3536 replies to this topic

#1 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:23 AM

Apparently some of you are gamers, as the Gamers Unite! thread got a decent amount of responses tonight. We've got Now Playing threads for music, movies, and books, so why not games? Let's give it a shot.I'm playing a ton of games right now. Too many, probably. I'll post the covers and then drop some details/impressions.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImageOkay, so I'm not playing all eight in equal amounts, but that's a combination of recent purchases as well as what I'm currently knee-deep in. Metal Gear Acid 2 is excellent; a bit better than the first, but mostly more of the same (which I'm cool with). Should be completing that tomorrow, and will write a review for Static. I loved the original Kingdom Hearts, and the sequel is much improved, though a majority of the seven hours I've played thus far has been cut-scenes. Fun to watch, though. I dubbed the first one "fucking magical" upon completion and expect this to conjure up the same feelings in the end. I just picked up Tomb Raider Legend today, but the demo I played was excellent. Way, way better than the last few Tomb Raider titles. Major League Baseball 2K6... not so hot. Barely looks better than the standard Xbox version, plays so-so, and has a fatal error that crashes your 360! Being returned Friday, for sure.God of War is spectacular, one of the best games of 2005. It's now available for $20, which is why I finally picked it up. I think I'm about halfway through. Burnout Revenge is the best game in the series, which really says a lot, considering how grand Burnout 3: Takedown was. I wrote a review for Static if anyone's interested. Great on all three systems, too. Rez is a strange, strange game. I had been looking for it for several years and finally came face to face with a copy two weeks ago (in new, perfect shape). Despite having never played it, I popped $35 for it. Worth the investment? Hard to say at this point, but I may end up digging it in the long run. Can always sell it on eBay for $50 if I don't. And finally, Top Spin 2... a bit dull, but it's a discounted game (well, $40 compared to $60 for most 360 games). It's tough, too. I'm actually having some trouble with it despite being pretty good at the original.Go!

#2 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:51 AM

Re: Kingdom Hearts 2--they got rid of the fucking Gummi Ship, I take it? ;)

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#3 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8949 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

How did you get your hands on Rez? :o I've been looking for that for years now. Last time I checked, Ebay prices on it were averaging around $70. It's supposed to be really good.

#4 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:05 AM

Posted ImageI'm actually on my way to play this with some friends right now. It is like Gauntlet, but with a coat of Resident Evil thrown over it. It really is mindless fun, and solo-play is incredibly boring, but multiplay is quite fun. Fortunely, I picked this one up from a used game store around the corner from my house, so it ended up only costing me $10. Posted Image ^ The player is often surrounded by multiple enemies at once. This gives the game a frantic pace.Posted Image^ The graphics are clean and fairly detailed, but they won't blow anyone away.Verdict: If you can pick it up cheap, Hunter can be a fun little game to play with friends. Just dont expect any kind of depth, because this game is solely lacking in that department.
I don't even get your t-shirts pun.

#5 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8949 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:12 AM

Posted ImageThis game is HARD. Like the originals, one hit and you're dead. And when you're out of lives, that's it. You can continue and restart the level, but you've got to go through the whole thing at once. I've yet to try the Konami Code on this one, but I just get the feeling that they probably aren't going to make it that easy for players to cheat with (the best I can do is change the difficulty from normal to easy, which as far as I can tell, just gives you a few more lives to work with).I mean, there are a lot of really complex games out there with steep learning curves... RPGs with endless configurations and complexities waiting to be unravelled, or fighters with countless moves and combos to memorize. This game, on the other hand, is ridiculously simple, but from the very beginning, throws everything that it has at you refuses to give you a break just because you're just starting out.Maybe I'm just getting old and rusty, but I will be very surprised if I clear a single level in this one anytime soon.

#6 shimmy

shimmy

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

playing Ghost Recon and Burnout on 360 right now.Also just picked up Amped 3, cheapest 360 game used, $29.99also playing (360) farcry, DoA4, and Oblivion (which I finally managed to take a few days off of)also since the old xbox games look so damn good on the 360 with a HDTV I grabbed Battlefront II which is really fun! almost looks like it could be a new gen game.anyway deja let me know how your liking "tomb raider" and "top spin." Personally I cannot wait for the PS3; not that I'll buy it, but the fact that it will push Microsoft to finally release there MAJOR games: too human, mass effect and gears of war!I quit playing games all together around the time N64 was big. for some reason I'm 13 again but even more so.

#7 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

Posted Image

Nearly bought this when I saw it's affordable price tag, I was pretty decent at contra games but I never could beat one. The one that came out for SNES that had the overhead sections was one of the best games ever.Posted Image Posted ImageThe mega man game is god awful, the Final Fantasy one is pretty great, probably Square best game since FFVII, not that I've paid any attention really to games that have come out since but hey.P.S. here's a site that may be of interest to the board, since we seem to be by and large budget bin gamers.www.cheapassgamer.com
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

Posted Image

A friend and I rented that one once. It was pretty fun, but we had to return it before we ever finished it.

#9 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

We did have a Now Gaming thread on the old board now that I recall, it's just that it was often buried in obscurity at the time. Games were expensive at the time.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

I'm not a huge wrestling fan, but ive always loved the videogames. Needless to say, screens like this are gonna make not picking up a PS3/X360 very hard.Posted Image^let's see your current gen systems handle sweat like that!
I don't even get your t-shirts pun.

