Really digging the Dirty Mind love...

#642 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5892 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:42 AM

Probably would've made my list if I hadn't discovered it like last week. Great record.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#643 Tongue-Tied

Tongue-Tied

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

This is an old list I made for Atease last year. It's already aged quite a bit...but I got lazy and didn't get time to make it current. However, that doesn't mean I don't love a single album on this list. I had wrote comments for most of these last year...but honestly most are quite horrible. I may add some comments in for the heck of it.

100. Queens of The Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
99. Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To The Children
98. Can - Tago Mago
97. Minutemen - Double Nickels on The Dime
96. Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
95. Primus - The Brown Album
94. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
93. The Beatles - The White Album
92. Soundgarden - Superunknown
91. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Posted Image

90. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
89. Kanye West - College Dropout
88. Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On
87. King Crimson - Red
86. Burial - Untrue
85. At The Drive-In - Relationship In Command
84. Mastodon - Remission
83. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
82. Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
81. Daft Punk - Alive 2007

Posted Image

80. Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
79. Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose
78. Led Zeppelin - I
77. Wu-Tang Clan - Forever
76. Raekwon The Chef - Only Built For Cuban Linx
75. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
74. Battles - Mirrored
73. Nick Drake - Pink Moon
72. NIN - The Downward Spiral
71. Sigur Ros - ()

Posted Image

70. Sigur Ros - Takk
69. The Beatles - Abbey Road
Half of my floor during my first year of college smoked pot and we had 2 dealers living on our floor for the first semester, it was a grand ol time. Now my roommate smoked every once in a while, but not nearly as much as me, but he didn’t mind it, so it was cool. Here’s his problem. His loves billboard country music. He would always play it. One day, me and my roommate decided to smoke up together. I thought “hey! This is a great chance to diversify his music states, he has to like the beatles!” So I threw on Abbey Road…on his high-end Bosse sound system that he brought up and we blared that shit. My roommate was fucking baked and I was pretty high as well. We were just sitting in our chairs listening to the music and doing nothing else. “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” is bliss anyways but when one is high this song gets ridiculous towards the end, to the point where you don’t think you could ever get bored of that riff and then BAM. CUT OFF. Silence. Enter the acoustic charm of “Here Comes The Sun”. It brought me and my roommate by complete surprise. I hadn’t listened to the album enough to recognize the beauty of the transition and it hit both of us at the exact same time. We looked over at each other in complete awe and my roommate decided that we needed to hear that transition again. I’ve never seen someone that excited by music in my life. He said to me that he has never heard of music that flowed like that. Haha, then we got to the medley. Needless to say, I come back into my dorm room the next night to find him high as fuck again showing another mate on the floor what I showed him the previous night. The beauty of this album.

68. Meat Puppets - Up In The Sun
67. MF Doom - Special Herbs Vol. 5-6
66. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
65. My Morning Jacket - Okonokos
64. Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
63. Rage Against The Machine - Live at The Grand Olympic
62. Justice - +
61. Benighted - Identisick

Posted Image

60. Of Montreal - Satanic Panic In The Attic
59. Tool - Lateralus
58. Madvillian - Madvilliany
Samples galore! Street Fighter 2 is up in this bitch. I have to say…a little ganga makes this album pure gold.

57. The Mars Volta - Amputechture
56. Opeth - Deliverance
55. A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
54. The Clash - London Calling
53. Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
52. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
51. Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Posted Image

50. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
49. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Opening bass on “excursions”…nuff said. Ohh yeah…”Back in the days when I was a teenager before I status and before I had a pager…you could find the abstract listening to hip-hop, my pop used to say it reminded him of be-bop, I said well daddy don’t you know that things go in cycles…”

48. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
47. Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full
46. The Beatles - Revolver
“I’m Only Sleeping” describes lyrically and musically the laziness/pot haziness of my first year at college. Overall, the album is jam packed with sure-hit singles. “For No One” is a perfect composition and Lennon’s lyrics are quite something else. Ohh yeah, I’m still trying to figure out how you can get cymbals to sound as good as they do on “Tomorrow Never Knows”.

45. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
44. Air -Premier Symptones
43. Radiohead - The Bends
42. Thom Yorke - The Eraser
41. King Crimson - In The Court of The Krimson King

Posted Image

40. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
39. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
38. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Attenas To Heaven
37. NIN - The Fragile
36. DJ Shadow - The Private Press
35. Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
34. Jeff Buckley - Grace
33. Arcade Fire - Funeral
32. Radiohead - Amnesiac
31. The National - Boxer

Posted Image

30. Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn
29. The Roots - Game Theory
28. Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
27. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
26. Big L - Lifestylez Of Da Poor and Dangerous
You can’t help but feel as if you just took out the entire rival gang with the gat in your arm’s reach, smacked some cuties, sparked up a blunt, and gave a big “fuck you” to the local mayor when you start this album. Big L is straight killing this shit and I can say that. “I got a crime record longer than Manute Bol”, “I smash mics like corn bread, you can’t kill me I was born dead”, “I beat chumps til they head splits, then break em like breadsticks, I sex chicks, I'll even fuck a dead bitch”. I mean the kid was fucking hard and real witty with his stuff. It’s a shame he died at such a young age. The production on the album is real cold and nasty as well, just check out the slow crushing bass to “Danger Zone” as Big L leaves nothing on the table with lines like…”Front and get scarred cause your rap style ain't even hard, I run with a thievin squad, and NONE OF US believe in God.” I could go on and on, there are so many quotables on this album. Big L puts on a clinic for life.

25. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
24. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
23. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
22. Opeth - Blackwater Park
21. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

Posted Image

20. Pixies - Surfer Rosa
19. Mastodon - Leviathan
18. Dream Theater - Train of Thought
17. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works ('85-'92)
16. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
15. Opeth- Still Life
14. Nas - Illmatic
13. Radiohead - Kid A
12. The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
11. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady

Posted Image

10. Can - Future Days
It took a few listens for me to finally “get” this album. This is the ultimate chill album. This is one of my favorite drum albums because of how well they fit and work to control the overall atmosphere of the piece. “Bel Air” is 20 minutes long….20 minutes of bliss. Spend at least one listen devoting yourself to listening to the drumming in the song. The patterns and rhythms sound like they would be played very loudly by a rock band (the fills especially) but the way they are delivered here, in their muted glory, it’s relaxing and always interesting. The layers of sounds all work very nicely here and you are sure to pick up on lots of interesting tidbits every time you listen to it. I love the fact that just when you think it’s all over…they come back again to wrap everything up in a nice warm package for you to drool all over. It’s one of those albums I could play on repeat for a very long time.

9. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Zappa was a crazy dude. Lived a very weird life and made a shit load of albums. I haven’t even touched the tip of the iceberg on his releases…but this one struck me as special right away. When I heard this album for the first time, I thought to myself “this sounds fresh”. The orchestrated mess is brilliant. Zappa plays the guitar with enticing care and rage. The violin solo on “The Gumbo Variations” has to be one of my favorites. Love every minute of it.

8. Tool - Aenima
The first album I ever liked. I remember never being able to tell someone what albums a band had, unless it was like ACDC’s Back in Black, but this was the one to break that spell. This was the album that made me realize that music can be used as a medium to express ideas about life and actually make use of lyrics. I have to admit that I played the drums and listening to Danny Carey play was like eating a favorite candy bar…priceless. Every actual song on here is spectacular, besides “Jimmy” which is good…but not great. So yeah, I have a great deal of nostalgia with this album but overall, the songwriting on the entire thing is superb. The way that “Pushit” hits it’s climax, for example, can never let me lay emotionless. “Eulogy” was always one of my favorite songs…”Come Down…Get off your fucking cross…we need the space…TO NAIL THE NEXT MARTYR!” Enter weird distorted guitar solo. “Third Eye” is my favorite Tool track and it clocks in at 13:47. This is Tool as their most progressive roots and I love it. I’m a big sucka for long progressive songs and Tool does this one to perfection. I love the energy that Maynard releases towards the end of the song when he screams “PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE!” All the drum patterns throughout are godly and even the guitar tone changes are excellent, keeping one off-centered and not knowing what they are going to hear next.

7. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
6. GZA - Liquid Swords
5. Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
4. Pixies - Doolittle
I remember holding off on looking into the Pixies because of their name, it didn’t intrigue me and I had a bunch of other music I needed to check out so I kept on delaying looking into them. I was a huge Radiohead fan (still am, but not as obsessive) and I heard that Radiohead loved the Pixies and said they were upset about having to play after them at a festival. I still didn’t look into them. Then, one day at school, this chick I knew had her iPod out and wanted me to listen to a song. I knew she had decent taste in music so I gave it a listen. She said we were going to listen to the Pixies – Monkey Gone To Heaven. I listened to it two times in a row and went home that day to download the album “Doolittle”. I had instantly fallen in love. Their sound was unique and it worked extremely well. I had a horrible job at K-Mart and I kept Doolittle in my car and listened to it on the way to work and on the way back from work. I even made secret breaks out to my car and snuck in a few listens of some songs. The album grew on me like mold on some old funky bread. Frank Black’s yelping, hooting, hollering, and emotional outbursts of energy were exactly what I wanted to hear from a frontman. His surrealistic imagery became interesting to me as well. I also fell in love with Kim Deal. Her bass lines were soo good filling the body of the pixies with fat. Yes…fat. Fat fucking bass lines. I love them all. This is my favorite album to play really fucking loud as I try my best Frank Black impression. Special stuff. Ohh yeah, “Gouge Away” is my favorite track. The drums sound so damn right and the explosion of the lead guitar makes me melt. It sounds angry, as if the Pixies are marching towards you about to dismember your entire body.

3. Radiohead -OK Computer
2. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Posted Image

1. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing....
My favorite album of all time. Josh Davis created what I believe to be the most accomplished piece of music ever. Digging up old samples from lost records and giving them new life and meaning. It takes quite the ear to be able to do that. But aside from Davis’s talent as a DJ…the overall piece WORKS and I’ll never be able to forget a single song from it. This is the one c.d. I can put on to make my day better and it will never let me down. Just feel the kick and snare on “Midnight In A Perfect World” and let the vocals take you to a better place. Listen to the desolate piano notes and the hope they give. I have never heard another album even come close to sounding like this one. All I want to do after listening to this one is roller-skate.
Posted Image

#644 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:03 AM

I wasn't going to do this, because I haven't really had the time to give it much thought. But what the hell. . . 1) Electric Wizard - Dopethrone 2) Metallica - Kill 'Em All 3) Metallica - . . .And Justice For All 4) Slayer - Reign in Blood 5) The Sword - Age of Winters 6) Black Sabbath - Master of Reality 7) AC/DC - Highway to Hell 8) AC/DC - Back in Black 9) Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots 10) The Sword- Gods of the Earth 11) Melvins- Houdini 12) Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss 13) Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 14) Metallica - Master of Puppets 15) Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes 16) Metallica - Ride the Lightning 17) Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind 18) Pentagram - Day of Reckoning 19) Celtic Frost - Monotheist 20) Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

#645 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:18 AM

This is an old list I made for Atease last year.

