742 replies to this topic

#501 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5826 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

Couldn't give less of a fuck about Converge but true or not I don't know how useful it is to tell a 19 year old that old people shouldn't listen to aggressive music.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#502 Friend Catcher

Friend Catcher

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

Truly aggressive music doesn't market itself as such.

#503 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

I've been listening to Hawkwind and African psych all day so I'm not always hung up on the idea of 'songs,' but this is just shriek-y, silly adolescent HARDCXRE written and performed by adults *does a nonchalant twirl kick in tight jeans*

that's what i hear too, immaturity... Fucked Up doesn't sound immature to me.

re: tunes and songs... call me a flake, but i hear "songs" in everything if it's good. you can hear songs in the squeak of all the sneakers at a basketball game, or hear "a song" in a busy high volume restaurant's kitchen, etc. songs/tunes to me are just sounds that i want to hear again.

#504 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

Couldn't give less of a fuck about Converge but true or not I don't know how useful it is to tell a 19 year old that old people shouldn't listen to aggressive music.

there is a time and place for ANY kind of music. let me repeat that... there is a time and place for ANY kind of music, i just don't find myself in many places too many times recently where i need to hear hardcore/metal/whatever.

also, in order for music to be aggressive or visceral doesn't mean it has to be loud, involve screaming or be fast. that's the easy way to do it.

#505 Heretix

Heretix

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

I've been listening to Hawkwind and African psych all day so I'm not always hung up on the idea of 'songs,' but this is just shriek-y, silly adolescent HARDCXRE written and performed by adults *does a nonchalant twirl kick in tight jeans*

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Wow, there's some really eye-opening posts happening lately. Dude, Hawkwind? You're soooo edgy.

Just because something expresses a primal emotion doesn't make it immature; and just because you can't seem to get anything out of a given genre, or band, or song, aside from that one primal emotion is entirely your own fault -- I think it says something more about your maturity than anything else.

And Simakos, Fucked Up, more "mature" than Converge? Nothing says coolheaded, thoughtful maturity like calling your band FUCKED UP. And just because their music is a bit slower has nothing to do with their maturity level -- I would put a band like Converge far above Fucked Up; Converge's music is difficult, complex, and uncompromising. It requires discipline to play that shit. You can't just attack a guitar and scream randomly and expect to end up sounding like Converge, no matter how much you may or may not believe that is how Converge records their music. There is nothing "easy" about the way Converge, uh, incorporates aggression into their music.

I wanted to stay out of this argument but this is getting too good.

#506 Friend Catcher

Friend Catcher

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

You're soooo edgy.

That isn't what I was getting at. The 'yeah, well you people who don't like this all listen to Vampire Weekend' line gets old.

I think the closest anybody has ever come to straddling the line between aggro and idiocy was these guys:
Posted Image

#507 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

YOU KNOW I AM NOT THE TYPE TO SAY IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME.

You don't say this about all music, no. The notion that "fast" and "aggressive" are inherently sophomoric characteristics for music to take on suggests that you are writing off grindcore as a worthless genre with little to offer the listener, which is wrong. There are plenty of unremarkable "fast aggressive" bands and then there's, say, Pig Destroyer, who are elevated to a certain status in the metal community for a damn good reason.

I NEVER SAID THIS. I ONLY SAID THAT EVENTUALLY YOU IWLL GROW OUT OF FAST AGGRESSIVE MUSIC. AT LEAST I HOPE SO...

You sound like Montana here.

AGAIN ASSUMING TO KNOW WHAT I LIKE... IT'S FUNNY, YEAH I HAVE BEEN ON A POP/ROCK KICK THE LAST FEW YEARS SINCE I HAVE BEEN BOARDING HERE, BUT BEFORE THAT IT WAS ALL MATHROCK AND INSTRUMENTAL STUFF, JAZZ, DRUM AND BASS, ETC.

Just calling 'em as I see 'em. I don't "know what you like," you just tend to lean more towards the latest Blitzen Trapper than the latest Boris or Harvey Milk, even if you enjoy the music of the latter two to some degree. Just an observation.

ALSO, IN ORDER FOR THERE TO BE "A TUNE" IN A SONG DOESN'T MEAN IT HAS TO BE SING-SONGY LIKE A PAUL MCCARTNEY SONG. THERE ARE TUNES IN ANYTHING THAT IS GOOD WHETHER IT'S THELONIOUS MONK, CORROSION OF CONFROMITY, OR ED RUSH. TUNES ARE THE PARTS THAT STICK WITH YOU, THAT MAKE YOU RECOGNIZE/REMEMBER CERTAIN PARTS OF MUSICAL PIECES. I DON'T HEAR ANY TUNES IN CONVERGE, THAT'S ALL. IT'S NOT AN INSULT, IT'S JUST NOT MY THING THESE DAYS.

