Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

Ask for a gaming PC.

Yeah.

I wouldn't call spore a massive failure. There is a midground between greatest game ever made and massive failure. I think spore is somewhere in between. It's got an 85 on metacritic and sales are through the roof....not really a massive failure. Maybe a massive let down....but critically and financially it's not really failing.

I don't know. Considering the difference between what it set out to do and what it eventually became, I'd say "massive failure" is a pretty accurate description. Sure, it'll make money. With the marketing behind the game, it'd be hard not to. And that Metacritic rating is not too surprising. Game critics are pretty worthless overall, if not bought and paid for, and I think they're being overly generous because of the hype and because of Will Wright. It may not be the worst game ever, but it's still pretty bad.
Few beings have ever been so impregnated, pierced to the core, by the conviction of the absolute futility of human aspiration. The universe is nothing but a furtive arrangement of elementary particles. A figure in transition toward chaos. That is what will finally prevail. The human race will disappear. Other races in turn will appear and disappear. And human actions are as free and as stripped of meaning as the unfettered movements of the elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, sentiments? Pure ‘Victorian fictions.’ All that exists is egotism. Cold, intact, and radiant.

Michel Houellebecq

#3222 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:57 AM

Spore is the equivalent of a big budget movie with a famous director and all star cast that winds up being awful. It does make a lot money on its opening weekend due to the relentless hype, but doesn't do much after that because of the negative word of mouth.

Who cares about Spore when Peggle Nights has just been released!!

Posted Image

#3223 Ogawa

Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

Who cares about Spore when Peggle Nights has just been released!!

Indeed. A new Peggle is worth a million Spores.
Few beings have ever been so impregnated, pierced to the core, by the conviction of the absolute futility of human aspiration. The universe is nothing but a furtive arrangement of elementary particles. A figure in transition toward chaos. That is what will finally prevail. The human race will disappear. Other races in turn will appear and disappear. And human actions are as free and as stripped of meaning as the unfettered movements of the elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, sentiments? Pure ‘Victorian fictions.’ All that exists is egotism. Cold, intact, and radiant.

Michel Houellebecq

#3224 Stan Gable

Stan Gable

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

Force Unleashed is pretty fun. But the glitches and obviously limited scope of the design hurts what would have been the best SW game since KOTOR.

Also, the suggestion of Vader starting the Rebellion is nonsensical. And it betrays Vader's redemption in episode 3.

This is disappointing to read.

And WTF - it suggest Vader started the Rebellion?! That's fucking stupid.

#3225 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

I wouldn't call spore a massive failure. There is a midground between greatest game ever made and massive failure. I think spore is somewhere in between. It's got an 85 on metacritic and sales are through the roof....not really a massive failure. Maybe a massive let down....but critically and financially it's not really failing.

In concept, gameplay and design the game is not even close to being good. The gameplay is shallow enough to be nonexistent. The design is shoddy to the point there is no incentive or advantage to any choice a player makes. There is not even an illusion to the creation or vehicles/creatures/society. In fact the game does away with the pretense altogether around the tribla stage. Conceptually, the game is an incomplete progression of video gaming and offers no commentary to the already flimsy allegory.

There is no aspect of design or gameplay in which Spore succeeds.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#3226 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

spore is getting good reviews because it's a will wright game, because of the hype, and because reviewers are scared of slamming it because they probably think they havent invested enough time in it to properly trash it. However, spore is not deep or involving and is the biggest letdown of the decade.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3227 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

whatever coolness and potential the space phase has is ruined by constant pirate attacks, poor AI, and the general monotony of collecting spice and not really feeling like you've accomplished anything whatsoever.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3228 Ogawa

Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

Speaking of pirate attacks, anyone here play Sins of a Solar Empire?

Michel Houellebecq

#3229 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

Speaking of pirate attacks, anyone here play Sins of a Solar Empire?