For anyone not in the know, Atease is the Radiohead fan forum, and it's heavily linked to SOMB (thus all the placings for their albums).
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#646 Efrim

Efrim

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3280 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:22 AM

Pretty slapped together, but whatever:

100. The Body, The Blood, The Machine – The Thermals
99. Daft Punk – Homework
98. Fountains of Wayne – Utopia Parkway
97. The Lemonheads – Come On Feel
96. Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (Melt)

95. Judas Priest – British Steel
94. Patti Smith – Easter
93. Emmylou Harris – Elite Hotel
92. Quasi – Featuring “Birds”
91. The Soviettes – LP III

90. Blondie – Parallel Lines
89. Kraftwerk – Autobahn
88. The Undertones – The Undertones
87. Neil Young – Dead Man OST
86. The Old 97's – Satellite Rides

85. Phillip Glass and John Cage – Glass Cage
84. The Descendents – Milo Goes to College
83. Randy Newman – Sail Away
82. Randy Newman – Good Old Boys
81. Mouse on Mars – Idiology

80.. Rolling Stones – Aftermath
79. The X-Ray Spex – Germ Free Adolescents
78. Metallica – Master of Puppets
77. Rhett Miller – The Instigator
76. Wu-Tang Clan – Enter the 36 Chambers

75. Jets to Brazil – Orange Rhyming Dictionary
74. The Cure – Three Imaginary Boys
73. Judas Priest – Hell Bent for Leather
72. Sonic Youth – Confusion is Sex
71. Old 97's – Too Far to Care

70. Bjork – Post
69. X - Los Angeles
68. Radiohead – Kid A
67. Air – Moon Safari
66. The Kinks – The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society

65. Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation
64. Black Sabbath – Paranoid
63. The Flying Burrito Brothers – The Gilded Palace of Sin
62. David Bowie – Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust...
61. Neil Young – After the Goldrush

60. Elvis Costello – Trust
59. Genesis – The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
58. PJ Harvey – Rid of Me
57. PJ Harvey – To Bring You My Love
56. Elliot Smith – XO

55. Simon and Garfunkel – The Graduate OST
54. Tortoise – Millions Now Living Will Never Die
53. Neil Young – Live Rust
52. King Crimson – Discipline
51. Big Black – Songs About Fucking

50. Brain Eno – Another Green World
49. The Ramones – End of the Century
48. Curtis Mayfield – Superfly
47. EVOL – Sonic Youth
46. The Old 97's – Wreak Your Life

45. Joni Mitchell – Hejira
44. Leftfield – Rhythm and Stealth
43. King Crimson – Larks Tongues in Aspic
42. The Mekons – Original Sin
41. Nine Inch Nails – And All That Could Have Been

40. Pavement – Slanted and Enchanted
39. Gza/Genius – Liquid Swords
38. Bikini Kill – Pussy Whipped
37. Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair
36. Elvis Costello – King of America

35. Genesis – Foxtrot
34. The Fairport Convention – Lief and Liege
33. Shellac – 1000 Hurts
32. Five Leaves Left – Nick Drake
31. Kylie Minogue – Fever

30. The Clash – London Calling
29. Stereolab – Emperor Tomato Ketchup
28. Miles Davis – Sketches of Spain
27. Velvet Underground – White Light/White Heat
26. Charles Mingus – Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

25. Sleater-Kinney – The Woods
24. PJ Harvey – BBC Sessions
23. The Velvet Underground – Loaded
22. New Order - Power, Corruption and Lies
21. Bjork – Homogenic

20. The Clash - The Clash (US)
19. The Replacements – Let it Be
18. Sonic Youth - Sister
17. Radiohead – OK Computer
16. Tori Amos – Boys for Pele

15. The Beatles – Revolver
14. The Beatles – Rubber Soul
13. Gang of Four – Entertainment!
12. Elvis Costello – Armed Forces
11. Talking Heads – Remain in Light

10. PJ Harvey – Dry
9. Bob Dylan – Highway 61 Revisited
8. David Bowie – Hunky Dory
7. Television – Marquee Moon
6. King Crimson – In The Court of the Crimson King

5. Belle and Sebastien – If You're Feeling Sinister
4. The Velvet Undergound – The Velvet Underground and Nico
3. Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out
2. Elvis Costello – This Years Model
1. Sleater-Kinney – The Hot Rock
Posted Image

#647 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:23 AM

This is an old list I made for Atease last year.

