3536 replies to this topic

#2901 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

whoa. I was just playing around in the Spore creature creator and it's really fun. Even with all the limitations b/c it's a trial, it was a blast. I can't wait for it to come out, it'll be crazy to see all the combinations you can make for a creature.

When is it coming out? Seems like it's been in development for years.

#2902 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 02:08 AM

Just reached level 21 in Age Of Conan and am beginning to explore the larger world.

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Totally. Tortage is nothing in comparison to where you go next. Some of the scenery is just epic. Are you still playing PvP?

When I started my Herald of Xoliti(sp?) character I inadvertedly picked a PvE server. Is it possible to switch your character to a PvP server or will I have to start again from scratch and pick the correct server?

Either way, this game is hugely enjoyable. I've been reading the forums and it seems HoX are a pretty difficult class to play in PvP. Whilst they dish out some huge damage (fire lance is supposed to be the best combo in the game), they're pretty weak with their inability to wield a shield and wear anything but cloth armour. Still, I love my character and he's developing nicely.

Brilliant game.

edit: I think I might start my character again. PvP seems to be place to be. Tyranny server you say?

Yeah, I got a Tempest Of Set on the PvP Tyranny server. But I wanted to experience the game world fully without being gang raped.

My mates mostly play weekends so that leaves me alone in the wider world the majority of the time. I wasn't enjoying the game under those conditions. Started an alt-chr in PvE with which I just hit 21 lvl.

Really enjoying going through the game without the constant specter of death PvP brought. Still playing my ToS on Tyranny but now I got a Dark Templar on PvE.

Can't fucking wait to trample motherfuckers with my Killer Rhino. Oh man.

Posted Image
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#2903 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:27 AM

Whoa, thats brilliant. My HoX character is lvl 21 now as well and I too am exploring that sand world too (which I can't remember the name of). I didn't realise you could get transports until I saw some dude on a horse, but that rhino is absurd!

#2904 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:57 AM

There is also a War Mammoth that one can acquire in addition to War Horses and War Rhinos.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#2905 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

So, I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone here play Guild Wars? I must confess I dabble in my more bored summer hours.
"Attention camp compound. Urine specimens will be required from all pers... Uh... pe... Uh, disregard last transmission." -Announcer, M.A.S.H.

#2906 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:42 AM

That's the one where you don't have to pay a subscription fee right? Never played it. Any good?

#2907 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:51 AM

Guild Wars is fun. I stopped playing when the gameplay got a bit thin for me. Somewhere around the second expansion, whatever it was called. Good game. PVP and no fees are the main draw.

#2908 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

Guild Wars is fun. I stopped playing when the gameplay got a bit thin for me. Somewhere around the second expansion, whatever it was called.

Good game. PVP and no fees are the main draw.

Pretty much. I've had it for a few years, and still manage to find it enjoyable. I do take random breaks for months at a time though. I thought to post this when I was playing the other night, and the radical thought of a Sound Opinions guild came into my mind, which I found highly amusing.
"Attention camp compound. Urine specimens will be required from all pers... Uh... pe... Uh, disregard last transmission." -Announcer, M.A.S.H.

#2909 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:00 PM

Got my pvp character to lvl 20 in 3 days (I have no job) and I've been enjoying it. You have to constantly have your wits about you otherwise someone's coming up behind you and you're a goner. Only quibbles being complete lamers who are 10+ lvls above you who feel a need to ruin your questing with by squishing you as they run by. I need to team up with someone (I can't get tyranny server because I'm in Europe btw).

#2910 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, but here is the rub on AoC; a bunch of lower level characters can quickly and easily take out dudes higher in level than the sum total of the party. Definitely need to apprentice with someone or at least have a mate watching your back. Assassins are evil motherfuckers.

#2911 Ennui

Ennui

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3180 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

Guys, if I get this in july will any of you still be low enough to chill w/ me around lvl 20?
But among the jackals, the panthers, the bitch hounds, The apes, the scorpions, the vultures, the serpents, The yelping, howling, growling, crawling monsters, In the filthy menagerie of our vices, There is one more ugly, more wicked, more filthy! Although he makes neither great gestures nor great cries, He would willingly make of the earth a shambles And, in a yawn, swallow the world; He is Ennui! His eye watery as though with tears, He dreams of scaffolds as he smokes his hookah pipe. You know him reader, that refined monster, Hypocritish reader, my fellow, my brother!

#2912 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:07 AM

No.

But Age Of Conan has an apprentice feature that allows higher level characters to train lower level characters. If a higher level mate accepts your apprenticeship, your low level character will automatically be brought up in level equal to the higher level player. You won't get the feats or perks as if you gained those levels naturally, but you will be able to survive and gain levels faster than if you were out there on your own. When an apprenticeship is terminated, you go back to your normal level but keep whatever levels you (and perks) you gained while being stewarded.

Age Of Conan's design wants you to form war bands, adventuring parties, guilds, et cetera- without the artifice of required raids and quests.

It's pretty awesome. You need never worry about your friends out leveling you.

Here is some more info; link.

#2913 Ennui

Ennui

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3180 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Cool. This game looks great, I can't wait to get the cash for my new laptop.
But among the jackals, the panthers, the bitch hounds, The apes, the scorpions, the vultures, the serpents, The yelping, howling, growling, crawling monsters, In the filthy menagerie of our vices, There is one more ugly, more wicked, more filthy! Although he makes neither great gestures nor great cries, He would willingly make of the earth a shambles And, in a yawn, swallow the world; He is Ennui! His eye watery as though with tears, He dreams of scaffolds as he smokes his hookah pipe. You know him reader, that refined monster, Hypocritish reader, my fellow, my brother!

#2914 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Well I'm in Europe which uses a completely different set of servers unfortunately so I won't be able to play with you. But don't let that put you off, I havn't really made a proper 'friend' yet but I'm still enjoying the hell out if. Damo makes a great point about the apprenticeship feature as well.

#2915 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

Finally decided that I will cover E3 in Los Angeles next month. Going as a freelancer, so the flight/hotel costs are kind of ridiculous (thank god it's a tax write-off), but found out I should be able to not only make up the difference with my writing, but have a good shot at making a few bucks over the course of some hectic days.

The fact that it's less than two weeks after my big move to Chicago isn't great timing, but it's a pretty essential career move and will inform my work for the rest of the year.

I finally need to order some business cards. (Any recommendations?)

#2916 JeffTweedysFatStomach

JeffTweedysFatStomach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

Can't find my Civ IV discs and I'm too lazy to pirate it so I have been kicking some Civ III ass lately. Also finally got that latest Zelda game for GameCube which I plan to indulge in after finishing The Witcher (anyone else play this game? A great single player RPG).

#2917 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

I played through The Witcher. It was terrific. Initially I thought it shovelware. But the game was rather polished and inventive.

#2918 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

I am enjoying Half-Life 2
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#2919 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

So apparently a great side benefit of Wii Fit is that videos of hot chicks doing Wii Fit are showing up on the net. I've seen a couple over at break.com and apparently there is a good one at playboy, too. Ha!

#2920 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3854 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

So I don't post in this thread much, but I just saw that Rock Band is coming to the Wii. So, should I get it taking into account these factors: (1) I'm never gonna form a band with friends or do any of that stuff; and (2) I won't be singing? I guess that pretty much just leaves the drums, which don't look like that much fun based on the rock band displays I've seen at Best Buy.