• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Umberto Eco The Dolphin

Umberto Eco The Dolphin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

I have tickets to the show on Friday (Toyota Park), but for sharts and giggles I just checked and a lot of up front tickets are newly available to anyone who might be interested. I couldn't find a worthy thread for this, but I wanted to share with my truncated SOMB homies.

Posted Image

#2 tweed

tweed

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

i'll be there.

if you had told me when i was growing up in Hickory Hills that Bob Dylan would be playing in Bridgeview, i would have never believed it.

Twilight Revival
Friday, March 13th - Thornwood Lounge (Wood Dale,IL)
Tuesday, April 21 - Abbey Pub (Chicago, IL)

Web Site I MySpace

#3 Bear Bryant

Bear Bryant

Neophyte

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I saw this show last Wednesday. Highly enjoyable. Don't know who your first act will be, but we had Richard Thompson and his electric tro. They were the highlight of the show for me, mainly because I've seen the other acts multiple times. Thompson's guitar work was jaw dropping. But.... He only got to play for 30 minutes.

Everyone else performed as expected. MMJ was really good as usual. Ditto Wilco, MMJ joined them for a killer Neil Young song ( I don't want to spoil your show with too much info).

Dylan was Dylan, some of the audience seemed bored, others angry, some loved it. He played mostly post 1997 material. The band is spot on and I was unaware that Charlie Zexton was back and Duke Robilard had left the band so quickly.

All around fun show. You fellas enjoy.

#4 Umberto Eco The Dolphin

Umberto Eco The Dolphin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

i'll be there.

if you had told me when i was growing up in Hickory Hills that Bob Dylan would be playing in Bridgeview, i would have never believed it.

Yeah. I went to Valpo, and Dylan played there. 1992? Anyway, that was pretty cool. Walked from my room a couple blocks and saw Dylan in a gym. Pretty cool.

Posted Image

#5 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5856 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

I saw this show last Wednesday. Highly enjoyable. Don't know who your first act will be, but we had Richard Thompson and his electric tro. They were the highlight of the show for me, mainly because I've seen the other acts multiple times. Thompson's guitar work was jaw dropping. But.... He only got to play for 30 minutes.

Those are the guys.

Last month we were debating at work whether Toyota Park was an actual place that existed.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#6 Fender

Fender

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Everyone else performed as expected. MMJ was really good as usual. Ditto Wilco, MMJ joined them for a killer Neil Young song ( I don't want to spoil your show with too much info).

Dylan was Dylan, some of the audience seemed bored, others angry, some loved it. He played mostly post 1997 material. The band is spot on and I was unaware that Charlie Zexton was back and Duke Robilard had left the band so quickly.

All around fun show. You fellas enjoy.

I've never seen Richard Thompson before, but would sure like too.

Recently I checked out some Dylan performances with Duke Robillard in the band -- I was impressed with his playing -- sorta reminded me of Jerry Garcia in some of his phrasing in the lead guitar work --- I remember him being in the credits for Time Out Of Mind -- and I was surprised by the quality of  Dylan's singing -- not as raspy as expected for an in concert performance --- Charlie Sexton is a fine player too though so I hope the next Dylan album comes out soon ---- maybe that album full of "religious songs" he said he had wanted to make when Tempest came out.

#7 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

How much would it cost to park in Toyota Park? Is it easy to get to from 294?

#8 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Never mind, they finally posted the cost. $20 to park in their lot. F-ing hell, that's still lower than city rates, but that's not saying much.

#9 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

Richard Thompson Trio was excellent. (The whole trio too - GREAT rhythm section.) Wish they played longer than 30 minutes.

MMJ was okay, but they were definitely better the last time I saw them around Z.

Wilco put on yet another GREAT show. I haven't been a fan of their recent albums, but conversely, I think their concerts have grown even better, go figure. Also, they played numbers with RT and MMJ, which Dylan should've done. "Sloth" with RT, who also did two other numbers with them:

Dylan wasn't so hot. I know his voice is shot and he doesn't nail all the words, but the band sounded tentative and the new arrangements didn't work for a lot of the material. A jaunty "Blind Willie McTell" felt pretty off the mark.

But the absolute worst thing about the show was the venue. Getting there was a pain enough - 2 fucking hours flat in Friday afternoon traffic, had they moved it to today or tomorrow it would've taken 45-minutes to an hour. (Took me 40 to get home.) But the crowd sucked. I had friends in the GA section who had a better time, so maybe it was different, but out on the floor it was the worst, like every type of fan I hate was there, multiplied a hundred fold. Drunk morons who were being loud asses without giving two shits about what was going on in front of them (or often BEHIND them, it's not like they were facing the stage the whole time). Within a 10 foot radius from my seat alone, two asshats pissed off security so much they almost got thrown out, and some stumbling drunk idiots who look liked high schoolers drinking beer for the first time tried to pick a fight with the middle-aged guys around me after they got yelled at for stumbling around like idiots. Fucking hated, I finally just bolted to a part of the floor near the GA barrier that was more or less vacated for some reason. Last time I'm going to a concert like this, especially that far from the city. Beautiful night, yes, PERFECT weather, and it had great sound, but the people just made it shitty, far shittier than any arena show I've been to with bad acoustics.

