Photo

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy VS Good Kid MAad City.. Rap Album fk it, Album of the last 5 years. who u got?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

these are the 2 universally hailed rap albums of the last 5 years, which is better.

MBDTF has 1 great song, Dark Fantasy and a bunch of strong songs.

Good Kid though has a couple of Masterpieces that get better and move you.

Art Of Peer Pressure

Bitch Dont Kill mY Vibe

Sing About ME

BackStreet Freestyle

Maad City

the nerve of sasha frere jones tryna hate on kendrick in his year end list.  Kendrick saving hip hop yall.

cant wait to see what kendrick has cooked up next.

#2 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Dark Twisted Fantasy has a lot more great songs, and is more ambitious stylistically, much the better album. 'Acid Rap' might have them both beaten, though.

#3 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6013 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Maad City is hugely overrated and not as good as the Schoolboy Q album released that same year. MBDTF is a masterpiece.

#4 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

^^^

This. I was baffled by the unprecedented acclaim for Maad City, definitely didn't live up to the obscene hype even though it was a really solid release. People sold the 'concept album' thing but on the actual record it isn't played up too much.

#5 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

maad city is certainly the best rap debut in ages, an album that i felt actually went far beyond its hype and kendrick's past music (overachieved), and was my #1 album of that year, and I think will probably not be his best album when things are said and done....

but...

MBDTF is probably the better record, still.  and that was only my #2 record of that year (despite it having probably having surplanted my #1 of that year now that time has passed).

both are great great albums.  acid rain is very good and has grown on me a lot but its still at least 3 leagues away from either of those records.

#6 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Dark Twisted Fantasy has a lot more great songs, and is more ambitious stylistically, much the better album. 'Acid Rap' might have them both beaten, though.

one great song,  Dark Fantasy. by great i mean indispensible.  i honestly dont fiend for the other tracks.  obviously they are really good. i wouldnt say they suck.  but there are a bunch of really good tracks that come out every year.  Dark Fantasy is the only one that transcended the very good and went on to great for me.  

art of peer pressure might be the best written song in rap history.  

#7 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

maad city is certainly the best rap debut in ages, an album that i felt actually went far beyond its hype and kendrick's past music (overachieved), and was my #1 album of that year, and I think will probably not be his best album when things are said and done....

but...

MBDTF is probably the better record, still.  and that was only my #2 record of that year (despite it having probably having surplanted my #1 of that year now that time has passed).

both are great great albums.  acid rain is very good and has grown on me a lot but its still at least 3 leagues away from either of those records.

you see for you to put MBDTF over Good KId, you cant respect the art of rapping.  i dont want to overplay that hand, plenty of technically great rappers make horrible music and plenty of technically non great rappers make great music, Biz Markie for example.  but Good Kid to me was the perfect combination.  it kinda exposes Kanye imho on a lyrical/vocal level.  obvioulsy thats not the only thing going on in a song but when its done right, it really transcends. i just dont think kanye has a great voice.  

#8 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

i hear this argument, and i'll concede that kendrick is pound for pound a better rapper than kanye.  that said, kanye pretty much solidified himself as my favorite MC ever with MBDTF (and i've been a fan of his since 2002 or so), and has moments of rapping his ass off on that thing.  i can definitely respect the art of rapping, i just think kanye brings so much more to the genre than pure mic skills.  same goes for kendrick for that matter, honestly. 

#9 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

one great song,  Dark Fantasy. by great i mean indispensible.  i honestly dont fiend for the other tracks.

Gorgeous

Monster

So Appalled

Runaway

Hell Of A Life

Blame Game

Lost In The World

Seven classic tracks, eight if you include the incredible Power remix. He also gets Nicki Minaj turning in the best verse of her career, Jay-Z spitting fire like it was 2001 again, about the greatest cast of artists ever assembled on a hip hop record from Bon Iver to Rihanna to RZA, great cameos from the likes of Raekwon, hard as fuck rap songs, emotional autotuned brilliant pop songs, multilayered production etc. Such a varied album, such a perfect album, one of those records where everything comes together in one place. Sonically it is way more complex than GKMC.

Maad City has 'Swimming Pools' and 'Art Of Peer Pressure' I would consider to be amazing tracks, the rest range from solid to strong. As a purist hip hop head maybe I would prefer GKMC - it is more traditional, just a load of cool chilled out beats and some awesome rapping over it. But Dark Twisted Fantasy transcends genres, it is a much more ambitious and important work.

