#21 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

Don't like embedded posts.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#22 Gbro

Gbro

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

Zshares on request I think, I don't want an inability to find a high bit rate version to make me put off doing this. The idea is I'll mostly be reviewing singles I hear anyway, not just ploughing through a list. Am open to suggestions on any aspect, if people wanted to do a guest week of ten from the month or something.

I will need help on R&B and stuff that eminates from the US. Probably good idea to keep embedded YouTubes down as well.

Will defintely do a top 15 chart each month though.

I really like the idea of a monthly chart.

#23 Midnite_Vulture

Midnite_Vulture

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1801 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

So should I not start up the quarterly thread?

MV's blog: http://h-b-e.blogspot.com

MV's other blog about every mixtape he's ever made: http://mixedreaction.blogspot.com

"Our clique is the world. The world is our clique"

#24 Bobzilla

Bobzilla

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1746 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

December 2008
Fields - 'Are You Ready Yet?'

Interesting to see this, as I have had this song on my computer since August, along with another "The Worst Love." "Are You Ready Yet" is okay. Pleasant. A bit ordinary. It lacks the sharpness of a "Song For the Fields" or "Chasing The Flames." I loved their first EP and album, saw them live in Chicago and NYC in a span of four days in May 2007, and still have high hopes for them. However, Fields seem to be caught between pleasing a record company and pleasing themselves. I talked to a couple of them at one of their shows, and they were anticipating a couple of American tours to follow that summer and fall, but to the best of my knowledge they never came back. Now I read that their Fall 2008 UK tour got yanked because the label wouldn't pay for support, and pushed their album to March. Maybe. I hope. I'm assuming this single went nowhere, in which case their album may get delayed again. Or they'll get dropped entirely.
Last
=====================================================================
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man

#25 Bobzilla

Bobzilla

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1746 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:32 PM

Rifles - 'Fall To Sorrow'
Disappointing follow-up to "The Great Escape," which I thought was a nice progression from the Jam-isms of the first album. The whoa-ho-ho-ho shouty bits grate from the get-go on this one, and it never really gets much better. Musically, it sounds like just about every other 20-something UK guitar band. I'd rather they ape All Mod Cons again. Rifles' new album got downloaded a few weeks ago, but I've been too busy with 2008 wrap-ups and Christmas acquisitions to give it a proper spin. They've shown some sharp writing though, so I'm definitely hopeful, even with this misstep.
Last
=====================================================================
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man

#26 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:16 AM

I think a list thread would still be useful, would allow me to see anything I'd missed and any chatter from that thread could stay in this series of 12.

What do you think?

#27 demoncleaner

demoncleaner

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:15 AM

Sugababes – ‘No Can Do’

Haven't heard this, it probably sucks.

But Mutya is on Celebrity Big Brother. WTF!

#28 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

December 2008
Fields - 'Are You Ready Yet?'

Interesting to see this, as I have had this song on my computer since August, along with another "The Worst Love." "Are You Ready Yet" is okay. Pleasant. A bit ordinary. It lacks the sharpness of a "Song For the Fields" or "Chasing The Flames." I loved their first EP and album, saw them live in Chicago and NYC in a span of four days in May 2007, and still have high hopes for them. However, Fields seem to be caught between pleasing a record company and pleasing themselves. I talked to a couple of them at one of their shows, and they were anticipating a couple of American tours to follow that summer and fall, but to the best of my knowledge they never came back. Now I read that their Fall 2008 UK tour got yanked because the label wouldn't pay for support, and pushed their album to March. Maybe. I hope. I'm assuming this single went nowhere, in which case their album may get delayed again. Or they'll get dropped entirely.

I really liked the EP, album was mad underrated but I could see the production putting some off slightly. I can't even find a YouTube for a video. I got the release information from NME but it seems like it hasn't shown up yet.

?//10

Rifles - 'Fall To Sorrow'
Disappointing follow-up to "The Great Escape," which I thought was a nice progression from the Jam-isms of the first album. The whoa-ho-ho-ho shouty bits grate from the get-go on this one, and it never really gets much better. Musically, it sounds like just about every other 20-something UK guitar band. I'd rather they ape All Mod Cons again. Rifles' new album got downloaded a few weeks ago, but I've been too busy with 2008 wrap-ups and Christmas acquisitions to give it a proper spin. They've shown some sharp writing though, so I'm definitely hopeful, even with this misstep.

The title track is probably my favourite thing on the album, quite a good 1-2 punch at the start. (whole thing is on YouTube if you can stand that). This is a bit too much like The Enemy for me, not the kind of sound you want to be mining.

6/10

#29 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

Iron & Wine - 'Flightless Bird, American Mouth' 6.5/10

Imagine anyone that would be interested in this heard it on The Shepard's Dog. Like it as the stark ending of the album. Doesn't sound so impressive stand-alone.

Kaiser Chiefs - 'Good Days Bad Days' 4.0/10

Better than the dreadful first single from this album. Not very good though. Back in 2004 the band where a breath of fresh air. This is a stale fart.

Portishead - 'Magic Doors' 7.5/10

Hard to pick singles from this stunning album but someone has to. It's as good a song as any on the album really. Emotionally undone, one of the live highlights when I saw them in April, the skronking wail of the sax and when that big doomy piano crashes back in. Thinking about it it, aside from the clunking cowbell it's probably the closest thing to the 90's spy theme vibe that they had going in the 90's on the album.

Razorlight - 'Hostage Of Love' 4.5/10

Stong.

