Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

Posted Image
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R41GLNCR

Rockin' that Shit is an amazingly transcendent, gorgeous pop song. the melody reminds me of the East Enders theme song ( LOL). song already gives me chills. i didn't listen to it as a single, even though i quoted Madrox as saying it was one of the best songs of 2009 on the SOMB i just knew it was going to be!

the album is cool just like the Jeezy album was in that it's all produced by Dream/Tricky for the similar sonics and has this love vs money theme throughout especially in the title tracks which are a sophisticated enough analysis of the two sides of a breakup.

favorite tracks are: Rockin' that Shit, Put it Down, Fancy, Right Side of My Brain, but really every song is 8.5/10 at least. a real triumph of an album. i'll be listening to this for weeks.

today i feel the same way. this is an amazing mainstream pop-R&B album and should have the same crossover appeal as Good Girl Gone Bad, except unlike that record, this has no duds. this has beautifully layered, dense synth compositions, harmonies and hooks. The-Dream is very much like R.Kelly in that he makes creating pitch perfect pop music sound effortless. but unlike Kells, who phones it in all too often and ends up with horribly uneven albums, The-Dream brings it on every track. he has the raw talent, along with producer and co-songwriter Tricky Steward, to pull hooks out of his ass all day, but still commit himself and meticulously fawn over each of these tracks. you'll definitely hear other albums this year on the same level as Love vs Hate, but you won't find one that's on a level above this.
^_^

#2 Friend Catcher

Friend Catcher

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

beautifully layered, dense synth compositions, harmonies and hooks

Rockin' that Shit

#3 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

An excellent point.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#4 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

he's right, and it is the best song on the album imo so i'll allow it!
^_^

#5 partlycloudy

partlycloudy

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

i won't find an album on a higher level than this? i take that as a personal challenge.

#6 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

if we take 'levels' to mean 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc. albums, this is in the 9's so there's no level above it, yes.
^_^

#7 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

was waiting for a higher quality rip and found one today. now i'm blazed as all hell and starting this for the first time. rockin' that shit is like my girls for black people.

#8 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:17 AM

Yeah, tight album. Can't tell if the Mariah Carey track is awful, or awesome. Probably a little bit of both. Right now the title track is my fave.
Posted Image

#9 Cinnamon P.

Cinnamon P.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3876 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

Haven't listened to this yet. Top 5 OTY. Animal Collective = 6. lol lol Vamos/JScjack. fags. Serio8usly though, D/Ling now. You can get so much pussy from having a leak of this guys. use it to your best advantage. When does this shit drop anyway? NP: Zomby - Where were you in 92'
Download this EP I made. The songs are pretty close to where they should be. I colaborated with Brian Wilson and Thom Yorke and then we all fucked in my basement apartment. Thom has a really big dick suprisingly, and Brian Wilson cried the whole time, yelling "These moans are not in perfect harmonic unison". Anyway, it sounds like what you would imagine something from that situation sounds like.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/j8689o

#10 stphone

stphone

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:33 AM

in stores on tuesday

Posted Image

#11 Liffey

Liffey

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:43 AM

Wow, this thing is excellent. Wasn't expecting Drake to be put to shame so soon.

#12 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

The 2-part title track is some high concept Pinball Wizard-type r&b shit. This disc is solid as hell, Mr. Yeah is my current jam. And wtf at the genre-bending 6+ min Fancy? This guys truly in a class of his own.
I don't even get your t-shirts pun.

#13 Eskimo kisses

Eskimo kisses

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:24 PM

Getting on this. Kind of shocked you know what the Eastenders theme tune sounds like, though. Also Chrono, check out that soca thread I posted, shit should be right up your alley.
Well cool on the web like Spiderman.

#14 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

Eastenders theme

my parents were big fans/huge fags for a time
^_^

#15 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

Pretty fuckin good. I love the synths on this. Everything I could want from something that would sound like this, pretty much.

#16 dvdv

dvdv

Neophyte

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:51 AM

Disclaimer: Dream and Tricky are pretty derivative (R Kelly + Timbaland + Prince) but are making some seriously fun music. His first album "Love/Hate" was one of my fav pop albums of the past few years. I think this new one is more consistent but the high points on his debut ("Fast Car", "She Needs My Love") are higher. This new one is just single after single though. It makes the album fly by but also makes it seem a little less than cohesive for some reason. In some ways, this is the album Timbaland should have made instead of dicking around with Chris Cornell.

#17 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

if this doesn't make my top ten, then 09 is going to be legendary. seriously, this album is easily up there with the best pop albums of this decade (paper trail, futuresex/lovesounds, good girl gone bad). love vs. money is better edited than most of those, clocking in at less than an hour, while being just as consistent or more than them. fantastic and totally unexpected. i liked love/hate, but that doesn't even hold a candle to this.

#18 Minutes Late

Minutes Late

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

Weird, I much prefer the last one, song wise. This sounds pretty much more of the same, but with less Doves Cry drums and more strip club shit. In other words, he's ripping off R. Kelly more than Prince now. And clearly one is a better choice.

#19 boobs

boobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkRhFh8pq0

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

lotta bad posts in this thread
The one who put the satin on your panties.

#20 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

R. Kelly is so much less frantic than this. an obvious inspiration ("we're doing it to Kellys 12 play"), but not even close to a rip. same with Prince. there's no sense that this is unoriginal, except in reference to his last album as this is really a continuation of that style, and as The-Dream said, "this is the first album on crack."
^_^