Kanye is a great rapper too - for every simplistic ridiculous rap like 'Bound 2' or 'Runaway' there is a 'Gorgeous' where he just spits fire for three incredible verses. Kendrick is the better MC, but Talib Kweli is a immeasurably better technical rapper than Dr Dre but he never made an album as good as The Chronic.

#10 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

one great song,  Dark Fantasy. by great i mean indispensible.  i honestly dont fiend for the other tracks.

Gorgeous

Monster

So Appalled

Runaway

Hell Of A Life

Blame Game

Lost In The World

Seven classic tracks, eight if you include the incredible Power remix. He also gets Nicki Minaj turning in the best verse of her career, Jay-Z spitting fire like it was 2001 again, about the greatest cast of artists ever assembled on a hip hop record from Bon Iver to Rihanna to RZA, great cameos from the likes of Raekwon, hard as fuck rap songs, emotional autotuned brilliant pop songs, multilayered production etc. Such a varied album, such a perfect album, one of those records where everything comes together in one place. Sonically it is way more complex than GKMC.

Maad City has 'Swimming Pools' and 'Art Of Peer Pressure' I would consider to be amazing tracks, the rest range from solid to strong. As a purist hip hop head maybe I would prefer GKMC - it is more traditional, just a load of cool chilled out beats and some awesome rapping over it. But Dark Twisted Fantasy transcends genres, it is a much more ambitious and important work.

Kanye is a great rapper too - for every simplistic ridiculous rap like 'Bound 2' or 'Runaway' there is a 'Gorgeous' where he just spits fire for three incredible verses. Kendrick is the better MC, but Talib Kweli is a immeasurably better technical rapper than Dr Dre but he never made an album as good as The Chronic.

tell me u just aint waiting for raekwons verse when gorgeous come on though?? im left thinking wow what if rae had 3 verses on this isht.  all the songs u listed are really good.  i just dont feel compelled to listen to them.  kinda like how raging bull is a great film, but im not compelled to watch it .  swimmimg pools actually brings a tear to my eye.

#11 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

tell me u just aint waiting for raekwons verse when gorgeous come on though??

Nope, Kanye really holds his own on that one. Great lyrics and good delivery.

kinda like how raging bull is a great film, but im not compelled to watch it .

Agree with you there - Raging Bull is kind of boring. Interestingly I feel the same about GKMC as you do about MBDTF i.e. it's a very good album and you can't really fault it under all typical objective measurements. All the individual components are pure class, from the beats to the lyrics to the delivery - but I'm not compelled to listen to it ever.

#12 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

agree with waves 100% on the kanye vs. raekwon verse on gorgeous.  probably 'ye's best rapping ever, honestly.  though blame game is a close 2nd....

#13 monotony

monotony

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

kendrick's album quite easily for me. mbdtf did not have much staying power and is a bit of a slog to listen to now. i prefer CD / LR and considered yeezus a return to form.

#14 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

dat shit cray.

Although I will admit to liking Watch The Throne more than both, amongst general rap fans that album is considered to be an all time classic, even though it seems to fall under the radar on most critics/indie forums list. Seriously, the beats are just unbelievably good and just the best set of songs.

#15 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

dat shit cray.

Although I will admit to liking Watch The Throne more than both, amongst general rap fans that album is considered to be an all time classic, even though it seems to fall under the radar on most critics/indie forums list. Seriously, the beats are just unbelievably good and just the best set of songs.

which album WTT or MBDTF.  funny i was mixed on WTT initially. i always judge jay against his best work, Reasonable Doubt, most of Vol 1, 4 songs on Vol2, all of vol 3,  Dynasty, Guilty Until Proven Innocent fom the DYnasty album, BP1, half of BP2 and about 5 songs on The Black Album, and a bunch of tracks that didnt make albums like Jigga My Nigga etc, and his WTT rapping aint up to that level and Kanye was insufferable so its hard for me to really like WTT.  but i played it while at the gym the other day and it was better than i remembered.   still dont think its a great album  but the best songs definitely make you move and you enjoy them like Niggaz in Paris or Thats My Bitch.  i'd take those 2 songs over anything on MBDTF. 

#16 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

I was talking about WTT, wall to wall classic in my opinion.

Dark Twisted Fantasy didn't really garner much of a rep outside the critical community, most of my friends who loved The College Dropout through to the 808s singles had no awareness it was even out. No big single, no promotion campaign.