#11 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image Still playing this fucking game. I'm like three or four songs away from beating it on Expert. I swear to you, avoid this game at all costs unless you have blocks of time on yer' hands cause it will be addicting.Posted ImageThis game is so great. Seriously, if you have an XBOX and find this for about 10-20 bucks, get it. Especially if you're into first person shooters with a bit of an RPG and choose yuor own story feeling behind it.Oh yeah dude, how is MLB 2K6? Granted the 360 version is a bit different, but I read some reviews of the PS2/Xbox ports, and it sounds basically like crap. So I think I will be avoiding it, even though I really considered buying it the other day.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#12 wakingrufus

wakingrufus

And then John was a Sombie

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2376 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

How did you get your hands on Rez? :o I've been looking for that for years now. Last time I checked, Ebay prices on it were averaging around $70. It's supposed to be really good.

rez is for dreamcast. that must be a PS2 port. probably easier to find. i really want Rez for Dreamcast, but yeah it is hella expensive.i recently quit wow. since then i have been p[laying oblivion. i tried out second life, but couldnt get into it. im ordering Mr. Driller 2 for teh GBA this week so that should be fun :D
Last.fm: Posted Image

#13 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

Just finished this:Posted ImageHands down the best atmosphere I've ever experienced in a game. Very effective story-telling too, as it let you actually play the story, instead of bombarding you with cutscenes. I actually gasped a couple timesStarting up these two, both fun so far:Posted Image Posted ImageAnd when we both have time, my wife and I will play through this:Posted Image

#14 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

Re: Kingdom Hearts 2--they got rid of the fucking Gummi Ship, I take it? ;)

They replaced it with way better Panzer Dragoon-ish shooting sequences.

I work at GameStop... we got one in from corporate, "used" but clearly just an opened new copy. Apparently, we got another one the week after, so you might want to troll GameStop stores to see if you can find one. They're selling it for $39.99. And like Rufus said, Rez was originally for Dreamcast, but ported to the PS2. The Dreamcast one never came out in America, so we don't really have that option.shimmy - Amped 3 was great, I really dug it. I'll let you know what I think of Tomb Raider/Top Spin as I play them more. The Tomb Raider demo is available on the Live Marketplace, check it out.Sausage - Final Fantasy X was fantastic, definitely my second-favorite behind FFVII.Derek - Yeah, MLB 2K6 hasn't been so hot. I'll be playing a bit of it (and MLB06: The Show) for a potential Flyer article about this season's baseball games, so I'll let you know if my opinion changes. The more I play these games, I've come to a realization: I never really loved baseball video games, I loved MVP Baseball. These are no substitute.

#15 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

Derek - Yeah, MLB 2K6 hasn't been so hot. I'll be playing a bit of it (and MLB06: The Show) for a potential Flyer article about this season's baseball games, so I'll let you know if my opinion changes. The more I play these games, I've come to a realization: I never really loved baseball video games, I loved MVP Baseball. These are no substitute.

Seriously glad I didn't buy it when I saw it the other day. I really considered it, but put the breaks on right away. In retrospect, I made the right decision.

#16 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

Have you guys played the Warriors game? That shit is fucking fun. I played it a bunch over Xmas with my bro-in-law.I need to get a copy for myself.

#17 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8949 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

I work at GameStop... we got one in from corporate, "used" but clearly just an opened new copy. Apparently, we got another one the week after, so you might want to troll GameStop stores to see if you can find one. They're selling it for $39.99. And like Rufus said, Rez was originally for Dreamcast, but ported to the PS2. The Dreamcast one never came out in America, so we don't really have that option.

Ah, yeah I was probably looking for the Dreamcast version originally. I bought one of those systems used a few years ago but later found that most of the really interesting-looking games that I had been assuming I'd be able to pick up used were basically impossible to find or simply not available at all. I guess I'll look for the PS2 version of Rez in the future, but I've got my hands full right now with more than enough games that I have yet to complete.

#18 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

Sausage - Final Fantasy X was fantastic, definitely my second-favorite behind FFVII.

Not that nuts about it, IV and VI still blow it out of the water.One obnoxious thing I've notice on the last two fantasies as that in their concern that battles aren't as engaging as they should be they go on for too long. I liked ending random encounters in a turn or two in IV, VI, and VII instead of a few turns like IX and X.Also, what's with status ailments being used so frequently as well? Instead of making the game more challenging, it just makes it more frustrating. A disturbing trend I noticed in FFIX's dearth of effects and FFX less than effective use of them as well. Seriously, having bosses where all they do is break, berserk, and confuse constantly is a fucking nuisance.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:30 PM

Have you guys played the Warriors game? That shit is fucking fun. I played it a bunch over Xmas with my bro-in-law.I need to get a copy for myself.

Dude, yeah that game is great. It's so pointless, but so amazingly fun. Walk, beat the fuck out of someone. Walk, beat the fuck out of someone. Et cetera et cetera. One of the best impulse buys I have ever made.

#20 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:34 PM

Yeah. Stealing car stereos and shit is fun, too. "Warriors...Come out and pla-a-a-a-a-y..."