468 replies to this topic

#21 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

I'm a little too excited for this poll. My focus has definitely been on the movie side more this past year than the music side.

Keep the trivia. Keep the pace slow. As many blurbs as possible (volunteering myself fyi).

Early eligibility questions, I kind of assume these are all 2009: Revolutionary Road, Defiance, Che, Waltz with Bashir.

Adding to the already lengthy you-must-see-this list: Happy-Go-Lucky, Shotgun Stories, The Visitor.

Myself, eagerly awaiting Vicky Christina, W., Pineapple, and The Wackness from netflix. Greatly regret that there won't be dvd releases in time for Synecdoche, Wendy&Lucy, Milk, and a bunch of those other smaller/foreign films like Ballast and A Christmas Tale.

One thing that feels somewhat different this year: There seems to be a lot more consensus. Even though each film has its detractors there are still a few films this year that it seems almost everybody gets behind. I think we're going to see a huge separation between the top 4-5 and the rest of the pack.

Revolutionary Road is eligible...I have to look into the others. Anyone? None of the other 3 were released in Chicago in 2008 so I'd say they are not eligible.
If you have Comcast HD, A Christmas Tale is playing On Demand. Great film student type movie- lots of layers to disect.
Might I influence you not to waste your time on The Wackness. It's worth a future cable viewing or DVD rental, but not worth cramming for this list.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#22 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1547 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Early eligibility questions, I kind of assume these are all 2009: Revolutionary Road, Defiance, Che, Waltz with Bashir.

I kind of feel like the first three should all be 2008 films. Whereas the latter is more of a 2009.

I have no reasoning, other than that they all had limited 2008 releases, and I'd hate for this poll to start looking like it was behind the times by having stuff on our list that's already been up for (Or denied) Oscar Nominations. The SOMB List should never look more out of touch than the Academy.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#23 Ogawa

Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Rather good film.

Man, I'm gonna have to see this again on my good tv...first time was on computer and it seemed really no better than Elephant- compelling, sure, but far from #1 worthy.

I saw it in theaters and was less-than-impressed, despite really liking both Elephant and Last Days and absolutely loving Gerry. Its photography is gorgeous, but Van Sant seems less secure with the overall style here than with the previous three pictures and a lot of the dialogue seems awkward and forced, like the worst bits from Elephant. Perhaps I need to see it again.
Few beings have ever been so impregnated, pierced to the core, by the conviction of the absolute futility of human aspiration. The universe is nothing but a furtive arrangement of elementary particles. A figure in transition toward chaos. That is what will finally prevail. The human race will disappear. Other races in turn will appear and disappear. And human actions are as free and as stripped of meaning as the unfettered movements of the elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, sentiments? Pure ĎVictorian fictions.í All that exists is egotism. Cold, intact, and radiant.

Michel Houellebecq

#24 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

I kind of feel like the first three should all be 2008 films. Whereas the latter is more of a 2009.

I have no reasoning, other than that they all had limited 2008 releases, and I'd hate for this poll to start looking like it was behind the times by having stuff on our list that's already been up for (Or denied) Oscar Nominations. The SOMB List should never look more out of touch than the Academy.

Agree...kind of...as far as setting a rule, first and foremost should be considering whether SOMBIES have a reasonable chance of seeing it before the deadline.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#25 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6367 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:49 PM

I disagree on The Wackness. Definitely in my top 10. The best place to look for eligibility is filmjerk.com and boxofficemojo.com. dig through the archives, you can find real release info. Revolutionary Road: Opening Week Release Pattern: Opens at the Arclight Cinemas in Hollywood and in additional locations in major markets on December 26 3 Screens January 2 38 Screens January 9 135 Screens. Seems like 2008 to me. Defiance: Opening Week Release Pattern: Los Angeles and New York City on December 31 2 Screens January 9 2 Screens January 16 1,789 That December 31st irks me, but at least it's on a huge amount of screens now. Che I don't believe they have been showing separately yet, I believe these numbers are only for the roadshow version. December 12 - January 9 2 Screens January 9 5 Screens January 16 25 Screens Important to note that while the other two films leaked online very early, and Che Part 1 also leaked online, Part 2 is still only available on these 25 screens. Waltz With Bashir Opening Week Release Pattern: Opens at Laemmle's Town Center 5 in Encino CA, Laemmle's Playhouse 7 in Pasadena and Laemmle's Royal Theatre in West Los Angeles on December 25 December 25 5 screens Jan 2 5 screens Jan 9 8 Screens Jan 16 9 Screens Jan 23 9 Screens While the first three have been online for a month already, Waltz just finally leaked online 3 days ago (for information on when things leak, check vcdquality.com)

#26 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

Rather good film.

