• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 toe

toe

Neophyte

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

I was kind of surprised to hear Greg imply that these two songs sounded the same and Satriani might have a case for plagiarism. I dug around a little and there are so many instances of this melody dating back decades. Check it out:
http://theopenend.co...cending-melody/
I don't think Satriani or anyone else could claim ownership of something so basic.

#2 Richaod

Richaod

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

I can understand why any artist would feel offended about a situation like this... but it seems to me that to Satriani, it's about the emotional connection with his song, and the fact that Coldplay have made millions off something that sounds similar. But the simple answer is: yes, they're similar, but no, it's deeply unlikely that it's anything but a coincidence. And besides, there are only 12 musical notes anyway - as your link says, repetition of melodies is pretty common.

Posted Image

#3 toe

toe

Neophyte

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:33 AM

I can understand why any artist would feel offended about a situation like this... but it seems to me that to Satriani, it's about the emotional connection with his song, and the fact that Coldplay have made millions off something that sounds similar.

Yep, might be a little jealousy that his guitar...no matter how screaming...will never have the reach of a Chris Martin.

#4 lieasleep

lieasleep

Neophyte

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

I can understand why any artist would feel offended about a situation like this... but it seems to me that to Satriani, it's about the emotional connection with his song, and the fact that Coldplay have made millions off something that sounds similar.

But the simple answer is: yes, they're similar, but no, it's deeply unlikely that it's anything but a coincidence. And besides, there are only 12 musical notes anyway - as your link says, repetition of melodies is pretty common.

yes repeittion of melodies is common, BUT the chords are the same, the tempo is the same and the phrasing of the lyrics is the same phrasing as satriani's solo. all of this = same friggin song!

search youtube and you will find all of the proof that you need.

even if it is a coincidence (extremely unlikely), coldplay is making millions on a song that has already been written and satriani deserves some kickbacks or at least a little credit. In my mind, what MIGHT have happened that would at least give Chris Martin (twat) some retribution would be that he heard the song and unconsciously wrote the same song. That seems possible but it being a coincidence? no way.

#5 Binko

Binko

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2271 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

But the simple answer is: yes, they're similar, but no, it's deeply unlikely that it's anything but a coincidence. And besides, there are only 12 musical notes anyway - as your link says, repetition of melodies is pretty common.

yes repeittion of melodies is common, BUT the chords are the same, the tempo is the same and the phrasing of the lyrics is the same phrasing as satriani's solo. all of this = same friggin song!

even if it is a coincidence (extremely unlikely), coldplay is making millions on a song that has already been written and satriani deserves some kickbacks or at least a little credit. In my mind, what MIGHT have happened that would at least give Chris Martin (twat) some retribution would be that he heard the song and unconsciously wrote the same song. That seems possible but it being a coincidence? no way.

I disagree. Coincidence is absolutely possible, if not likely. I've seen it happen enough (either with me or friends, fragments of songs they've or I've come up with have appeared years later on pop songs), that it's a perfectly plausible explanation. I'm sure plenty of musicians here could share similar experiences.

#6 lieasleep

lieasleep

Neophyte

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:00 AM

yes. coincidence is possible but! certain cases are MORE than coincidence and the phenomena that i was referring to is called Cryptomnesia.

cryptomnesia Link woo!: http://www.cracked.c...e_17103_p2.html

I disagree. Coincidence is absolutely possible, if not likely. I've seen it happen enough (either with me or friends, fragments of songs they've or I've come up with have appeared years later on pop songs), that it's a perfectly plausible explanation. I'm sure plenty of musicians here could share similar experiences.