• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Origin

Origin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:28 AM

I start a new job in 3 weeks, one that entails waking up between 4:30 and 5am. For someone who usually rises at 8am, any suggestions to break my body in? I think I'm just going to start waking up at 5am starting now. I was overseas last year for vacation and it seemed to take about 5-6 days to get used to the 16 hour time difference. This is now where near as drastic. I'm just curious what any you do to in the following situation. Oh and I don't drink coffee. In fact I cut caffeine out of my diet years ago.

#2 without_opinion

without_opinion

Minister of Health

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:32 AM

make sure you start going to bed earlier -- this is usually the hardest part. getting your body to sleep earlier than it's used to is tough. after the first week of waking up early it'll be no problem, it's the first few days that are rough.
Music Is My Girlfriend (click for playlists) -- my brother's weekly radio show (new time!), Mondays, 2pm CST, out of Crested Butte, CO. Hear it at KBUT fm online

#3 zolacolby

zolacolby

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:38 AM

Early morning tip. Channel 9 has Andy Griffith at 4:30.
"Maybe I should follow you around and smartify everything you say." "in barlight she looked allright, in daylight she looked desperate." "I'm gonna shower in that shit"

#4 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:38 AM

It's the only sensible thing to do. Don't rely on a coffee "perk up" or anything like that, it will become a drug that you won't be able to live without.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#5 Jimmy TKB

Jimmy TKB

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6325 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

I feel for you my friend. About a month ago, I moved to a 6am start time, which means I am waking up at 4:30 am M-F. The best thing is to change your sleep schedule gradually. What is your normal bedtime? I would recommend going to bed 30 minutes earlier everyday until you get to that 9 or 9:30 bedtime and 4:30 5am wakeup. Also, no matter how tempting it is, do not take a nap after you wake up. Stay awake all day, feel the pain, and then go to bed at the set time. Stay away from booze if possible, that really messes up the sleeping schedule. And yes, you don't wanna become a caffiene freak, but perhaps a cup of tea in the afternoon would be fine to keep you awake for the day, and then the tea will bring you down a bit when it wears off so you can get to sleep.

#6 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

yeah, good luck. i had to do this for the whole summer when i was working stock at the Gap at 5/6 am. It was rough, but i was able to change over by just going to bed a little earlier every night. it sucked for the first few weeks, but after about three or so, i was able to wake up before the alarm went off for basically the rest of the summer. and definitely dont fall for the quick caffiene fixes. if you have a day where you miss one, let me tell you that day will be the worst of your life.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#7 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4764 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

The best thing is to change your sleep schedule gradually. What is your normal bedtime? I would recommend going to bed 30 minutes earlier everyday until you get to that 9 or 9:30 bedtime and 4:30 5am wakeup.

Also, no matter how tempting it is, do not take a nap after you wake up. Stay awake all day, feel the pain, and then go to bed at the set time. Stay away from booze if possible, that really messes up the sleeping schedule.

this is pretty much the same advice that i'd offer. it'll probably take awhile to fall asleep when you start going to bed earlier, but your body will adjust to it pretty quickly. as long as you're getting 6-7 hours of continuous sleep, you'll be fine.

#8 le chaton

le chaton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:28 PM

Oh and I don't drink coffee. In fact I cut caffeine out of my diet years ago.

good for you. that's quite a feat. (i personally do not value my life w/out coffee. decaf or otherwise.)

Also, no matter how tempting it is, do not take a nap after you wake up.

true. if you absolutely can't stand it, take a nap no longer than 15-25 mins. This will keep you out of the 3rd stage of sleep & thus prevent you from waking more tired than when you went to sleep (and should also have minimal impact on your sleep cycle the following evening). more on naps and sleep cycles

Try to maintain the same sleep schedule on your days off as well. This sucks for your social life, but at least in the beginning is v. imp in establishing a consistent routine. plus, it makes monday mornings much less painful.

best of luck! let us know how the new job turns out.
-k

#9 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:37 PM

i feel your pain sir. when i first moved to the city two yrs ago i was commuting out to libertyville for work. my start time varied from 5 to 5:30 am. i would have to get up at 3:30 which totally sucked.

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#10 Howard Rock

Howard Rock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

Don't drink coffee? What's wrong with you people? ;)

#11 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

I'd just have to deal with several tired nights until I could cope. I can never get to sleep when I want to; currently I'm finding myself getting to sleep between 4-6am, which is terrible (and not what I want). I got about 3-4 hours of sleep before class this morning, then came home and took a 2 1/2 hour nap. I wouldn't have been able to stay up if I'd wanted to.

#12 kilgore trout

kilgore trout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:10 PM

try jerking off around 9 pm. that usually makes me tired enough to fall asleep.
Posted Image

#13 rudayo

rudayo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:31 PM

All good advice. It takes three weeks for change to become routine. I would also advise against eating for at least 3 hours before bed so your body has time to digest and is not working so hard when you are tying to get to sleep.