Man, I'm gonna have to see this again on my good tv...first time was on computer and it seemed really no better than Elephant- compelling, sure, but far from #1 worthy.

I liked PP a lot more than Elephant. The mystery of what exactly went down was more intriguing to me. The reveals were slower and quieter- half told, half remembered. The way the film felt and moved sweep me away. To be lost in a film totally and completely.

Interesting list, Damo. Good to see Rachel so high- top ten for me...also Happy-Go-Lucky. So many on there I still need to see- Synechdoche, The Wrestler, Encounters, Doubt, Milk, Let the Right One In, JCVD....starting to highly doubt I'll see them all, but looks like it will be a fine consensus list after all, even if the front end is weaker than last year.

Rachel is up there for the incredible script as much as the acting. Both terrific, of course. In the set up and interpretation by the actors.

I fully admit Milk is mostly an emotional pick. Though the acting ranged from good (Franco) to very good (Penn). Liked it an awful lot though.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#27 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:11 AM

So I'm not allowed to vote for Waltz With Bashir this year like I wasn't 4 luni, 3 saptam‚ni si 2 zile last year and have to watch everyone forget about it in 12 months again. Kind of pointless.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#28 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

If you want to vote for Waltz, go ahead...like I said in the first post, I'm open to debate about this. (I'm certainly not married to certain hard and fast rules like some.) I wouldn't want the fact that you can't vote for one movie to cause you to view this thread as pointless. I think you'll find that you and maybe a few others will be the only ones to even see Waltz. If we were still doing the mid-year, then that's why we would limit this poll to films released in the US in 08. Yet, even without the mid-year correction this last year, I still think it makes more sense for 4 months to be eligible the following year. It will no doubt finish higher in this poll then it would have last year, though certainly films like this are going to always get screwed in this forum because we aren't film critics who get to see the majority of films released in a given year. It just so happens that I didn't think 4 months was as great as I thought it would be...it would be a shame if Waltz gets two or three votes and finishes, say 35th on our list...then a majority of us get the chance to see it later and love it but it's not eligible because Mitch saw it in England last year.
If it makes any difference in how you view this, I'll be sure to update the first thread in this post reminding people of what films just missed the deadline last year and are eligible, such as 4 months. Anyone that can think of others, help me out. I'm sure there were some docs and foreign films.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#29 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6367 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Is it really that crazy to think that maybe....just maybe.... a lot of people still don't give a shit about 4 months, still haven't seen it, and if they did, they still don't want to vote for it very highly?

#30 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

1. Wall-E 10 2. In Bruges 9.5 3. The Dark Knight 9.0 4. Kung Fu Panda 8 That's probably going to be it for the year for me, sadly. Hit me for a blurb if you want.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#31 Asher Ford

Asher Ford

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

Can I vote for Waltz without seeing it? :P 4 Months is on Netflix Watch Instantly fyi, I still plan on watching it there before the deadline.

#32 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

If you want to vote for Waltz, go ahead...like I said in the first post, I'm open to debate about this. (I'm certainly not married to certain hard and fast rules like some.) I wouldn't want the fact that you can't vote for one movie to cause you to view this thread as pointless. I think you'll find that you and maybe a few others will be the only ones to even see Waltz. If we were still doing the mid-year, then that's why we would limit this poll to films released in the US in 08. Yet, even without the mid-year correction this last year, I still think it makes more sense for 4 months to be eligible the following year. It will no doubt finish higher in this poll then it would have last year, though certainly films like this are going to always get screwed in this forum because we aren't film critics who get to see the majority of films released in a given year. It just so happens that I didn't think 4 months was as great as I thought it would be...it would be a shame if Waltz gets two or three votes and finishes, say 35th on our list...then a majority of us get the chance to see it later and love it but it's not eligible because Mitch saw it in England last year.
If it makes any difference in how you view this, I'll be sure to update the first thread in this post reminding people of what films just missed the deadline last year and are eligible, such as 4 months. Anyone that can think of others, help me out. I'm sure there were some docs and foreign films.

