Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

By One #1 Vote. Cool.

Dramatic shit! if only you'd ranked Revolver @ #59 SM :lol:

33 votes Vs. 32 as well, how many lists were there?
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#862 kinetic android

kinetic android

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

Good times GDB :)

#863 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

Yay! Way to go GDB. Another yeoman's job. Time for some detailed stats, followed by the singles results. When will I ever get any work done?

Prediction: Mitchell & I will argue over singles in the next poll. :lol:

I can save it until the Springsteen albums next time round, don't mind.

#864 thresholdofrevelation

thresholdofrevelation

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

Awsome countdown guys, now onto the poll everyone's really itching for...

#865 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

And yeah, thanks again Dr Bill. Topnotch job as usual

#866 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:10 PM

Which poll is that?
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#867 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

Mitchell, all's cool. I think my last post was still a bit confusing though. I didnt' mean that people would cynically vote for Revolver, but that they would honestly feel the Beatles deserved a spot on their list, and choose Revolver as the "alternative" to Sgt Peppers. It's not that I doubt it being their favorite Beatles record, just that they may not spend as much of their lives rating records as you or I do, and therefore not really have as informed an opinion as they might. Add to that that maybe the Beatles were never their favs and they are young and this isn't a period in music where their collections are that deep and they MAY wind up voting for a record that were they more familiar with the discography, they would opt for a different record.

Dude, I'll give you money to shut your gob.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#868 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

Which poll is that?

The Simpsons poll...right guys? :D

And Great job as always GDB.

#869 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

Thanks GDB. This bears repeating: 300-21 > 20-1

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#870 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

Revolver is pretty much mediocre for the first 7 seconds. Rest of it is quite good really.

It's kind of amusing in a touch-in-cheek way...you know, Revolver being the pinnacle of their studio period and letting us hear them holed up in the studio.

Don't mean to contradict you on every point...

GREAT job, GDB, can't wait 'til the next one.

#871 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

Great stuff. Ace job as usual, Bill.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#872 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

Revolver is pretty much mediocre for the first 7 seconds. Rest of it is quite good really.

It's kind of amusing in a touch-in-cheek way...you know, Revolver being the pinnacle of their studio period and letting us hear them holed up in the studio.

Don't mean to contradict you on every point...

I like it for the back reference to thier debut, what follows is rather different though.

#873 kinetic android

kinetic android

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

Thanks GDB.

This bears repeating:

300-21 > 20-1

Yeah, 280 albums are usually better than 20 in most situations...

#874 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Mitchell, all's cool. I think my last post was still a bit confusing though. I didnt' mean that people would cynically vote for Revolver, but that they would honestly feel the Beatles deserved a spot on their list, and choose Revolver as the "alternative" to Sgt Peppers. It's not that I doubt it being their favorite Beatles record, just that they may not spend as much of their lives rating records as you or I do, and therefore not really have as informed an opinion as they might. Add to that that maybe the Beatles were never their favs and they are young and this isn't a period in music where their collections are that deep and they MAY wind up voting for a record that were they more familiar with the discography, they would opt for a different record.

Dude, I'll give you money to shut your gob.

:unsure: jeez, a little touchy, are we? Man, you can be a real asshole.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#875 the eyes

the eyes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Awesome work, Good Dr Bill. And there are lots of interesting, lesser-known nuggets (no pun) hidden throughout the lower regions of this. The singles countdown is where it's gonna be at for neat surprises though, I'm thinkin'.
If you ain't gonna get it on, take your dead ass home.

#876 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

Great fun! I thought the list was excellent even though I poked fun at glam....
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#877 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:30 PM

Alright, Nancy, let's go:

Mitchell, all's cool. I think my last post was still a bit confusing though. I didnt' mean that people would cynically vote for Revolver, but that they would honestly feel the Beatles deserved a spot on their list, and choose Revolver as the "alternative" to Sgt Peppers.

Have a little respect for the people who voted. Take me, for shits-n-giggles--I chose Revolver as my highest ranking Beatles album solely because it's my favorite Beatles album. This whole "'alternative' to Sgt. Peppers" thing is a wicked-pompous, casually dismissive way to look at how other people voted.

