thought, "why not?"

#179 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5909 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

^That's cool, man. Simakos, classy as always.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#180 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

Bought that Vivian Girls LP yesterday. Really good record, wish I had checked it out sooner.