1656 replies to this topic

#1201 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5826 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:16 AM

Jim's a dick. I liked that Kevin got some spotlight. That Five Families presentation was brilliantly read, and his moment of triumph was pretty cool.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#1202 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

Michael's a dick.

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#1203 Duff.

Duff.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5826 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

Yeah.....

murderfbanner.gif

#1204 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

"She's dead. As dead as any animal that has ever died".

Damned family issues made me miss 95% of this episode. Who's dead? :unsure:

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#1205 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

After weeks and weeks of bitching about how bad this show is, last night's episode finally restored my faith in the series 110%. it was easily the best episode of the season. Kevin stole the show for me with his rundown of the "five families." I hadn't laughed that much at that show in ages. Great montage of who they all are. And any excuse to bring Bob Vance in to the fold is good enough for me to smile. I have to say, though, that I still absolutely abhor Michael and Jim/Pam. Michael was fine and actually funny throughout most of the episode until the whole segment with Pam's landlord. I was so aggravated by that. Gargh! And Jim and Pam...I smell something bad coming soon for them. Or at least I hope. i just can't stand them as an entity. Individually, I am cool with them. But combined...ugh. Oh, and yeah, KMAC OTM with his assessment of Creed. Dude delivers the most consistently wonderful lines out of anyone.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#1206 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

...I have to say, though, that I still absolutely abhor Michael and Jim/Pam. ...

I don't understand how you can stand watching this show if you "abhor" the three major characters. :blink:

Jim and Pam are the cutest couple on TV that I can ever remember.

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

#1207 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:28 AM

...I have to say, though, that I still absolutely abhor Michael and Jim/Pam. ...

I don't understand how you can stand watching this show if you "abhor" the three major characters. :blink:

It's simple. The supporting cast is strong enough to make up for them.

And I don't hate Jim. And I don't hate Pam. I hate Pam and Jim. As soon as they are no longer an entity, the show will probably spike up in my book.

They are just an obnoxious television couple. Always so perky and happy and goo-goo-ga-ga. We get it, guys. You're happy. Please go back to being separate entities.

I much prefer how the UK version handled Tim and Dawn. Just sayin'...

#1208 Huckle

Huckle

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

The happier the Pam, the less funny the show. There's, like, algorithms and shit on that.
---------------------------------
Nobody knows I'm new wave

#1209 fffffffff

fffffffff

Rockist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7182 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

no, its easy to abhor them.

i'm with hd on this one. the rest of the cast more than makes up for what they take away from the show (think of how much "hype" and love they get as a force and what little creed, stanley, etc get. its bullshit). so snarky and smug and meh. the only time in the shows run where i was like, okay thats cute, was the shoe tying thing last night.

michael, on the other hand. you arent supposed to like him, so i guess that's fine. and every now and then you see a glimpse of humanity in him. hes written and played really well so in that respect i can enjoy him, knowing that my reaction to him is exactly what its supposed to be. but pam and jim. boo.

#1210 Duff.

Duff.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5826 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

The happier the Pam, the less funny the show. There's, like, algorithms and shit on that.

Something to that. Jim and Pam are there to be the sane ones, dealing with all the soul-crushing hassle and embarrassment of Dunder-Mifflin.

But I think the show has the balance where PB&J are each other bright spot in an otherwise lousy everyday, kinda like before they were dating.

They're not really that happy.

murderfbanner.gif

#1211 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:55 AM

michael, on the other hand. you arent supposed to like him, so i guess that's fine. and every now and then you see a glimpse of humanity in him. hes written and played really well so in that respect i can enjoy him, knowing that my reaction to him is exactly what its supposed to be. but pam and jim. boo.

That's another reason why I will continue to watch this show.

Michael is NOT supposed to be liked and his character does that perfectly. He's not a lovable boob. He's a downright asshole sometimes. But he also is human and that shines through sometimes and you can't help but smile and say "ok, he's not a bad guy" and makes you like him in some episodes (eg; the commercial episode).

I am conflicted with my feelings towards the writers of this show, honestly. On one hand, they are writing some things that are terribly predictable, such as the Jim/Pam storyarc. But on the other hand, I really believe they didn't create the story arc to appease fans, but more are just building that up so it comes crashing down in a heinous manner for all to see and experience. I really believe the writers sort of don't like Jim and Pam as a character couple and that they are going to do everything possible to build them up until they just crash down. I don't know if they will do it in a shocking manner or if they will show gradual chinks in their oh so flawless armor, though.

I see this all possibly happening based largely off of Jim last night.

Just you wait.

