themeparkexperience

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

from MTV News

Replacements Well, Some Of Them Reunite For New Songs
03.30.2006 8:12 AM EST

Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson team up for two new tracks.

The Pixies have buried the hatchet, and now it seems the other 1980s band no one thought would ever reunite has apparently done just that well, at least part of the band is working together. Legendary '80s Minneapolis rockers the Replacements have recorded two new songs for an upcoming greatest hits album, Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements, which is due out June 13.

In addition to songs selected from every one of the band's seven albums and their 1982 Stink EP, the 20-track compilation features two new songs recorded in December by singer/guitarist Paul Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson accompanied by session drummer Josh Freese, according to a Rhino press release. The first new songs from the band in 16 years are "Message to the Boys" and "Pool & Dive," which Westerberg wrote specifically for inclusion on the compilation.

Former guitarist Slim Dunlap who replaced original guitarist Bob Stinson, who died of a drug overdose in 1995 was not included in the sessions. At press time it was unclear if former drummer Chris Mars participated.

Known for their DIY ethic, notoriously unhinged drunken live shows and huge influence on the 1980s alt-rock scene, the 'Mats never achieved commercial success. But many of the beloved tales of rumpled dead-enders and never-been'ers that fans fell in love with, such as "Color Me Impressed," "I Will Dare," "Unsatisfied" and "Here Comes the Regular" show up on Don't You Know. A 2-CD set entitled All for Nothing ... Nothing for All featuring several of those songs plus rarities and outtakes was released in 1997.

According to a recent Rhinocast podcast interview with Tommy Stinson, still in the works is a comprehensive box set that will feature all of the band's albums along with bonus tracks and "things that have been in the vault for a while."

Stinson said both he and Westerberg have been listening to tapes and outtakes to find material to include in the set, which is also slated to include a DVD with a number of the band's live performances from "Saturday Night Live" to England's "Old Grey Whistle Test" music show. A series of expanded reissues of the band's albums is also in the works, but not yet scheduled.

Though rumors have floated for years that the Replacements might get back together, animosities and divergent career paths have frequently scuttled the reunion. Since the band's breakup in 1991, Mars has increasingly focused on his painting, Westerberg has toggled between writing his signature earnest, singer/songwriter pop tunes and grittier, bluesy albums under the name Grandpa Boy, while Stinson has fronted a series of power pop outfits (Bash & Pop, Perfect) and has been a member of Guns N' Roses for the past eight years. Dunlap has recorded a pair of solo CDs since the Replacements' acrimonious split.

Stinson said in the Rhinocast interview that the thaw in his relationship with Westerberg began when the former Replacements singer called Stinson in to play bass on the soundtrack to the animated film "Open Season," which Westerberg is scoring. Stinson said that gig led to him being asked to score the upcoming Jennifer Garner romantic comedy "Catch and Release." There was no word at press time whether the new songs would lead to any other new recordings or live appearances.

The full track list for Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?

"Takin a Ride"
"Shiftless When Idle"
"Kids Don't Follow"
"Color Me Impressed"
"Within Your Reach"
"I Will Dare"
"Answering Machine"
"Unsatisfied"
"Here Comes a Regular"
"Kiss Me on the Bus"
"Bastards of Young"
"Left of the Dial"
"Alex Chilton"
"Skyway"
"Can't Hardly Wait"
"Achin' To Be"
"I'll Be You"
"Merry Go Round"
"Message to the Boys"
"Pool & Dive"

Gil Kaufman

#2 Bhickman

Bhickman

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

Mars was there though, right? He just didn't play drums. Why not include Dunlap?
Rock & Roll Ghost Message Board

"No one on the corner has swagga like us"

#3 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, Mars sang back-up. He apparently doesn't drum anymore.

#4 without_opinion

without_opinion

Minister of Health

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:35 AM

wow, awesome. that's pretty funny to claim that stinson's been a part of guns n' roses for the last 8 years. 99% of people don't know that guns n' roses has existed for the last 8 years.
Music Is My Girlfriend (click for playlists) -- my brother's weekly radio show (new time!), Mondays, 2pm CST, out of Crested Butte, CO. Hear it at KBUT fm online

#5 Bhickman

Bhickman

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

Well, he has been contractually with GNR...but he's barely spent anytime as an actual member. I'm pretty sure he's out of that now, but I could be wrong.

#6 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

There's been some rumors that GNR, including Stinson, are in LA rehearsing for their European festival dates this summer.

#7 Bhickman

Bhickman

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

There are rumors that album is coming out, too.

#8 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:14 AM

GnR has sold a shit load of tickets for a European tour this summer. Stinson is still in GnR

2008-01-15-coopdevil01_lg.jpg

#9 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

The full track list for Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?

No "Fuck School" or "God Damn Job"? Boo.

#10 themeparkexperience

themeparkexperience

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:10 PM

I don't know about y'all's thoughts, but wouldn't this work better as a 2-CD set? There are so many great 'Mats songs that one CD is not enough.

#11 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

i would buy a mats box in a heartbeat considering everything i've ever heard about them almost makes them one of my favorite bands by default.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

Two discs would've been better. At the very least, I would've included these: "Johnny's Gonna Die" "Sixteen Blue" "Androgynous" "Little Mascara" "Valentine" "Anywhere's Better Than Here" "Talent Show" (or "Portland") "Sadly Beautiful" "All Shook Down" "Nobody"

#13 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

I don't know about y'all's thoughts, but wouldn't this work better as a 2-CD set? There are so many great 'Mats songs that one CD is not enough.

There is already a 2-CD set out (All For Nothing/Nothing At All), but it just covers the Warner period and the second disc is a rarities. Yeah, this should probably be a double disc, especially with the Ryko stufff on it, but at the same time I think that Rhino's point with this is to have a single disc for new fans and hopefully hook them so they'll buy the big box set when it comes out.

#14 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

pretty solid tracklisting--got some minor quibbles, but no major ones, which, when compared to that DP album especially, Is certainly a compliment.
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#15 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, a two-disc set might have been better, but this could be the best single-disc best-of set I've seen since Blur's.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 The Sheck

The Sheck

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:03 PM

Mars hasn't picked up a pair of drumsticks for at least ten years, while Slim has gone on record saying his time with the 'Mats wasn't all that fun. He chose not to record the new material.

It's funny how people are flipping out over this, when Mono, Stereo, and parts of Folker feature Tommy (uncredited) and Paul recording together. Guess it's all about a name...

#17 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

actually that was just a rumor about Tommy playing on Mono & Stereo (he didn't), but you're right, he did play on 2 tracks on Folker.

#18 voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:53 PM

There are rumors that album is coming out, too.

:lol: :lol:

Very much looking forward to the box set - the DVD certainly sounds interesting.
Who's your daddy?

#19 held

held

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3549 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

I put together a three disc comp of demo's based on everything they ever recorded outside of the other 'official' releases. A few popped up on AFN/NAA but I don't think there's much else to pull from other than the litany of covers they did live. I'd be just as satisified if they toured again. Hell, just play Grant Park for free again. :P
There is nothing more depressing than trying to appear happy when you are not."
- Nick Cave

#20 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

one of the new Replacements tracks (not sure which) will be debuted this Thursday on the Jim Rome show