• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 maztrax

maztrax

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

Been a huge fan of Jellyfish ever since I heard "That is Why" back in 1990. It's a shame they only were together for about four years, 1990's Bellybutton and 1993's Spilt Milk are both masterpieces IMO.

Andy Sturmer and Roger Joseph Manning Jr. are both amazing talents. It's too bad that Sturmer has been more behind the scenes since the breakup of the band. I loved Manning's work in Imperial Drag. Let's also not forget Jason Falkner.

Any other fans of Jellyfish out there?

#2 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Life-changing band, for me. And I didn't hear them until 1999.

#3 Soundscape

Soundscape

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

yes..they're one of my favorites, for sure. More people need to know about them..just like Kevin Gilbert. I just found the fanclub boxed set (online)..although it's taking forever to finish grabbing it.

#4 maztrax

maztrax

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

yes..they're one of my favorites, for sure. More people need to know about them..just like Kevin Gilbert.

I just found the fanclub boxed set (online)..although it's taking forever to finish grabbing it.

tell me more about Kevin Gilbert, I've never heard of him

#5 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10081 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:33 AM

Forget Kevin Gilbert--it's Paul Gilbert you want to hear more of.

#6 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:52 AM

Obviously I'm another devotee.

#7 Complain

Complain

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3463 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

As expressed previously in the power pop threads, I'm a huge fan. Two of the guys on an old, old King's X board got me started. PH helped me keep up. Since then, I've tracked down boots, original singles, videos, and a Jellyfish concert shirt I can't even wear unless I lose 30 more pounds. Unbelievable band. Influenced more people and bands than anyone will ever realize.

All my life i wanted to be black.
Until i saw your picture, now i wanna be you.

http://www.myspace.com/hipbyproxy

#8 Patrick

Patrick

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

Saw them at the Metro on the Spilt Milk tour (as well as at an instore at Rose Records earlier that day). By far the best sounding concert I've ever heard. They seemed like great guys as well. There's a great live video from German TV on the Bellybuton tour where they did a great version of "Go Your Own Way". At the Metro show i was at they did an awesome version of the Move's "I Can Hear the Grass Grow."

#9 maztrax

maztrax

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Saw them at the Metro on the Spilt Milk tour (as well as at an instore at Rose Records earlier that day). By far the best sounding concert I've ever heard. They seemed like great guys as well. There's a great live video from German TV on the Bellybuton tour where they did a great version of "Go Your Own Way". At the Metro show i was at they did an awesome version of the Move's "I Can Hear the Grass Grow."

Man, I wish I had seen them back in the day.

#10 Soundscape

Soundscape

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

yes..they're one of my favorites, for sure. More people need to know about them..just like Kevin Gilbert.

I just found the fanclub boxed set (online)..although it's taking forever to finish grabbing it.

tell me more about Kevin Gilbert, I've never heard of him

http://soundopinions...showtopic=14198

Brilliant singer/songwriter/lyricist multi-instrumentalist and producer. "Toy Matinee" if you dig Jellyfish, is a good place to start. "Thud" and "The Shaming of the True" are also both gems, but both different from Toy Matinee, or Giraffe one of his other bands.

His life's path was quite similar to Jeff Buckley if you may know. Musical prodigy, the industry never caught on to him. And he died when he was 29.

#11 Alpaca

Alpaca

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

Life-changing band, for me. And I didn't hear them until 1999.

'98 for me. Wonderful band. More and more appearing on YouTube all the time, somehow (and thankfully).

#12 held

held

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3549 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

Man, I wish I had seen them back in the day.

I did. They were the opener for somebody else with bellybutton at metro. I forget who it was though.
Solid band. the wings & cheap trick covers were spot on.
There is nothing more depressing than trying to appear happy when you are not."
- Nick Cave

#13 LobsterMobster

LobsterMobster

Neophyte

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

Great effin' band. First became interested in them when Bellybutton was out and I saw the videos, but I initially put off getting the album. Then I was working in a record store when Spilt Milk came out - the manager played it in the store and I loved it from the very start. That album is in my all-time top five. I love everything about it, but most mostly it's THE SOUND of it - warm, rich, detailed, dynamic.. not to mention the awesome harmonies. Just recently found the box set stuff online and I'm still digesting it. Was lucky enough to catch them on the Spilt Milk tour in Ft. Lauderdale. Really good show. Vocals were GREAT live. Still have 2 purple Jellyfish t-shirts that I can't part with, even though I rarely wear them. Question: did Andy Sturmer really play the drums on Spilt Milk? Because the drumming on the album is very tight, but on the live stuff I've heard he's all over the place.

#14 Patrick

Patrick

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

Great effin' band.

First became interested in them when Bellybutton was out and I saw the videos, but I initially put off getting the album. Then I was working in a record store when Spilt Milk came out - the manager played it in the store and I loved it from the very start. That album is in my all-time top five. I love everything about it, but most mostly it's THE SOUND of it - warm, rich, detailed, dynamic.. not to mention the awesome harmonies.

Just recently found the box set stuff online and I'm still digesting it.

Was lucky enough to catch them on the Spilt Milk tour in Ft. Lauderdale. Really good show. Vocals were GREAT live. Still have 2 purple Jellyfish t-shirts that I can't part with, even though I rarely wear them.

Question: did Andy Sturmer really play the drums on Spilt Milk? Because the drumming on the album is very tight, but on the live stuff I've heard he's all over the place.

Singing and playing the stand up kit live may have played a part in being all over the place. I have no clue, but i doubt he used the stand up kit on record.