It's not that I doubt it being their favorite Beatles record, just that they may not spend as much of their lives rating records as you or I do, and therefore not really have as informed an opinion as they might.

Other people's opinions aren't as "informed" because they're not as anal-rententive/obsessive-compulsive as you? Seriously, I'll take Montana's dopiest bit of baiting over this kind of "I feel more deeply than thou" elitism any day.

Add to that that maybe the Beatles were never their favs and they are young and this isn't a period in music where their collections are that deep and they MAY wind up voting for a record that were they more familiar with the discography, they would opt for a different record.

That big "MAY" is mighty white of you, but this sentence again reeks of "oh if only others knew the Beatles as well as I do, we could've had a different, better outcome." Get over yourself.

Sorry if I pimped Rubber Soul too much. I wasn't really aware I was doing it. Only recollection I have of it was when I tried to get Coolrock to make it #1 (to replace Beatles For Sale). Maybe I did it more often though. I dunno.

All for the pimping. Pimping is good. Denigrating people's opinions, knowledge, and votes after the fact is just bush league.

And if not wanting to be talked down to by you makes me an asshole, I can live with that.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#878 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:36 PM

Alright, Nancy, let's go:

Mitchell, all's cool. I think my last post was still a bit confusing though. I didnt' mean that people would cynically vote for Revolver, but that they would honestly feel the Beatles deserved a spot on their list, and choose Revolver as the "alternative" to Sgt Peppers.

Have a little respect for the people who voted. Take me, for shits-n-giggles--I chose Revolver as my highest ranking Beatles album solely because it's my favorite Beatles album. This whole "'alternative' to Sgt. Peppers" thing is a wicked-pompous, casually dismissive way to look at how other people voted.

It's not that I doubt it being their favorite Beatles record, just that they may not spend as much of their lives rating records as you or I do, and therefore not really have as informed an opinion as they might.

Other people's opinions aren't as "informed" because they're not as anal-rententive/obsessive-compulsive as you? Seriously, I'll take Montana's dopiest bit of baiting over this kind of "I feel more deeply than thou" elitism any day.

Add to that that maybe the Beatles were never their favs and they are young and this isn't a period in music where their collections are that deep and they MAY wind up voting for a record that were they more familiar with the discography, they would opt for a different record.

That big "MAY" is mighty white of you, but this sentence again reeks of "oh if only others knew the Beatles as well as I do, we could've had a different, better outcome." Get over yourself.

Sorry if I pimped Rubber Soul too much. I wasn't really aware I was doing it. Only recollection I have of it was when I tried to get Coolrock to make it #1 (to replace Beatles For Sale). Maybe I did it more often though. I dunno.

All for the pimping. Pimping is good. Denigrating people's opinions, knowledge, and votes after the fact is just bush league.

And if not wanting to be talked down to by you makes me an asshole, I can live with that.

Listen, slackster, all you say would be fair game IF it wasn't preceeded by the previous back and forth between Mitchell & I. I KNOW there are LOTS of folks who legitimately love these records. I can definitely understand your reaction assuming you hadn't read the previous discussion. Sorry if I offended you.

And the big MAY was truly meant to eliminate the many voters who are well versed in this era. Heck, judging by this poll, I'd say I'm way less than well versed in this era myself. Any indication otherwise was wholly unintended.

Music's subjective; I don't pretend to have an opinion better than anyone else's. Just tried to explain why I think sometimes polls misrepresent opinions is all. jeez.

This must be how hickman feels all the time. sigh. :mellow:
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#879 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

Yeah, 280 albums are usually better than 20 in most situations...

Yeah, along with volume the variety is nice too.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#880 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:47 PM

By One #1 Vote. Cool.

Sweet- glad I got my list in at the last minute. The White Album doesn't belong in the top ten...it's an imperfect record, albeit with brilliant peaks.

Not that it matters, but who cast that last vote?

Guilty as charged. Yay Revolver! :D
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!