3536 replies to this topic

#1961 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

Despite the new name, it's actually Activision and Vivendi merging (Blizzard is owned by Vivendi) -- and though Blizzard is their biggest property, they also have F.E.A.R., Scarface, TimeShift, World in Conflict, and the nearly-obsolete Crash Bandicoot and Spyro licenses. Pretty crazy thing to wake up to on a Sunday. I had one new e-mail in my box and figured it was probably a shitty Ticketmaster or iTunes newsletter. Nope -- Activision's investor relations (ha) mailing list sent me the press release.

#1962 Spiz

Spiz

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

So, a friend just gave me his modded xbox (not 360) with hard drive and ethernet cable and everything.

We played for a little while, and it froze up.

Turned it off for a while, picked it up, and it froze right away.

Now it says I've got a problem and have to talk to customer service.

Anyone with any experience with this sort of thing that can offer come advice?

Yes. I owned an 360 for less than a year. It's been broken for roughly 4 months of that time. It's currently holed up in a repair centre for the 2nd time.

I like Microsft, their customer support is top notch. I was refunded for the first time, and I'm under warranty for the 2nd time. It's just such a shame that their machine is so unreliable because the games beat the shit out of PS3.

Xbox broke about a month ago so I still have to play PES7, Assasins Creed, Mass Effect, Halo 3 etc. It's due back roughly around Christmas time, so hopefully I'll be getting some playing time in then.

Have you got the red lights?

I thought he was talking about xbox 1? Anyway, that system sucked too. I remember playing SSX 3, and I couldn't use a character because if I tried my system would freeze. I remember a lot of freezing. The disc drive is super sensitive so try cleaning it with a lens cleaner, or something. It helps a little, but that system is gonna freeze up no matter what. Microsoft clearly doesn't know how to make hardware.

#1963 doc

doc

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

IGN's Top 100 Games of All Time

I haven't even heard of half the games on there, so I guess my only complaint is Goldeneye at #75, should be higher.

#1964 Dread

Dread

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:53 AM

All right, I beat Mass Effect last night as the upstanding white guy Ace Shepard, colonist whose friends and family had been killed and had been the sole survivor in an attack against his unit. He could do no wrong except agree to kill a couple of gangsters and accidentally run over a monkey. I started a new game as Leslie, tougher-than-tough Earth-born streetrat who will kill everyone else under her command as long as she gets the job done. I've also decided to make her have a lesbian affair with a blue alien. Despite not being as crazy about the game as I thought I would've been, I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect 2 because it definitely seems like your character will carry over... and the prospect of being able to use both of these characters and face the consequences I made with both of them in later games is pretty damn cool. There's definitely a couple of big choices you have to make in the game, and it'll be interesting to see if Bioware can make it so those decisions will actually carry weight over the rest of the story. Even some smaller choices in this game could seriously affect me in the future. As Ace, I decided not to help the Shadow Broker, a neutral party in basically everything who sells information to anyone and everyone to keep things balanced. When I decided not to help them, they responded with a "We'll see what happens if you ever need the Shadow Broker in the future then." It would be awesome if in the third game that really comes back to bite me.

#1965 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

I haven't even heard of half the games on there, so I guess my only complaint is Goldeneye at #75, should be higher.

is there a list of it anywhere? can't be arsed with 100 clicks ;)

Posted Image

#1966 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

It's filled with RPGs. ugh, those games are so boring.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#1967 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

this has been pretty cool so far.
http://dsc.discovery...video-game.html

#1968 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:08 PM

It's filled with RPGs. ugh, those games are so boring.

Horrible list. I'm not a huge gamer but according to that list, the 100 greatest video games of all time only includes 5 arcade games: and those arcade games are: Ms. Pacman, Street Fighter, Contra, Space Invaders, Star Wars, and Bionic Commando???

If you're going to omit the likes of Galaga, Defender, Rampage, Gauntlet (and whatever else I wasted my quarters on) then just omit arcade games, and limited the list to counsel/pc games.

#1969 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:44 PM

I dunno if that's a far criticism. The list is somewhat wonky. No doubting that. Any list that dose not have Planescape:Torment and Ico in the very top tier is suspect. But Rampage shouldn't be on the list out of nostalgia. That game doesn't hold up at all and wasn't as influential on game design as your Street Fighter or Space invaders were/are.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#1970 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

I dunno if that's a far criticism. The list is somewhat wonky. No doubting that. Any list that dose not have Planescape:Torment and Ico in the very top tier is suspect.

