1009 replies to this topic

#701 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:55 PM

Is something wrong with me if I think that apart from "Alone Again Or," Forever Changes is overrated?

Yes

#702 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:56 PM

Oy. While I thing all three artists are great obviously, the amount of Stones, Beatles and Dylan still left is ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous is the amount of Eno and Bowie ( although I do enjoy Ziggy Stardust).

[

It's worth noting Astral Weeks had 6 top ten votes and Electric Warrior's highest came at #11...so I guess "Bang A Gong" et al has a broader appeal, but those of us who dig Astral Weeks REALLY dig it.

Hey, you make one great cruise ship song and it carries an album..... :)
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#703 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:58 PM

Even more ridiculous is the amount of Eno and Bowie ( although I do enjoy Ziggy Stardust).

Fuck you. There's 1 Eno album and 2 Bowie albums left. Compare that to 5 Beatles albums and lord knows how many Stones

EDIT: I am quite pleased with Warm Jets cracking the Top 25. Didn't see that coming at all, well done SOMB

#704 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:00 AM

nm. caustic beat me to it, and with a suitably caustic reply.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#705 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Fuck you. There's 1 Eno album and 2 Bowie albums left. Compare that to 5 Beatles albums and lord knows how many Stones

Meh ...alright you have a point, no need to get nasty. I wasn't aware those were the only ones left.
- The Felice Brothers

#706 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

#25.

Posted Image

Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
(1301 Points, 17 Votes, One #1 Vote)

Year: 1973

US Chart Position: #151

UK Chart Position: #26

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #14 (year), #125 (decade), #348 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #243

AMG Says: "Yet the album wouldn't sound nearly as manic as it does without Eno's wildly unpredictable sound processing; he coaxes otherworldly noises and textures from the treated guitars and keyboards, layering them in complex arrangements or bouncing them off one another in a weird cacophony. Avant-garde yet very accessible, Here Come the Warm Jets still sounds exciting, forward-looking, and densely detailed, revealing more intricacies with every play."

Ranked Highest By: Vurt (#1) (also ranked #4 by Undercooked Sausagė, #7 by Mouthbreather and Nic and #8 by Cereberal Caustic)

Amazon Link
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#707 dano

dano

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1130 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:01 AM

Meh ...alright you have a point, no need to get nasty. I wasn't aware those were the only ones left.

You going on about glam the whole time has been wearing on people. In the end the big three are going to dominate the top anyways so don't worry about it.

#708 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:02 AM

That's cause the Stones rock n roll.

EDIT: I am quite pleased with Warm Jets cracking the Top 25. Didn't see that coming at all, well done SOMB

I have tried my ass off to get into that album. Sell me on it. The guy can't sing, the production is dated. What's good about it? I'm trying to be as open on it as I can. I have Bowies records, but never had my own copy of this.
- The Felice Brothers

#709 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:07 AM

That's cause the Stones rock n roll.

No denying that, but that still doesn't make the numbers 1 and 2 ridiculous amounts.

I have tried my ass off to get into that album. Sell me on it. The guy can't sing, the production is dated. What's good about it?

Uh... first of all, the productions is brilliant and was quite innovative. I mean Kraftwerk certainly sounds dated too, but it doesn't make it any less awesome.
The songs are just fantastic and the atmospheres here creates around his pop songs have never been matched (even by himself on later releases, with the exception of "St. Elmo's Fire"). He dresses up glam and takes it to college.

#710 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:10 AM

#24.

Posted Image

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
(1366 Points, 22 Votes, One #1 Vote)

Year: 1971

US Chart Position: #2

UK Chart Position: #1

Charting Singles: "Black Dog" (#15 US), "Rock and Roll" (#47 US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #2 (year), #11 (decade), #30 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #47

AMG Says: "Encompassing heavy metal, folk, pure rock & roll, and blues, Led Zeppelin's untitled fourth album is a monolithic record, defining not only Led Zeppelin but the sound and style of '70s hard rock. Expanding on the breakthroughs of III, Zeppelin fuse their majestic hard rock with a mystical, rural English folk that gives the record an epic scope. Even at its most basic -- the muscular, traditionalist "Rock and Roll" -- the album has a grand sense of drama, which is only deepened by Robert Plant's burgeoning obsession with mythology, religion, and the occult. "

Ranked Highest By: The Good Dr. Bill (#1) (also ranked #2 by Whichonespink, #4 by Petey, #6 by MyKineticAndroid, #7 by Saskadelphia and #10 by Gareth Kenan Invetigates)

Amazon Link

#711 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:14 AM

Uh... first of all, the productions is brilliant and was quite innovative. I mean Kraftwerk certainly sounds dated too, but it doesn't make it any less awesome.
The songs are just fantastic and the atmospheres here creates around his pop songs have never been matched (even by himself on later releases, with the exception of "St. Elmo's Fire"). He dresses up glam and takes it to college.

