Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

and specifically this stereogum article:

http://www.stereogum...ead-songs/list/

i don't really agree with the list at all, but wouldn't call it bad. 

basically this is an excuse to have this discussion once again, which we've probably had on the SOMB 5+ times thus far.  what are people's thoughts on this band?

personally, i love em.  i rarely listen to em all that much these days, but would still rank them as a top 5 band of all time for me, somedays even as high as #2.  never saw them live or anything and only had a short infatuation with them in my younger days, but they never cease to be incredibly captivating to me.  with the possible exception of dylan, no one has ever interpreted the kaliediscopic spectrum of "American Music" as well as the Dead did, and for my money I don't think anyone ever will.  combine that encyclopedic knowledge of western musicology with a fiercely adventurous penchant for experimentation (much lost from ~76 on, I'd say) while at the same time being able to write truly great songs (which is what i think the stereogum article nails completely on the head despite my being able to switch in at least 15 other songs for 8 of their picks)....and you have an endlessly rewarding band.

also i'm in the middle of a dead binge for the first time in a while and am just loving it and needed to rant about it a bit.

#2 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

I'll bite, since it's a Friday morning and I'm bored.  I've always sort of hated them, but I guess I'd say I'm apathetic at this point.  A lot of that has to do with my high school experience (fyi, late 80's/early 90's).  Tons of people at my school were obsessed with them (and classic rock in general)...and this was the period when they'd regularly sell out soldier field.  I mostly listened to metal back then, and pretty much everyone was totally dismissive of any music I listened to, which of course fueled an us-vs-them mentality...and thus my hatred for the GD.

Fast forward 20 years, and I'd say the tides have sort of turned.  I think the knee jerk response when you hear "jam band" nowadays is to think of them as a joke (wrongfully or rightfully).  It's odd to think that back during my high school years, that stuff was oddly and pervasively cool (phil jackson and his jerry garcia ties; the lithuanian olympic basketball team uniforms; half of ben and jerry's lineup; the spin doctors; Horde; etc.).

Anyway, I know none of this has anything to do with their music...but I don't really like that either.  Generally, I don't have much patioence for songs over 4 minutes long, so I'm never going to get into the jammy or instrumental stuff.  The straight forward country stuff is ok, but there are a few dozen other country artists I'd rather listen to before the dead.

Maybe I'm not the best person to participate in this thread.

#3 Fender

Fender

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

I've always been at least somewhat fascinated with the amazing "deadhead" following which seems to go beyond the usual "I love this band" opinion; as a sort of lifestyle participation -- the song "not fade away" live I remember as being fantastic -- working man's dead, american beauty, -- I've not gone too far into their catalogue, but I have heard some great stuff; and I do have plenty of patience for songs 4 minutes long or longer ; if it's working, and not merely showing off some musical skill...-- It's sorta like what Ebert once said -- If a movie is great,  it can't go on too long.

I'd like to hear about some experiences from those who've seen the band live a few times

#4 Fender

Fender

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

this is the 1st song I thought of when thinking about the Dead -- i haven't played it in decades but it's still in my mind

#5 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

This is the shittiest band to ever walk the fucking Earth. I would listen something like Jars of Clay for the rest of my life over The Grateful Dead if given the option.

I cannot fathom why anyone would sit through 3 hours of a Dick's Picks recording unless done so under gunpoint. An atrocious band. Fuck their music. Fuck their fans. Fuck everything about their bullshit history.

#6 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Nick bringing the absolute truth.

I think I despise their fans worse than the actual band and I'm OK with that.  One of the worst bands ever and to make matters worse, they spawned off bands like Dave Matthews and Phish. 

I took a customer of mine who was a huge Grateful Dead fan to a Radiohead concert a few years ago.  He said, "I don't get it.  These guys are way too weird for me".

#7 tager

tager

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Great band, Jerry Garcia will go down in history as a guitar genius.

#8 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

Wasn't this one of Montana's favourite bands?  Is this the equivalent of shouting "Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!" and then tempting someone else to shout the third one?

I have no opinions on this band, but I will say the 'Freaks and Geeks' episode where Lindsay falls in love the Dead is incredible and one of my favourite finales of all time.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280