But Rampage shouldn't be on the list out of nostalgia. That game doesn't hold up at all and wasn't as influential on game design as your Street Fighter or Space invaders were/are.

I wasn't very clear in my original post...I just listed a bunch of arcade games off the top of my head that I personally played alot...not necessarily games that should be listed as the greatest ever. As fate would have it, I do think that Galaga and Defender are deserving...and possibly Gauntlet, but I'm not sure that even qualifies as one of the greatest ever (although it's the first 4 person co-op game I can remember).

My point was that the list omits tons of great games from the arcade genre. I have a feeling a lot of the editors spent more time with counsels than quarter machines. That's not a bad thing....but then the list should have been limited to counsels. Think of it this way, according to that list the six greatest arcade games of all time are:

(1) Ms. Pacman,
(2) Street Fighter
(3) Contra
(4) Space Invaders
(5) Star Wars
(6) Bionic Commando

One and two would be credible entries...but after that there's a pretty big dropoff in rationality.

#1971 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:12 PM

Well, It just may be that the editors do prefer console and PC games more than arcade games. Different generations, times and such. List could use more classic PC games and more arcade games, sure. I don't think they actively set out to omit those. Rather they voted for the games they felt were the best or most resonant- medium notwithstanding.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#1972 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

Well, It just may be that the editors do prefer console and PC games more than arcade games. Different generations, times and such.

I think that's probably what happened. 4 of those 6 arcade games (Street Fighter, Contra, Star Wars in its various incarnations, and Bionic Commando) also had a very strong console presence. To be honest...I never even knew Bionic Commando was an arcade game, I only knew its console incarnations.

Odd as it is, I think there's a pretty big divide between console and arcade gamers.

#1973 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

While obviously Street Fighter and Ms Pac Man deserve to be on there, (and i applaud them for using Ms Pac Man over Pac Man, due to the fact that it's obviously superior, and I wish they would've followed this with there other picks like Super Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros chosen over their infinitely better descendents.) and I could definitely see a case for Galaga, Arcades aren't as prominent as they used to be, Street Fighter became more or less as big of a success on console as it did arcade, and a lot of arcade games are really just designed to eat as many quarters from you as they can, such as the aforementioned Rampage. Which, yeah, Rampage is a pretty fun game, but it's more or less destroying a city over and over. Also, I'm pretty sure they're referring to the far superior console version of Contra(shittier graphics, but longer and harder). Not that the arcade version is bad or anything. There's all sorts of retarded about this list, most notably the exclusion of Earthbound and the unfathomably high placing of the original Dragon Warrior, or the fact that Resident Evil 1 is on it when it's a popular opinion that it's sequel was much better(and was recieved better at the time of it's release).
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1974 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

also wave race 64 doesn't deserve to be on any list whatsoever. When I think of great games that were left off due to it's inclusion it brings my piss to a boil. props for sam & max inclusion even though I liked Day Of The Tentacle more(and surprised they weren't retarded and picked Maniac Mansion or something).
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1975 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

Rampage is a terrible franchise, especially in modern iterations.

#1976 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

There's all sorts of retarded about this list, most notably the exclusion of Earthbound and the unfathomably high placing of the original Dragon Warrior, or the fact that Resident Evil 1 is on it when it's a popular opinion that it's sequel was much better(and was received better at the time of it's release).

This shit. For real.

When I saw Silent Hill 2's high placing alongside Sons Of Liberty, I cried.

#1977 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

I youtubed the "crazy colonel" scenes from MGS2 last night, still hilarious, replaying Earthbound right now, I just beat the second sanctuary, absurdly overleveled though thanks to ZSNES frame skip. Ness is like lv 25.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1978 jasperjones

jasperjones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

There's all sorts of retarded about this list, most notably the exclusion of Earthbound and the unfathomably high placing of the original Dragon Warrior, or the fact that Resident Evil 1 is on it when it's a popular opinion that it's sequel was much better(and was received better at the time of it's release).

This shit. For real.

When I saw Silent Hill 2's high placing alongside Sons Of Liberty, I cried.

this is why i don't read lists. the whole concept of 'all time' lists just boggles the mind. can't we just play a videogame, knowing that it's a great game. is that not enough? shit pisses me off. i remember g4 used to do that, and shenmue was pronounced one of the worst games. aww hell no, fuck you.

#1979 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

ah yeah where the fuck is shenmue, if i recall they gave the DC versions both pretty high grades
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1980 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

can't we just play a videogame, knowing that it's a great game. is that not enough?

NO.

I dream of the day I can contribute to such a highly controversial piece of miscellany and be compensated for it.