No seriously he seems to think that a people calling him a fucking knob in the press when he acts like a fucking knob makes him some kind of martyr. Not the worst song by Razorlight ever but those lyrics are summink else.

Snow Patrol - 'Crack The Shutters' 3.0/10

"Hi We're Snow Patrol! We've cracked the States with that one song so we're going to have be dreary and shit if we want to continue being successful." Probably not good enough to be an outtake from X&Y Song is actually the same three seconds looped 100 times.

The Fratellis - 'A Heady Tale' 4.0/10

Have to remind myself to look for batches of three like this as I'm losing the will to live already. A Christmas single I thin, sounds like Chas and Dave doing a cover of "Sympathy For The Devil" mixed with a cover of The Zutons' "Valerie".

La Roux - 'Quicksand' 7.5/10

#5 on BBC's sound of '09. I do like this, it's like a slower, similarly dissipated MGMT track. A lot more sensual for being female and that little bit slower. Prince and The Human League would be very obvious comparisons to this synthpop duo so I will avoid making them.

Can be found via a blog post here

Dinosaur Pile-up - My Rock 'N' Roll 6.0/10

Rough scracthy indie-pop, not quite as brutal as some of the Soundgarden comparisions I've read but they have the quiet/loud thing and the cacophonous drums going. This desperately wants to be an anthem but doesn't have the pace needed, far too much a slacker placed effort. Worth keeping an eye on though.

Young Fathers - Straight Back On It 8.0/10

Possibly would have made my top 50 for 2008 if I didn't hold off due to the release date. Laziest comparison I can make is The Neptunes producing OutKast meets The Go! Team. Surely Glasgow's premier rap collective.

can be found via here

Rest of December later.

#30 demoncleaner

demoncleaner

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

Dinosaur Pile-up - My Rock 'N' Roll 6.0/10

This sounds like a (more shambolically produced) Stone Temple Pilots song circa Tiny Music.

But that's not a bad sound.

7/10

Other track on their myspace is all quirky new wave-ish, but not quite so fully formed.

http://www.myspace.com/dinosaurpileup

#31 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

The Brute Chorus - She Was Always Cool 7.5

A fan favourite, sure I've seen it a couple of times live. A little bit all over the places influences, the below blog does mention Archie Bronson Outfit as a reference point and I have to agree, reminds me of the shuffling nature of their single "Dart For My Sweetheart"

Can be found via here

The Hours - See The Light 7.5

Stupid Sienna Miller video to this but never mind; for what it's aiming for, it's a great song much better than the likes of Snow Patrol and Keane are coming out with now. Epic song.

Keane - ‘Perfect Symmetry’ 4.5

Keane call this their best ever song. Good for them

Noisettes – ‘Wild Young Hearts’ 8.5

got my hopes up on the first album on a couple of singles and the live reputation only to be disappointed but damn it if they haven't got me back in that zone again. Digging the shit out of the Motown vibe they have here and the crunchy guitars and hand claps are pretty much win. Hope this is a spring board for something bigger from them.

You'll have to make do with the YouTube for now.

Sugababes – ‘No Can Do’ 5.5

At least it's not as annoying as "Girls" was. Bit of a mess of a song, vocals don't go with music very well, think it's trying to be sassy like GA were on "Can't Speak French" but doesn't work

#32 Midnite_Vulture

Midnite_Vulture

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1801 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

I think a list thread would still be useful, would allow me to see anything I'd missed and any chatter from that thread could stay in this series of 12.

What do you think?

Yeah, I very much like the idea of still keeping a running list in one nice organized place, but I do like the idea of this thread too. Anything that will encourage discussion is good. Will start the new singles thread tonight.

MV's blog: http://h-b-e.blogspot.com

MV's other blog about every mixtape he's ever made: http://mixedreaction.blogspot.com

"Our clique is the world. The world is our clique"

#33 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

Forgot this one as I was convinced it wasn't coming out until January but actually came out in late November

im gay

Stricken City - Lost Art 9.0

Love this, impossible to review without mentioning the similarities in Rebekah Raa's voice with Bow Wow Wow's Annabella Lwin and especially with the tribal drums on it. Whispers C86 at you seductively and can't wait to hear more from them after how good the debut single was as well.

D/load via here

#34 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

More UK post-punk revival stuff is the last thing we need, but this song is fun. Should have come out six years ago.

Edit: Ugh, that Sugababes single is boring.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 demoncleaner

demoncleaner

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

It's distressing how bad Sugarbabes have become. Still have :wub: for Siobhan Donaghy though.

#36 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

More UK post-punk revival stuff is the last thing we need, but this song is fun. Should have come out six years ago.

Should have come out 23 years ago.

I predict big things for this band.

#37 farawaysoclose

farawaysoclose

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

Should have come out 23 years ago.

I predict big things for this band.

Yea, this band deserves much love. Check out the song "tak o tak" also.

#38 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

La Roux - 'Quicksand' 7.5/10

#5 on BBC's sound of '09. I do like this, it's like a slower, similarly dissipated MGMT track. A lot more sensual for being female and that little bit slower. Prince and The Human League would be very obvious comparisons to this synthpop duo so I will avoid making them.

Can be found via a blog post here

Have to reiterate how good this song is...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20699 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

I thought about an 8 but have a feeling that the who.l electronic indie pop may be frustrating by the end of the day.

#40 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

I thought about an 8 but have a feeling that the who.l electronic indie pop may be frustrating by the end of the day.

It's a bit samey like the Stricken City track is, but both are just plain good songs. Hope both bands' albums can avoid sounding too passe.
Posted Image
Posted Image