If "tunes" are things that stick with me, then Converge is full of "tunes," as plenty of intelligent music listeners on this board will attest to.

THEY SOUND NOTHING LIKE THESE BANDS. AND FOR YOU TO ASSUME I AM COMPARING THEM TO RIDE THE LIGHTNING IS KIND OF LAUGHABLE.

If you can't hear a connection between "Here Come The Rome Plows" and most of No Heroes, than I don't know what you're listening for or how you're listening to that music. Maybe it's just something you've never thought about before? If I were to draw back a line of influence from "Trophy Scars" to any previously created rock music, it would have something to do with '90s noise-rock, Dischord Records, maybe even the Jesus Lizard and things like that. They don't sound like generic "metal" to me because they are informed by non-metal influences encompassing a wider spectrum of heavy rock.

MAN YOU OSUND LIKE A 19 YEAR OLD RIGHT HERE, SORRY TO SAY. DON'T BE OFFENDED. I WISH I WAS 19 AGAIN.

I was just telling the truth. There was a time when I didn't really pay attention to metal or noise or electronica. There was also a point when I realized that every hyped to death Wolf Parade/Frightened Rabbit/Grizzly Bear/insert random animal band here album wasn't doing anything for me and sounded fucking awful and wasn't what I wanted from music. Converge used to sound like "music I respected, but that I could never honestly call my favorite" or something like that. It's stayed with me over the years and my enjoyment of it has only increased, which is more than I can say for a lot of music I was listening to in 2004, some of which has more obvious "tunes," I guess. Doesn't make it inherently better.

I LOVE THE FACT THAT JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING GETS EXPOSURE AND IS ENJOYED BY A LOT OF PEOPLE, YOU WRITE IT OFF AS "BORING" AND NON-ECLECTIC...

No, it's because I actually think that a lot of the music enjoyed by a lot of people is boring and predictable. Fleet Foxes, for instance. There are over 100 2008 albums that I'd rather listen to again than their album. It's not because of hype, it's because it's exactly the type of music that would undeservedly earn such hype. And listening to music like that is not a rewarding experience for me, nor does it become more rewarding over time.

THIS IS A PHENOMENON AS OLD AS PUNK AND METAL ITSELF. THAT IS WHY IT NEVER DIES.

It's correct, though. Why should the best metal albums of the year be written off in favor of praising what are supposedly the best Americana informed jangly indie rock albums of the year? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me and I consider it an injustice.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#508 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Burzum, Eskimo Kisses, and even Through Silver

Thanks. ;)

And Heretix has hit the nail on the head. Simakos doesn't like Converge for whatever reason (before tonight, had heard very little and based his opinion on minimal experience). He grabbed desperately for justification. Rather than admit 'didn't give it time to grow on me', 'it's too intense', etc, he's gone for reasoning that makes him feel better about himself.

It's immature. I've grown out of it.

My comparison with Fucked Up wasn't about how similar the music is. Rather, it was about attitudes people have to the music, the name, the concept. Simakos is a growed-up adult who listens to all kinds of music (rock AND roll), we get it. But outside his world of inoffensive, warmed over punk rock, there are people sneering at how immature his tastes are. Personally, I grew out of the idea of 'growing out of music' a long time ago. It's been great.

i find it scary if anybody listens to only one type of music... not just heavy stuff. most of the time if people only like one type or sound in their music it can reveal a lot about their character. it reveals a stunted world-view, no matter what type of music we are talking about.

Again I wonder what this is in response to. Who here is listening to one type of music?

To clarify matters: I'm not feeling particularly insulted. I just get mildly annoyed when people use blatantly lazy criticism. The obvious trolls I have on Ignore, so when someone whose posts I can read makes lazy statements I get girded into response.

In conclusion, though. Jane Doe is clearly one of the most fantastic albums in any genre this decade. Yes, it is very hard going at times. The best things don't always come easily.

Posted Image

#509 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Fucked Up utilizes conventional vocal hooks such as the one in "Black Albino Bones" and also conventional 4/4 punk rock rhythms and conventional guitar melodies in major keys. If my roommate listened to it (he's the last person I would want to jump in on this conversation, btw, my god), he would dismiss it as moronic fist-pumping bullshit because he prefers, uh, Dream Theater. To which I say, "Who fucking cares?" That doesn't mean that the particular combination of ideas in their music isn't ridiculously intriguing and some of the most exciting explorations of the hard rock form today. All I'm saying is that they're just as easy to dismiss as Converge. As Heretix said, there's nothing more "mature" (seriously?) about FU. They're loud and heavy and the singer doesn't SING, wow, they're actually probably equally terrible, now that I think about it.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