I think what I am referring to is the actual quality of the recording itself. It sounds like there are some nice effects, but it sounds like an old Billy Joel record in terms of audio quality.

I'm enjoying the last two songs, but the rest I don't really care for. Might be a grower.
- The Felice Brothers

#712 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:15 AM

#24.
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
(1366 Points, 22 Votes, One #1 Vote)

Thought that was top 20 material for sure!

It'll be fun to try to predict.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#713 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:15 AM

#24.

Posted Image

Hear that sound? We have entered the realm of kings......

It's all the big boys now.
- The Felice Brothers

#714 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:16 AM

I have tried my ass off to get into that album. Sell me on it. The guy can't sing, the production is dated. What's good about it?

I honestly could say the exact same thing about Piper

As for Eno, he wrote some fantastic pop songs, and added just the right amount of unconventional sounds to make them doubly interesting. My favorite moment on that album is the first chorus of "Cindy Tells Me", when he completely overwhelms everything with electronic crickets. Art + pop = my kind of music

#715 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:18 AM

#23.

Posted Image

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
(1506 Points, 22 Votes, One #1 Vote)

Year: 1971

US Chart Position: #1

UK Chart Position: #1

Charting Singles: "Brown Sugar" (#1 US, #2 UK), "Wild Horses" (#28 US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #5 (year), #18 (decade), #48 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #79

AMG Says: "Pieced together from outtakes and much-labored-over songs, Sticky Fingers manages to have a loose, ramshackle ambience that belies both its origins and the dark undercurrents of the songs. It's a weary, drug-laden album -- well over half the songs explicitly mention drug use, while the others merely allude to it -- that never fades away, but it barely keeps afloat [...] With its offhand mixture of decadence, roots music, and outright malevolence, Sticky Fingers set the tone for the rest of the decade for the Stones."

Ranked Highest By: Mouthbreather (#1) (also ranked #4 by Jmmrsn, #6 by DrewW, #8 by Bobzilla and #10 by Montana)

Amazon Link

#716 kinetic android

kinetic android

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:23 AM

This is the first time I've seen that Eno album cover up close (never heard it). Awesome :)

#717 voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:25 AM

#48.

Posted Image

The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
(912 Points, 14 Votes)

Year: 1968

US Chart Position: #77

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" (#74 US, #45 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #8 (year), #38 (decade), #163 (all-time)

AMG Says: "While many cite this as more of a Gram Parsons album than a Byrds set, given the strong country influence of McGuinn and Hillman's later work, it's obvious Parsons didn't impose a style upon this band so much as he tapped into a sound that was already there, waiting to be released. If the Byrds didn't do country-rock first, they did it brilliantly, and few albums in the style are as beautiful and emotionally affecting as this."

Ranked Highest By: Voodoodaddy (#3) (Also ranked #7 by Waylon Jennings and #9 by Nic)

Amazon Link

I didn't realize You Ain't Goin' Nowhere was a single or it would've made my singles list - probably top 10. Ah well...
Who's your daddy?

#718 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:27 AM

This is the first time I've seen that Eno album cover up close (never heard it). Awesome :)

You should definitely listen ASAP. It had a major impact on me when I first listened. Eno made something really special with that album.

#719 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:27 AM

#22.

Posted Image

The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society
(1508 Points, 24 Votes)

Year: 1968

US Chart Position: n/a

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #13 (year), #55 (decade), #215 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #43

AMG Says: "Ray Davies' sentimental, nostalgic streak emerged on Something Else, but it developed into a manifesto on The Village Green Preservation Society, a concept album lamenting the passing of old-fashioned English traditions. As the opening title song says, the Kinks -- meaning Ray himself, in this case -- were for preserving "draft beer and virginity," and throughout the rest of the album, he creates a series of stories, sketches, and characters about a picturesque England that never really was. It's a lovely, gentle album, evoking a small British country town, and drawing the listener into its lazy rhythms and sensibilities."

Ranked Highest By: Bobandbob (#3) (also ranked #7 by Abpos and MyKineticAndroiod, #9 by Mouthbreather and #10 by Undercooked Sausagė)

Amazon Link

#720 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:28 AM

I just counted off the remaining 22 and realized Today! didn't make this list at all?!? How did that happen?