For anyone not in the know, Atease is the Radiohead fan forum, and it's heavily linked to SOMB (thus all the placings for their albums).

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

#648 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:26 AM

how anybody past the age of 19 might enjoy Converge is beyond me... it's really good hardcore/metal/crossover/whatever and i respect it, but i find it funny that any adult could listen to this stuff on a regular basis.

I'm amazed that someone of your taste says that. You bang on about pop-punk/grr-punk all the time.

Converge is like what you listen to, just less MOR.

If you don't actually like energetic music, then that's fine. But that 'I find it funny' condescension is just sad.

i know what you're saying... but the "grr-punk" (i like that by the way) that i like is always super melodic and could probably be played on an acoustic if need be. i just don't hear any tunes in Converge. i just hear machismo, really good riffs, and horrible singing.

i didn't mean to be insulting... i just find it odd when old dudes listen exclusively to metal/hardcore/noise/mathrock stuff.

you guys turn me on to all kinds of heavy shit that i would normally never come across. i just think Converge is funny and really dated sounding.

re: why I like Converge: The balance between energy, intensity, tightness, and a compositional craft nearly unparalleled in the metal genre (or music in general.) Maybe it's hard for a person to hear the latter if "it all sounds the same!" but that's the exact criticism a lot of people have of jazz, electronica, hip hop, any and all types of punk rock... they are writing off entire genres using criteria that is irrelevant to that music.

Funny thing is that I was never sure what I thought of You Fail Me when it first came out. It was intriguing, but for years it just blurred together. Now I listen to it a couple times every week. Might even make my 100 if I made it today. The energy and aggression never let up, but it still manages to be incredibly dynamic. Just because "a lot of the songs have 'metal' screaming and are really fast" doesn't mean they're the same.

I don't listen to Pavement nearly as much as I did five years ago. Hardly at all, really, although I still like them. Over the years I've been led to believe that guitar-based pop/rock music isn't all there is. Believe it or not, a piece of music doesn't have to have intelligible lyrics or a sing-songy melody to hold my interest. It can be repetitious, as well!

I wouldn't classify your tastes as "pedestrian," I just think that criticizing any music for being something that it is not aiming to be is a bit silly. The metal that Converge plays is not the same metal explored by '80s Metallica. They are reconfiguring certain elements of the music and playing up others. They are merging elements of grindcore with elements of post-hardcore acts such as Drive Like Jehu, Fugazi, Antioch Arrow, Unwound, etc. I don't just hear a bunch of indistinguishable abrasive bullshit when I listen to the music. Things that might seem like "just part of the noise" the first couple times have ended up standing out to me as distinguishing components of their songs, of which they've never written the same two twice, AMAZINGLY.

Eh. Doesn't have to be your bag, I guess. Also doesn't mean that you're not... uh... "missing" something. Also doesn't mean that you'll ever find that something and like the music. Speaking as someone who has managed to do just that over the years, though, it is entirely possible, I'm sorry to say.

I find it odd when people can listen to mellow music and not aggro music. Life itself is a dynamic experience and, unless you're on some Jack Johnson trip, there is always relevance in shouty, aggressive music.

i find it scary if anybody listens to only one type of music... not just heavy stuff. most of the time if people only like one type or sound in their music it can reveal a lot about their character. it reveals a stunted world-view, no matter what type of music we are talking about.

Very few people here do this. Especially the Converge fans. Burzum, Eskimo Kisses, and even Through Silver have some of the most eclectic tastes on the board. They just don't like every boring indie rock album that is safe enough to garner a Stereogum write-up. Not that I'm reducing your tastes to something as dumbed down as that (they're not), but there's this notion in the world of modern music criticism/canonization that abrasive music cannot be as "interesting" or "engaging" as more outwardly poppy sounds or reflect qualities such as ambition and sonic/compositional excellence. Which is absolute bullshit.

You do grow out of aggressive music. You may have nostalgia for it, but you won't be listening to it very often. Of course, this is a general statement and there are a few exceptions to the rule.