#510 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

To the teenagers on the forum reading this thread: Your music taste is fluid right now. Most of what your are listening to at this moment you will not be listening to when you are 25 or 30 unless you vote Republican and attend nu-country concerts. Also, it's worth mentioning this kind of obsessive desire to hunt down obscure albums with one or two good songs and rate them as "the greatest thing ever". An obscure album is not better than a non-obscure album by default. It just means you found something that had a few nice songs on it. The record stil needs to compete song for song with more well known albums. Also, it does not matter when you were born. A great record is a great record. When someone posts a list and says, "this is all new albums guys because I'm young", they deserve to have rotten fruit thrown at their heads. Anyone of any age can find older albums and explore them at places such as libraries, music stores and even iTunes. Understand that truly great albums survive generations, and always will. Old artists don't sell out stadiums because "boomers can spend". Old artists sell out stadiums because they busted their ass and made great records. That's why Jay Reatard plays dumps like the Pitchfork Festival, and the Rolling Stones sold out stadiums at age 60. In time you will ultimately understand all of this, and come to a level of peace and understanding with the truly great albums.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#511 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

I was wondering what your take on all this was, thanks.
Posted Image

#512 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

he would dismiss it as moronic fist-pumping bullshit because he prefers, uh, Dream Theater.

He's screwed. Dream Theater is to music as the guy who never figured out how to properly fuck- just hammering away like a big puppy.
- The Felice Brothers

#513 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

oh, i think i get it now. Paves (and maybe more of you guys) never listened to aggressive music when you were younger. those genres are perfect when you are like 15 or 16 and confused by everything. i guess coming to it later on is a different experience. who the hell knows.

i don't know. i am tired of talking/arguing about this. i'm gonna go put on some Mountains and float.

Posted Image

#514 Friend Catcher

Friend Catcher

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

If my brief time on this board has taught me anything it's that metal fans are the most defensive little babies on earth.

#515 Heretix

Heretix

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

oh, i think i get it now. Paves (and maybe more of you guys) never listened to aggressive music when you were younger. those genres are perfect when you are like 15 or 16 and confused by everything.

Posted Image

I've been listening to "aggressive music" since I was like 11. My tastes have certainly changed, thankfully, but I haven't lost a penchant for 'aggressiveness' or anger and I don't think I ever will. I don't listen to metal exclusively (obviously), and I'm just as happy to throw on a Morrissey or Ryan Adams record as a Converge or Mayhem record or something. The 15 year old me would probably not have the same capacity to appreciate something like Converge that I have now. I hope that by the time I'm 30 or whatever my tastes will have broadened even more. Maturity should be about opening your mind, and being receptive, not narrowing your outlook and sticking to things that you know, things that "safe" and familiar.

And for the record I don't listen to this music BECAUSE it is angry. I do not really connect with the angry aspect of it, though I respect people that do. When I'm angry or upset about something the last thing I want to do is listen to music. As much as music is a comforting and calming aspect of my life, I would never want to associate it with overly negative emotions or situations. I don't listen to Converge when I feel like smashing all my shit and going on a killing rampage. When I listen to Converge, maybe it's because I want to be challenged; maybe it's because I want to hear something exciting, visceral, and powerful; or maybe it's just because I want to fucking hear some Converge and it has nothing to do with my age, or anyone's preconceived notions about age vs. aggressiveness, or the amount of melody that may or may not be there.

Also, Mountains? Where are the tunes man?

#516 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

oh, i think i get it now. Paves (and maybe more of you guys) never listened to aggressive music when you were younger. those genres are perfect when you are like 15 or 16 and confused by everything. i guess coming to it later on is a different experience. who the hell knows.

Again, you're making silly assumptions.

Posted Image

#517 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

I'm not a big fan of "harsh" music, but it has it's place. What is it's place? It's the place where people go who can't write good songs and who lack talent of any kind. Everyone needs a place. It's perfect. Those who have something to offer the world musically, and who can evolve past banging on trash cans lathered in Garage Band reverb move on.
- The Felice Brothers

#518 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

And Heretix has hit the nail on the head. Simakos doesn't like Converge for whatever reason (before tonight, had heard very little and based his opinion on minimal experience). He grabbed desperately for justification. Rather than admit 'didn't give it time to grow on me', 'it's too intense', etc, he's gone for reasoning that makes him feel better about himself.

again, SO MANY assumptionsbeing made today... you think i never downloaded and listened to Jane Doe after seeing all of you guys always freaking out about it in the Now Playing thread? like i said, you all are my conduit to stuff i normally wouldn't come across. that's why the Now Playing thread is so great. it's like a musical version of Twitter.

i am listening again right now actually i still don't like this at all.

#519 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

okay, Monty is here and somehow trying to jump on my "side" of things. that's my cue... see you guys later.

#520 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

okay, Monty is here and somehow trying to jump on my "side" of things. that's my cue... see you guys later.

If I tried to jump on your side I'd need a head lamp and some rope.
- The Felice Brothers