Photo

Who do u fx with more, The Smiths or Radiohead.

Best British Band Ever

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: The Smiths VS Radiohead. Song for Song, the better band?

The Smiths VS Radiohead

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2067 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

slowly but surely i am making it through the catalogue of the 2 bands which i see ultimate devotion from music fans.  Radiohead has clearly won the US market.  While here in England, The Smiths are the most loved indie band ever.

i think if the smiths lyrics were more optimistic, they could be the best band ever. musically they are fantastic, i like morriseys voice and melodies.  but when you really dig into the lyrics.  its depressing.  morrisey is like nas, a dude from a depressing environment who made depressing music. thats either good or bad, i mean you might want optimistic music to give you hope or u might prefer to wallow in misery and contentness can indeed be found in that. i would still prefer their music to radiohead.  the smiths have an astonishing number of great songs for such a short run.  they have at leat 25 great songs.  thats Beatles and Prince levels of excellence in a condensed period. i mean u guts kow more about them than me so no need to relat these songs.  but some i didnt hear till recently.

shoplifters of the world

the headmasters ritual

some girls are bigger than others

i mean, these are different from this charming man, how soon is now and there is a light whih is ther best known isht.  and they are great.  i live in manchester and dont recognise what they sing about.  i lived in nigeria when the smiths were popping and visited england for holidays now and again when we had extra money. i think i visted manchester in 1985. thats the part of the smiths i recognise. i was a youngin but what i remember that to me as well as the countrside is stereotypical england.

#2 PopTodd

PopTodd

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

Between the two, easily The Smiths.

But neither are the greatest band ever, IMO.

yes, i am in a band. i'll tell you about it sometime.

#3 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2067 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

But neither are the greatest band ever, IMO.

in england and pitchfork thats the debate.

#4 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

Morrissey is the epitome of the preening, self-absorbed Brit rocker imo. At least Yorke has the sense of humor to cover Rhinestone Cowboy in concert. Radiohead ftw.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#5 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

At Ease this is not.  The Smiths get my vote as I'm a fan of pop music.  

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5646 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

apparently I do not like pop music, as I do not like the Smiths. I prefer the folk music of Radiohead.

Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#7 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5825 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

lol

Not gonna pretend my Radiohead answer is much more than a "Yes, I grew up in the 90's mostly".

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#8 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:30 AM

has to be The Smiths I guess. the songs mean more to me. and they have one of those almost perfect discographies, whereas radiohead have some stuff I don't fuck with

#9 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8903 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

radiohead have some stuff I don't fuck with

like what

#10 Drinky

Drinky

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Radiohead. I was a teenager in the '90s.

I like The Smiths, but they've never been a favorite or meant that much to me.

I don't listen to either band much these days, anyway. I did revisit King of Limbs not long ago, and it was a little better than I remembered.

Edit: oh man, I didn't even see the sub-header at first. Null vote.

#11 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

like what

Like almost all of Pablo Honey. Like most of the tracks off the EPs and live stuff. Like a lot of Hail To The Thief.

#12 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Radiohead b sides from The Bends and OK Computer is some of their best work, if that's what you mean by "eps"

#13 Ned Braden

Ned Braden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1029 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

These are both bands I will stop listening to / giving a shit about for prolonged periods of time, but when their time comes back around they are all I want to listen to. Voted for the Smiths just cause I find myself going through more Smiths phases than Radiohead ones. I'm just choosing to ignore the sub-header.

ign-presents-the-history-of-ninja-gaiden

#14 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:03 AM

Was drinking single malt with a mate last night, and he threw on The Bends. Forgot how many great songs were on that, everything was a classic pretty much, not heard it for years.

#15 richard

richard

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

But neither are The Smiths are the greatest band ever, IMO.

Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man.

#16 Binko

Binko

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2271 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'm not sure why I like the Smiths so much, but I do, so I voted for them. I didn't even really discover them until relatively late, around 1993 towards the tail end of my senior year in high school when I first really started digging into "alternative" music. Wasn't until freshman year college or so that they started to take hold. But I can't get sick of them. The melodies are gorgeous, the lyrics are wonderfully ambiguous without being completely abstract, the rhythm section is tight. I know Marr gets the spotlight in the music, quite deservedly, but my ear gravitates to Rourke's basslines. He's one of my all-time favorite rock bassists. 

I enjoy Radiohead a lot, too, but I just don't connect with them as much, and I just love the poppiness of the Smiths records. Radiohead are by far the more "interesting" band musically, but I enjoy the Smiths more.

#17 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

I listen to The Smiths catalog once a year but listen to or think about Radiohead constantly.

Both bands are better than The Beatles and Burial.