#10 Umberto Eco The Dolphin

Umberto Eco The Dolphin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Yes. Great show, terrible traffic, loud talking. Why go see bands if you're going to talk the whole time? That's why I wish Wilco was a little louder, so I didn't have to fight to listen over people trying to talk over the music. Anyway, I missed RT due to traffic, so I was very excited that he played with Wilco. MMJ was really good (first time). Lots of pot, big surprise, but do you have to turn and blow it right in my face? There's a direction called "up". Sound in the GA Pit where I was was better the closer I got to the middle and the stage, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise, but it got very muddy to the sides, soundwise. Third time for Wilco (Auditorium, Metro, this), third time for Dylan (Valpo, Rave-Milwaukee, this). RT I won't count, but I've seen him solo twice at COD. (Should I have put that in parentheses?). Perfect weather, indeed. Also, I'd hate to be there if there was a fire (no pun intended), because getting in and out is a pain. Walk up, go to the back, walk down, go to the front, and leaving in the reverse with minimal exit points. 

Posted Image

#11 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, what the hell's with the exit route? They had ground floor double doors around the place - maybe they didn't go to the outside? Regardless, it's pretty lame that you have to walk out of there like your climbing a Mayan temple. 

#12 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Took me 2 hours, too. Missed Richard Thompson. Had mediocre seats on side and couldn't really see much. Why was there no screen as has become typical at large outdoor and some indoor arena shows? Would have been nice. Bands were all good. Dylan's voice is quite an impediment to enjoying his band though. Seriously bad. Wilco was good, if occasionally slow. MMJ was loud and good. Wish I could have been able to see them all from my seat though.

Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#13 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Performance of "Sloth" sounds great. I see what you mean about the crowd though. About half of 'em look partially engaged...the rest, not at all. Philistines!

#14 kessler

kessler

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2044 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

I, too, was at this show and it sounds like my experience was significantly different from others who've shared here. Yes, traffic was awful - we actually hopped off of I-55, which was at a standstill, and took Archer down there. which probably saved us 10 mins. Got there at around 5:25 and cracked a Yuengling and at 5:30 precisely we heard Richard Thompson's band begin. Disappointed that we didn't get to see much of his set (we finished our beers and sandwiches and arrived in the pit as RT was finishing his last song). So it was nice that Thompson was invited out by Wilco to join on three songs - I thought the Fairport cover was pretty boring, but watching Thompson contribute to "Cali Stars" and dueling guitars between Thompson and Nels on "That's Not the Issue" was very cool. I normally blanch at the sight of Nels Cline, but I found myself mostly enjoying his playing during this set.

MMJ was clearly the best band on that stage, they're masterful in working the crowd. I've lost track of them lately, missing their last 2 albums, but the way they attacked "Circuital" was really fantastic. Also, Wilco has managed to focus on the few decent songs they've recorded in the last decade - I wish they'd nix "Art of Almost," which is really bad, but otherwise an enjoyable set. Dylan, as others have noted, was merely so-so, didn't sing much and it was almost impossible to discern any melody in his music .....

k

Oh, and I was really disappointed to see that posters had sold out so quickly - I was really hoping to have one commemorating my birthday. If anyone knows of any extras, I'd love to hear about it !

#15 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

I had the choice of going to this, or Guns N Roses tonight.

guess which I picked?

axel-rose-gordo.jpeg?resize=658%2C493

#16 Umberto Eco The Dolphin

Umberto Eco The Dolphin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

He looks like James Hetfield would look like these days if he was still a super alcoholic. I only ever saw GNR when they opened for Aerosmith on Permanent Vacation. So Appetite. It wasn't really my thing, back then. I like GNR fine these days, but I went from 100% Van Halen to Metallica, then all things inspired by Metallica's influences and cover songs. Then I liked the grunge era quite a bit because it wasn't the glam stuff they played on the radio. Then when rock and metal became a bit stale for me, I listened the crap out of the Waco Brothers from pretty early on which led me down an alt-country / country route. Perhaps I have strayed off topic, but suffice it to say I like a lot of different kinds of music. Rap and hippity hop (as the kids call it) is something I appreciate but have never been "wowed" by. Some of it is ok, though. EDM also eludes me to this point.

Posted Image

#17 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

You'd have to be close, but during Simple Twist of Fate, Dylan completely forgot the second line to the very last verse. He didn't even improvise new ones, the volume dropped out of his voice as he spit out gibberish, and Charlie Sexton definitely noticed because he looked up at him in complete shock. I busted out laughing, but I looked around and no one was even paying attention.

#18 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

had no idea he played simple twist of fate

Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#19 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

It was towards the end. I wish he played with Tweedy, James and Thompson - he more or less did that later on in the tour (though instead of playing with Thompson, he covered one of his songs, which was still a nice tribute).

I saw him in December, the last stop on that leg of the tour, and that was a much better show. Back in his old stomping grounds, with one more song than usual (came during the encore), and Mark Knopfler sitting in with the others on several numbers and playing great. Great setlist then too.