I'm late to the argument so I'll just add that it's not as if any of us choose the music we like--the music chooses us. Whatever types we like, it's because it sounds & feels good, no? The rest sounds bad and boring. I hope to god people here don't pass their music collection & listening habits through some intellectual filter. Also, if we're supposed to outgrow aggressive music, I really do hope I die before I get old.

#649 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

be aggressive
be be aggressive
b... e...
a... g... g...
r... e... s... s...
i... v... e...
be aggressive
be be aggressive!

Posted Image

#650 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:47 AM

You're not making a list, are you.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#651 pigfuck

pigfuck

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1853 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

be aggressive
be be aggressive
b... e...
a... g... g...
r... e... s... s...
i... v... e...
be aggressive
be be aggressive!

trolling of the lowest order. pretty fucking ashamed.
make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have an automobile race

#652 Pat Sansone

Pat Sansone

Neophyte

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:59 AM

he's too busy trying to figure out where cannibal corpse should place on his list

#653 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

be aggressive
be be aggressive
b... e...
a... g... g...
r... e... s... s...
i... v... e...
be aggressive
be be aggressive!

Posted Image

Chearleaders. Good times.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#654 pigfuck

pigfuck

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1853 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:10 AM

those girls are in high school. you're disgusting.
make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have an automobile race

#655 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:24 AM

You're not making a list, are you.

no, i have been too busy and i didn't want to half ass it... my number one would have been Manitoba - Up In Flames or Danzig s/t

be aggressive
be be aggressive
b... e...
a... g... g...
r... e... s... s...
i... v... e...
be aggressive
be be aggressive!

trolling of the lowest order. pretty fucking ashamed.

oh man... c'mon. just trying to laugh at that nonsense...

#656 Soundscape

Soundscape

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

Tongue-Tied, Wow..excellent list! (and write-up)..a lot of stuff on yours came close to making mine..or bands did with different titles. Entroducing is an album I've listened to a few times and liked, and always meant to pickup, but can never find the Deluxe Edition used @ Cheapo. The day I do, I may start to really get into it and DJ Shadow's other work perhaps.

#657 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:43 AM

01) Arvo Pδrt - De Profundis
02) Arthur Russell - World Of Echo
03) Terry Riley – A Rainbow in Curved Air
04) Herbie Hancock – Sextant
05) Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
06) Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
07) John Cale – Vintage Violence
08) Orbital - Snivilisation
09) Weezer - Pinkerton
10) Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)

11) Boards of Canada – Geogaddi
12) Boredoms - Super Ae
13) New Order - Technique
14) 808 State - Newbuild
15) Ricardo Villalobos - Alcachofa
16) The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
17) Manuel Gφttsching - E2–E4
18) Super Furry Animals - Mwng
19) Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
20) Boris - Amplifier Worship

I’m about a third of the way through a stupidly long-winded album rating endeavor so this selection was made under “spaceship leaves in 10 minutes, grab your favourite 20 records” constraints. Picking one album for some of these artists was like shooting babies.

Ill try and make up for my tardiness by “pulling a Vurt” sometime over the next year. I’m going to print off this entire thread at work tomorrow so that I can read it on the train on Thursday. No offence to Paul, because I really appreciate the effort he puts in, but some of the individual lists in this thread mean much more to me than the final one will. You know who you are ;)
Posted Image

#658 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:48 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

x1000
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#659 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:11 AM

29. Blur – Leisure

Are you sure you didn't mean, you know, any other Blur album?

I find this choice to be pretty much the most mind-bogglingly left-field choice in this entire thread.
Posted Image

#660 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:22 AM

04) Herbie Hancock – Sextant
05) Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
09) Weezer - Pinkerton
10) Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
11) Boards of Canada – Geogaddi
12) Boredoms - Super Ae
13) New Order - Technique
14) 808 State - Newbuild
15) Ricardo Villalobos - Alcachofa
16) The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

Superjism. Everything on your list I don't have, I need to hear.