• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, as the title suggests this is where we put any decent tunes 2014 has to offer. I'll start with the new Mariah Carey, perfect way to do an RnB ballad, smooth, restrained, laid back. Perfect little tune.

#2 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Song of the year so far? So fucking chill and emotional. Like a Burial without as much crackle and rainfall and genius, still an amazing track though.

#3 PopTodd

PopTodd

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

Chicago band that I just heard thanks to WXRT's local band showcase show "Local Anesthetic".

Digging this with a big shovel. Punk/post-punk a la Television/The Fall/The Strokes.

Get out your own shovel and dig it, yourself:

yes, i am in a band. i'll tell you about it sometime.

#4 Midnite_Vulture

Midnite_Vulture

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1794 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Chicago band that I just heard thanks to WXRT's local band showcase show "Local Anesthetic".

Digging this with a big shovel. Punk/post-punk a la Television/The Fall/The Strokes.

Get out your own shovel and dig it, yourself:

This was pretty fun. 

This is a bonus track on the upcoming limited edition re-release of 2010's  A Sucker For Pumps, but it finally hit last week, so I'm considering it a 2014 release. TiRon & Ayomari are actually one of my favorite artists going right now. They're a duo out of L.A. that straddle the line between hip hop and R&B with a lot of mid-90s and early neo-soul inflections. I just love their vibe all-around.

MV's blog: http://h-b-e.blogspot.com

MV's other blog about every mixtape he's ever made: http://mixedreaction.blogspot.com

"Our clique is the world. The world is our clique"

#5 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1548 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

New m83 single 'I Miss You' from the 'Divergent' soundtrack.  Sounds like a mixture of last year's 'Oblivion' song and 'Midnight City' (mainly cause there's a sax!).

http://www.buzzfeed....gent-soundtrack

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#6 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6367 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

http://entertain-me....t-music-tracks/

5. Wish I Didn't - Elizabeth and the Catapult

4. Stranger To My Happiness - Sharon Jones

3. I Got The Moves - Habibi

2. Battle Cry - Angel Haze 

1. Death Metal and Disco - Alex Dezen 

Couldn't get the playlist to work: 

http://www.youtube.c...EIWZxzWUVd_TyAE

And apparently we can only put two youtube clips per post. 

#7 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6367 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

Additional recommendations for two covers. 

La Honda - Moth in the Incubator (not on youtube) 

Elizabeth and the Catapult - True Love Will Find You In The End 

#8 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

New How To Dress Well is amazing;

Impeccable production, deep, atmospheric, anyone who liked House Of Balloons or his last album Total Loss will dig this.

#9 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1548 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:50 AM

I've been obsessed with this song all day, ever since seeing this performance on Letterman

Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting on You): Amazing pop song, with an incredible performance by the lead singer.  Seriously, how does that voice come from that dude?!

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

#10 PopTodd

PopTodd

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Seriously, he's Al Green one second and the next second he's Lou Rawls. And then he becomes Beelzebub.

Pretty awesome.

Although he's a little distracting to look at.

#11 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1548 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Seriously, he's Al Green one second and the next second he's Lou Rawls. And then he becomes Beelzebub.

Pretty awesome.

Although he's a little distracting to look at.

I'm obsessed with the song/that performance.  I've listened to an mp3 rip of it, another live mp3 and the album version of the song something like 23 times since last night.

-WavesWithin

#12 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thank you Caley for posting that Future Islands clip. Just a total transfixing, star/career-making performance. It's a bit like watching Peter Gabriel front New Order or something. I've watched it 3 times in a row now and watched the official video for the song. Now I'm gonna probably gonna buy this record, as well.  

"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#13 PopTodd

PopTodd

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Thank you Caley for posting that Future Islands clip. Just a total transfixing, star/career-making performance. It's a bit like watching Peter Gabriel front New Order or something. I've watched it 3 times in a row now and watched the official video for the song. Now I'm gonna probably gonna buy this record, as well.  

all this.

#14 Fender

Fender

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

all this.

Yeah, I'd never heard of this music before --- very intense and inspired performance -- and a great singer and band, even without a guitar.

#15 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'm deep down the Future Islands rabbit hole now. 

"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#16 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Isn't it a bit shit? The frontman looks and moves like he is playing a 1980s Canal Street gay bar.

#17 PopTodd

PopTodd

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Isn't it a bit shit? The frontman looks and moves like he is playing a 1980s Canal Street gay bar.

What does that have to do with anything?

#18 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Well, as a live performance it falls short as he looks a bit ridiculous and it distracts from the music.

Someone on a comment board wrote this about them:

future islands are great if you are a white middle aged man, if you are an 18 yr old kid into music they're an embarrassing shite -

I like em cos im old

Which sums it up even thought it is a bit reductionist.

#19 PopTodd

PopTodd

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

I am a white, middle-aged man.

But a white, middle-aged man who is into music.

#20 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Exactly - the quote is saying that eighteen year old music fans are going to find this lame and embarassing, whereas older music fans might love it. The band/song does hark back to another era.