I certainly didn't mean anyone to think the thread was pointless, I meant that last year we had the debate about 4 months and Iím wondering whether waiting until this year is actually going to make any difference to itís position to be honest. The year before we had this with Das Leben Der Anderen and we ended up including it in the mid years and it didnít do that well, last year we didnít have a mid-year countdown.

Iím not particularly bothered on eligibility, even whereís thereís a grey area Iím happy to go with whatever is called and vote (or not) accordingly. What I donít understand is how the vote should both be dependent on whether SOMBies could see the film. Thatís such an arbitrary term when we are discussing when a film was on in 2, 4, 25 or 1800 cinemas in the US and then when a DVD screener leaked. Aren't they are at odds with each other?

If itís to be US release only Iím fine with that, if itís (2008) on IMDB Iím fine with that but last year The Orphanage was limited release until Jan 11 in the US but it was #59. This Is England only got a limited US release in 2007, made #39. Because no questions of inclusion were raised on these, people voted for them anyway and they made it in. The first hadn't been released on DVD at the time of the poll and the second hadn't.

Speaking of Shane Meadows: Somerís Town this year, no US release and unlikely to be one so can I never vote for that? Or do I have to wait until it's on NetFlix?

The year in films is skewed away from Jan-Dec anyway due to limited releases in late December, more so if you don't live in a major US city, more so if you don't live in the US. Coupled with not having the time or means to watch newer DVD releases on an adequate screen, or go to the cinema that much at the moment (not that anyone should care about this, and quite rightly) people who aren't running the poll striking out films I've actually seen at the cinema in 2008 aren't making me that enthusiastic about voting until the mid-year.

#33 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

and I realise how it most sound coming from Mr That's Not A Single but in that respect, there were guidelines that are easy to work out. Now it's not just when limited becomes a wide release but I need to look up the number of screens a film was on in between those dates? Come the fuck on. Ordering the list should be the hard thing not working out whether I can vote for it. I'd prefer a hard and fast rule that doesn't need a discussion.

#34 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

1. Wall-E 10
2. In Bruges 9.5
3. The Dark Knight 9.0
4. Kung Fu Panda 8

That's probably going to be it for the year for me, sadly.

Hit me for a blurb if you want.

At least throw some love to Horton Hears a Who! It deserves a 7.5.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#35 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:28 AM

and I realise how it most sound coming from Mr That's Not A Single but in that respect, there were guidelines that are easy to work out. Now it's not just when limited becomes a wide release but I need to look up the number of screens a film was on in between those dates? Come the fuck on. Ordering the list should be the hard thing not working out whether I can vote for it.

I'd prefer a hard and fast rule that doesn't need a discussion.

Jesus, Mitch...you're making way too big a deal out of this. Where did I post that you have to look up the number of screens? It's always been, IMDB US release of 2008, but not festival only...that hard and fast enough for you? If we/I made a mistake on that in the past, then I'm sure you'll take the time to find it.
There's typically only a handful of films each year where it's debatable...if people want to vote for movies that were only released at festivals in the given year, than we can change the rule. What do SOMBIES think...case by case basis, or open to all films released in the year, regardless of whether it was only at an international festival, or one US festival?
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#36 RadioHitchcock

RadioHitchcock

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

and I realise how it most sound coming from Mr That's Not A Single but in that respect, there were guidelines that are easy to work out. Now it's not just when limited becomes a wide release but I need to look up the number of screens a film was on in between those dates? Come the fuck on. Ordering the list should be the hard thing not working out whether I can vote for it.

just create a list of your favorite films of what you consider 2008.
this should be your list, not some sombie catered/altered list.
Sorry, I was being pretentious. Please don't mess with my stars.

#37 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

Here, here.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#38 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:37 AM

US release 2008 what though? Limited 28th December is a no if there's a wide release in January what about if there was just a limited release in August and no plans to release widely?

#39 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Well yeah, that's what I want to do but every year I am asked to leave something out of my top five for next year and it dies like a fart in a gale.

#40 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

Well yeah, that's what I want to do but every year I am asked to leave something out of my top five for next year and it dies like a fart in a gale.

With a film like Waltz, as great as it might be, it's likely going to be silent and not deadly regardless of which year we include it, unfortunately. Like I said, open to changing the rule to include all films with any kind of 2008 release...this works, especially if there is a mid-year. Any objections to changing the rule, say I!
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!