468 replies to this topic

#41 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

We'll just wait until I finalise a list and I guess we can argue the toss again at the time.

Posted Image
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#42 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

US release 2008 what though? Limited 28th December is a no if there's a wide release in January what about if there was just a limited release in August and no plans to release widely?

In the past, we've always assumed that it's better to give those films a chance to come out on DVD.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#43 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

US release 2008 what though? Limited 28th December is a no if there's a wide release in January what about if there was just a limited release in August and no plans to release widely?

In the past, we've always assumed that it's better to give those films a chance to come out on DVD.

I don't want to go on about this (no really) but last year The Orphanage made the list without a wide US release and wasn't out on DVD until January 2008. Had it's eligibility been discussed last year, would it have been considered ineligible? Not that I'm bothered either way, just interested so I can plan what I do see in the next three weeks that means I don't have to annoy everyone like I'm sure I have done today already.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#44 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

Consensus polling is never perfect. Just make your own list. If it gets counted or not-- who gives a shit?
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#45 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

I don't want to go on about this (no really) but last year The Orphanage made the list without a wide US release and wasn't out on DVD until January 2008. Had it's eligibility been discussed last year, would it have been considered ineligible? Not that I'm bothered either way, just interested so I can plan what I do see in the next three weeks that means I don't have to annoy everyone like I'm sure I have done today already.

Pretty sure The Orphanage was released in Chicago, which means typically that it had been released in New York and LA in December, if not Novemeber...especially if the DVD release was January. That's a bad example. Wide release has never been the rule, rather if the film has been released in the major cities, including Chicago, since the majority of SOMBIES are from Chicago.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#46 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

Since I only see maybe 6 films a year at the theater I feel unqualified to vote in these. I see a good number of films but watch them on my home theater when they are released on DVD.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#47 RadioHitchcock

RadioHitchcock

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

Pretty sure The Orphanage was released in Chicago, which means typically that it had been released in New York and LA in December, if not Novemeber...especially if the DVD release was January. That's a bad example. Wide release has never been the rule, rather if the film has been released in the major cities, including Chicago, since the majority of SOMBIES are from Chicago.

yes, saw Orphanage in theatre in Chicago last year, so made my list.

if I can see Bashir before the deadline somehow, will also make my list (if it's as good as trailers make it out to be.)
Sorry, I was being pretentious. Please don't mess with my stars.

#48 RadioHitchcock

RadioHitchcock

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

Since I only see maybe 6 films a year at the theater I feel unqualified to vote in these. I see a good number of films but watch them on my home theater when they are released on DVD.

Why would DVD screening on home theatre disqualify a movie from making the list? Theatre popcorn?
Sorry, I was being pretentious. Please don't mess with my stars.

#49 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

It's always been the same rule. People just find new ways to whine about it every year.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#50 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

Why would DVD screening on home theatre disqualify a movie from making the list? Theatre popcorn?

Just that many of the contenders I'm sure would make my list for 2008 won't be released on DVD for some time. No excuses. You know I have no problem wasting my time on trivial matters.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#51 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

Your 6 beats my 4 (all at home). Just do it.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#52 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Just that many of the contenders I'm sure would make my list for 2008 won't be released on DVD for some time. No excuses. You know I have no problem wasting my time on trivial matters.

Do it Rob. Any list is good...just give point scores to the few films you list, but before you do it, rent Baghead and American Teen, both out on DVD....and When Did You Last See Your Father while you're at it.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#53 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

work-in-progress (still a few movies I need to see, still mulling things over) 1. Happy-Go-Lucky [dir. Mike Leigh] 2. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (4 luni, 3 săptămāni şi 2 zile) [Cristian Mungiu] 3. Still Life (Sanxia Haoren) [Jia Zhang-ke] 4. The Flight of the Red Balloon (Le Voyage du ballon rouge) [Hou Hsiao-hsien] 5. Let The Right One In [Tomas Alfredson] 6. Paranoid Park [Gus Van Sant] 7. Wall•E [Andrew Stanton] 8. Wendy and Lucy [Kelly Reichardt] 9. Milk [Gus Van Sant] 10. Taxi to the Dark Side [Alex Gibney] (this should be eligible - didn't go beyond the film fest circuit in the U.S. until Jan. 2008) 11. The Dark Knight [Christopher Nolan] 12. Ballast [Lance Hammer] 13. Pour Your Body Out (7354 Cubic Meters) [Pipilotti Rist] (my "third-party candidate" vote)

#54 Bhickman

Bhickman

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

I've got a lot to catch up on. Downloaded Changeling, The Visitor, Wendy & Lucy and more...
Rock & Roll Ghost Message Board

"No one on the corner has swagga like us"

#55 Bhickman

Bhickman

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

with an international message board, why should the movie have opened in Chicago to be eligible to be voted for? Just run the caveat that, if you haven't seen it because it didn't open in your area in that year, that you can vote for it next year?

#56 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

I will be voting for Waltz. I'm confident of this, though I have yet to, you know, see it.

I would like to blurb also. I always volunteer for SOMB best of lists and have never been given the chance. Wah wah wah.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#57 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

I swear Taxi To The Darkside came out like 3 years ago. I remember seeing it 2007. WTF?
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#58 Waterloo

Waterloo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

I haven't seen too many new films this year, but these are really good to great. 1. Hunger (dir. Steve McQueen) - 10.0 2. El Cant dels ocells (Birdsong) (dir. Albert Serra) - 9.5 3. Asbe du-pa (A Two-legged Horse) (dir. Samira Makhmalbaf) - 9.0 4. Of Time and the City (dir. Terence Davies) - 9.0 5. The Wrestler (dir. Darren Aronofsky) - 8.5 6. Chris & Don. A Love Story. (dir. Tina Mascara and Guido Santi) - 8.5 7. Le Voyage du ballon rouge (The Flight of the Red Balloon) (dir. Hou Hsiao-hsien) - 7.5

#59 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

I swear Taxi To The Darkside came out like 3 years ago. I remember seeing it 2007. WTF?

damo's right:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0854678/

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#60 Bhickman

Bhickman

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

NOT FINAL 01. The Dark Knight 02. Revolutionary Road 03. The Wrestler 04. Wall - E I have to admit to not remembering much of anything else - but like I said, I got a slew of films I'm going to be watching here soon.