Yes, I posted about SoSE several times in this thread. It's fantastic if only for the groundbreaking UI. The gameplay is very deep. Though I felt the planetary development process was a bit too simple and easy to game/mine for invincible fleets. The map editor was also very limited which disappointed me a bit. Still very good game. Not GalCiv level of awesome. But good nonetheless.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#3230 Ogawa

Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

I played the shit out of it when it first came out. Haven't been back to it in awhile, though. The new 1.1 patch sounds interesting.

Changelog http://forums.sinsof...pire.com/316556 and http://forums.sinsof...pire.com/324241

Michel Houellebecq

#3231 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, I kept an eye on SoSE patches. Most excited about the UI improvements (streamlining commands to min/max trade/warfare windows is awesome) than the fixes to balance. The AI put up a good fight through good economical decisions on higher difficulty levels. The balance fixes are really only necessary in MP, which is moot because nobody plays MP.

To be honest, I am more excited for Sword Of the Stars: Murder Of Crows and Sword Of the Stars 2. As far as streamlined 4x space strat games g, I found SoS to be a more enjoyable game. Though again, SoSE had incredible UI design and depth. But it almost becomes an issue of not going far enough in SoSE.

#3232 Ogawa

Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

I hadn't heard of Sword of the Stars. I'll give it a look.

Michel Houellebecq

#3233 petras

petras

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

In concept, gameplay and design the game is not even close to being good. The gameplay is shallow enough to be nonexistent. The design is shoddy to the point there is no incentive or advantage to any choice a player makes. There is not even an illusion to the creation or vehicles/creatures/society. In fact the game does away with the pretense altogether around the tribla stage. Conceptually, the game is an incomplete progression of video gaming and offers no commentary to the already flimsy allegory.

There is no aspect of design or gameplay in which Spore succeeds.

You could say pretty much all the same stuff about the sims, and yet it continues to sell an insane amount of copies. Not everyone is looking for spore to deliver deep gameplay on par with a civilization game, some people just like making creatures and spaceships. The creature/etc and sharing options do actually deliver on their promises. For every person who tells me they hate it there's another person who tells me they love it. The creature creator has been selling very very well since it's release I really don't think we're going to see a drop off in spore sales. Just because it's not appealing to the hardcore gamer doesn't make it a massive failure. And I really don't think Will Wright is magically above criticism from game journalists. The game is getting good but not great reviews and I think that's fair.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."

#3234 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

The Sims does not qualify as a video game. No.

#3235 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

anything below a 9.0 for spore review means the reviewer thinks the game sucks ass but doesn't really know how to say it i guarantee in ten years IGN will say this game is disappointing and not very fun
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3236 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:55 PM

Just finished Mass Effect, just started Call of Duty 4.

i just finished COD4 again. This time on the Hardened Veteran setting. not as horrible as i thought it would be. Now COD2 is fucking tough on the high level. not sure if i have the sanity to crack it.

back to Bioshock! is there a sequel coming for this?

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#3237 Spiz

Spiz

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

back to Bioshock! is there a sequel coming for this?

http://xbox360.ign.c...9/879727p1.html

The chairman of 2K already announced BioShock 3 lol.

#3238 Spiz

Spiz

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

I only pretty much play the easy songs as well, because im primarily the vocalist and those are the songs i know and like to sing

just because ive been playing nonstop for the last two days doesnt mean im any good at the game

me and GDB have been tearing shit up though

All right, we'll I'll jump on tonight.

#3239 Efrim

Efrim

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3280 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

anything below a 9.0 for spore review means the reviewer thinks the game sucks ass but doesn't really know how to say it

i guarantee in ten years IGN will say this game is disappointing and not very fun

Yeah, the general population of game reviewers are ridiculously awful at cutting through hype. I can't say for sure since I haven't played it, but I would imagine Yahtzee Croshaw has the most accurate Spore review out there. Of course, he has the most accurate reviews on every game.

#3240 Spiz

Spiz

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

I don't know if you guys listen to podcasts at all, but GFW Radio is ending. Jeff Green left last week and this week Shawn Elliott will announce he's leaving. It's a sad fucking day. Best gaming/non-gaming related podcast evar. gfwradio.1up.com