44 replies to this topic

#1 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

Thought we could do a rolling thread talking about albums of note from this year.  I mean, still start topics for the more talked about albums, but the also-rans or lesser-knowns can go in here.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#2 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:42 AM

I've listened to 2 2014 albums so far and they're of some interest.

Doug-Paisley-Cover-e1389896048573.jpg

Doug Paisley - Strong Feelings: I'm pretty in love with this album which I just spun, on a whim, because of the interesting album cover.  It's just this really lovely gentle old-timey country album.  Also, there's a sax on there.  I bet this will sound just incredible on hot summer nights, but for now it will have to do with cold winter evenings.

rave-tapes-cover-1389380780.jpg

Mogwai - Rave Tapes: This is pretty much Mogwai-by-numbers, but I'm okay with that.  'Remurdered' sounds pretty damn awesome, thus far.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

#3 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

I've found myself constantly coming back to the James Vincent McMorrow's "Post-Tropical" a lot lately.  I don't know if it is wholly original (still sounds a lot like Bon Iver, now with more James Blake added) but it is actually hitting the right places right now.

Posted Image

#4 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

I wax and wane on Against Me!, but I'm interested in picking up Transgender Dysphoria Blues, which was released this week.

#5 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8933 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Ghettoville is out in a few days.

Streaming on NPR: http://www.npr.org/2...ess-ghettoville

#6 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Last week brought two perfect albums for winter blues.  The New Medicants and The Autumn Defense.  Also digging the derivative sound of Drowners.  Doug Tuttle is some cool psych rock.  Roseanne Cash's new one is great.  And today we get new Marissa Adler.  Nice start to the year.  

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 robbie

robbie

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

Really enjoying the I Break Horses. The Beck is really nice but I find it slightly depressing. Also liking The Notwist, Cheatahs, Mode Modern, Marissa Nadler, Hospitality & Gem Club albums

#8 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

New Ceo album is really good, if you're into that whole bright, off the wall balaeric kind of vibe. Nice and concise, too, unlike Ghettoville which us a bit intimidating to get through.

#9 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

I'll say it.  This Beck album is fantastic - the first truly great album of '14.

Posted Image

#10 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

I haven't listened yet as figured it would be kind of boring. My entry point with Beck was 'Loser', so when the first album I picked up was Sea Change I was disappointed how lifeless and middle of the road it sounded. Is this any different?

#11 Papas Delicate Condition

Papas Delicate Condition

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

I haven't listened yet as figured it would be kind of boring. My entry point with Beck was 'Loser', so when the first album I picked up was Sea Change I was disappointed how lifeless and middle of the road it sounded. Is this any different?

It's practically the same album.

#12 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

This week I highly recommend Marissa Nadler. I also would suggest you stay away from Crosses (†††). A few good songs but mostly very boring.

#13 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

1061161.jpg

Dog Bite - Tranquilizers: I first became aware of this via a Pitchfork thrashing (3.2) but it's the keyboardist from Washed Out and very shoegaze/chillout-y.  The album is solid if unspectacular, but the last track 'Rest Assured' is a monster with big, space-y Tangerine Dream keyboards.  The rest is okay, the last song is essential 2014 listening.

EDIT: Sound Cloud of that last song I love so much.

https://soundcloud.c.../rest-assured-1

-WavesWithin

#14 Bobzilla

Bobzilla

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1745 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Angel Olsen's Burn Your Fire For No Witness is the best album of 2014 that I've heard so far.

It's only a four-song EP, but Speedy Ortiz's Real Hair is four really good songs.

Otherwise, I like Rosanne Cash, Warpaint, Drive-By Truckers, Marissa Nadler, and Beck. Broken Bells is growing on me. First listens to the new Fanfarlo, Neil Finn and Katy B albums were promising.

Last
=====================================================================
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man

#15 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

Gave that Angel Olsen record a spin today after the BNM and Bobzilla reccomending it. The Joni Mitchell comparisons are way off both sonically and lyrically, it is one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. Not even worth the hard drive space. Deleted it already.

Not been down with much new music this year other than Actress and Ceo. Thought the new Katy B was a big let down.

#16 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

BTW, quite possibly the best album I've heard all year is the original score to 'Her' by Arcade Fire and Owen Pallett that was actually never released, for some reason.  But you can scare up illegal copies online after it was briefly released as a legit stream.  I know what you're thinking: Caley and Arcade Fire?!  But, I think the fact that they're scoring a film, not singing, and not trying to sound like the Talking Heads makes it all worthwhile.  Just a staggeringly beautiful cinematic score for a staggeringly beautiful film.

-WavesWithin

#17 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Gave that Angel Olsen record a spin today after the BNM and Bobzilla reccomending it. The Joni Mitchell comparisons are way off both sonically and lyrically, it is one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. Not even worth the hard drive space. Deleted it already.

Not been down with much new music this year other than Actress and Ceo. Thought the new Katy B was a big let down.

I better check that Angel Olsen record out then. Sounds like it'd be my cup o' tea! Thanks for the info!

Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#18 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

New Perc LP is really great, for those of you who like proper old schol heavy ass techno songs.

#19 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

having a hard time getting into Marissa Nadler. Is it me, or does it drag? Not feeling it so far. Like Rosanne but still feel it's not as good as Black Cadillac or Interiors.

Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#20 PopTodd

PopTodd

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

This album from my friend Phil is pretty amazing.

Phil Ajjarapu - Sing Along Until you Feel Better

Produced by Ken Stringfellow of The Posies. A near-perfect slab of lightly psychedelic pop. Highly recommended for fans of Jellyfish, The Posies, Skylarking-era XTC, Big Star, etc.

And the backstory behind the album is equally amazing:

https://www.kickstar...g-my-solo-album

Seriously. Give this one a listen.

yes, i am in a band. i'll tell you about it sometime.