• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 thrillho

thrillho

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4357 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

preface: this threads purpose is not to show any disrespect or any hint of ingratitude towards jason and whomever else brought back the sound opinions message board we call somb.

so, this is different. and new. and i am afraid of change. things i've noticed, or have been pointed out:

no secret forums... boooo!
pop-up when you click someones info... kind of cool.
gray + orange? meeeh.

share your thoughts on the new board, or some new little quirks it has that you either like or dislike. come on.

#2 beansimpson

beansimpson

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1568 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

preface: this threads purpose is not to show any disrespect or any hint of ingratitude towards jason and whomever else brought back the sound opinions message board we call somb.

so, this is different. and new. and i am afraid of change. things i've noticed, or have been pointed out:

no secret forums... boooo!
pop-up when you click someones info... kind of cool.
gray + orange? meeeh.
share your thoughts on the new board, or some new little quirks it has that you either like or dislike. come on.

Liked the old colors better, but do like the more minimalist feel.
Haven't found a spell check yet, but I'm sure that will come eventually.
Don't like how you have to scroll down in a normal reply to hit the 'Add Reply' button

But the board needed to be dumped, and I think this version is definately nice. Plus I'm sure there are a bunch of tweeks and touch ups that we haven't even found yet.
Iguchi-2 hits, 5 at bats, 7 RBI's. 6/25/06
Bean's favorite (not necessarely best) videos.

Run to the Hills-Holy Diver- DIO!-David Hasselhoff: Hooked on a Feeling -Sixteen Military Wives - The Decemberists -Judas Priest-Turbo Lover -Alice Cooper-Poison
"I'm so confused. In times of war, should I support the troops or the president?"-Neil Dawson, Farmworker

"Man, all the troops do these days is bitch, bitch, die unnecessarily, and bitch."-Heidi Williamson, Teacher

"What is up with boca burgers? I mean, for real, if you're all anti-meat because you think it's cruel and akin to murder, why do you make all your food look just like the damn thing? I mean, do you walk around with your peace gun or burn a cross for tolerance? I don't think so."-Ben

#3 thrillho

thrillho

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4357 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

hmm, i wish i knew how to edit the typo in the subject. derrrr.

#4 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10081 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

Don't like how you have to scroll down in a normal reply to hit the 'Add Reply' button

It was that way on the old board too (using Netscape). The colors remind me of my SF Giants, so it's all good.

#5 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

it's still an invision power board, jason probably just hadn't had the chance to do everything he did to modify the old board. let's give him some time. obviously it's not as easy on the eyes yet. i do prefer gray to blue though.

#6 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

oh, awesome there's little flames above threads that are "hot"

#7 Ben

Ben

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

What secret forum?
No, I'm Alpha Male.

#8 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

Anyone else think the logo up top makes the title look like "SOOMB"?
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#9 thrillho

thrillho

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4357 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

YES.

hmm, i wonder if we have to wait until 1,500 posts again to change our "status" thingy.

#10 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

YES.
hmm, i wonder if we have to wait until 1,500 posts again to change our "status" thingy.

Don't sweat it--you make a damn fine lurker.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#11 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:37 PM

Noope.

#12 beansimpson

beansimpson

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1568 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

I do miss the electron microscope images.

Run to the Hills-Holy Diver- DIO!-David Hasselhoff: Hooked on a Feeling -Sixteen Military Wives - The Decemberists -Judas Priest-Turbo Lover -Alice Cooper-Poison
"I'm so confused. In times of war, should I support the troops or the president?"-Neil Dawson, Farmworker

"Man, all the troops do these days is bitch, bitch, die unnecessarily, and bitch."-Heidi Williamson, Teacher

"What is up with boca burgers? I mean, for real, if you're all anti-meat because you think it's cruel and akin to murder, why do you make all your food look just like the damn thing? I mean, do you walk around with your peace gun or burn a cross for tolerance? I don't think so."-Ben

#13 thrillho

thrillho

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4357 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

my wish for this board, and perhaps a new rule (a la bill maher's new rules) is to be rid of the threads devoted to one person. not birthday threads, but, like "hey dr. bill there's some gay tv show you might like on channel 21 right now" or "i just left you a voicemail, simakos OWL".

#14 issachar

issachar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:50 PM

I much prefer the banishment of the icky blue board colors... I likes the orange... it feels... fresh... like the new board. Kudos to Jason.
same old izzy with his admin given nickname

#15 thrillho

thrillho

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4357 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

there's also a lofi version of the board up. i don't know if it was always an option, but. hey. if you are super paranoid at work, peep this:

http://www.soundopin...sion/index.php/

edit: i was informed it's always existed but it's new to me. so i share.

#16 beansimpson

beansimpson

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1568 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

I miss my old signature quotes. Wish I saved them.

#17 Sideswiped

Sideswiped

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:40 PM

So what SOMB vers. is this now? 4-5? It would be nice to have some variation of color between each post. They kind of meld together. The current color layout is still better than the old orange eyesore.
Mathematical Anti-Telharsic Harfatum Septomin

#18 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:40 AM

This new board will take some time to get used to, but I think in the end, I will grow to like it. I just miss my Hewletts Daughter name. Seeing "Derek" show up is wacky to me. Wish I didn't fuck up entering my information.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#19 thrillho

thrillho

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4357 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:43 AM

This new board will take some time to get used to, but I think in the end, I will grow to like it.
I just miss my Hewletts Daughter name. Seeing "Derek" show up is wacky to me. Wish I didn't fuck up entering my information.

there's apparently some way to change your member name, or there will be. if you go to someone's profile, it says "profile options" and then "member's display name history". i wish i knew how to change it, or if it'll ever be an option so i can go back to forgo for a week or two.

#20 ryan

ryan

God of Goldens!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4891 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:44 AM

Wish I didn't fuck up entering my information.

This is how I got stuck with "ryan" when I first registered on the board! I was going to be something exotic like UltraCobraHypnoEyes, but I fucked up on the fields. Consistency can be important, so I've stuck with "ryan" through a couple of the board meltdowns now.