#1212 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

Actually, I'd base their relationship failing more off of Pam, as far as this week goes. After their first conversation about proposal, she had this kind of worried look on her face. And she didn't look happy at all when he started the joke proposal. But last week, with Jim trying to leave and not taking Pam with him, I'd say that also points to a collapse.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#1213 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

Actually, I'd base their relationship failing more off of Pam, as far as this week goes. After their first conversation about proposal, she had this kind of worried look on her face. And she didn't look happy at all when he started the joke proposal.

That's what I meant. I just meant that Jim's action would cause Pam's negative reaction which would lead to it.

#1214 Duff.

Duff.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5826 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

Not sure what's predicitable about the Jim and Pam storyline, how that would be fixed by a collapse (that you're predicting), or what the Jim and Pam storyline even is. Pam's being cautious, and reasonably so. I imagine a curveball or two will be thrown, particularly after that Jim aside ("a week after we started dating"), but I don't think there have been any real hints of trouble for the future.

murderfbanner.gif

#1215 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

Ah, the Sad Sack Nation speaks out again.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#1216 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

I still need this question answered before I have the time to go to nbc.com.

#1217 Duff.

Duff.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5826 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

Nobody, really.

murderfbanner.gif

#1218 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:38 AM

Not sure what's predicitable about the Jim and Pam storyline, how that would be fixed by a collapse (that you're predicting), or what the Jim and Pam storyline even is.

Pam's being cautious, and reasonably so. I imagine a curveball or two will be thrown, particularly after that Jim aside ("a week after we started dating"), but I don't think there have been any real hints of trouble for the future.

I agree she's being cautious and rightfully so after the Roy fiasco. But basically what I'm seeing happening will be Jim in the next few episodes proposes to Pam. Pam thinks it over for an episode and inevitably declines. This leads to Jim leaving the office and starring in his own wacky spinoff.

I mean, they are promising a spin-off but, as far as I know, haven't said who. There's enough time in the season for this to play out and come fall, see Jim Halpert starring in "According to Jim (Halpert)." A show that I would genuinely watch because I think Jim is a good character.

And I guess that it feels "predictable" in a sense that when the Office started up, it was a break from the "norm" of television here in the US. It was wity, it featured a strong main and supporting cast (which is terribly rare), it was actually relateable in a lot of ways when it comes to work environments. And there was that sort of unique story arc in that Jim wanted Pam but Pam was engaged and they had to see each other every day. It's more suited to be a movie storyline. Not a television storyline.

The tension between the characters made it interesting and people could pretty much sympathize with Jim in the sense that he was trying, but getting nowhere. And he was a genuinely nice guy stuck in a go-nowhere career. Everything about Jim's character was downright likable. When Roy accosted him that one episode, it was good television. You were left wondering what would happen. Where would this all go.

But then they went the "ok, let's stop with this tension and just throw them together" route, and it sort of sucked a lot of my favorite aspects of the show right out of there. I think they should have at least spent more time developing Jim and Karen and their trials and tribulations with a newly single Pam around instead of just sort of tossing it away rather quickly. It felt like a cop-out to me. It just felt like they were pandering to the masses, which I understand the need in doing. I guess I just expected a little more. And now that they are together, I find them just, for the lack of better words, uninteresting. They have just evolved in to two people whose goals/dreams/aspirations have sort of vanished and now they are in their own world.

That probably made no sense. It does in my head. I'm just not typing it out well today.

Ah, the Sad Sack Nation speaks out again.

yeah, that's me i guess.....(?)

I still need this question answered before I have the time to go to nbc.com.

if you can watch the episode, do so. it will be a lot funnier than someone telling you.

srsly

#1219 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6367 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

I thought PB&J were great last night, but I was reminded of how much I miss Roy. Remember him smashing bottles at a bar over Jim? Good times. As it happens, I put on a movie last night that I need to watch for this film festival jury and the actor that played Roy was in it. weird coincidence. Did anyone else notice that Craig Robinson is doing standup here soon?

#1220 Duff.

Duff.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5826 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:03 AM

Not sure what's predicitable about the Jim and Pam storyline, how that would be fixed by a collapse (that you're predicting), or what the Jim and Pam storyline even is.

Pam's being cautious, and reasonably so. I imagine a curveball or two will be thrown, particularly after that Jim aside ("a week after we started dating"), but I don't think there have been any real hints of trouble for the future.

I agree she's being cautious and rightfully so after the Roy fiasco. But basically what I'm seeing happening will be Jim in the next few episodes proposes to Pam. Pam thinks it over for an episode and inevitably declines. This leads to Jim leaving the office and starring in his own wacky spinoff.

I mean, they are promising a spin-off but, as far as I know, haven't said who. There's enough time in the season for this to play out and come fall, see Jim Halpert starring in "According to Jim (Halpert)." A show that I would genuinely watch because I think Jim is a good character.

And I guess that it feels "predictable" in a sense that when the Office started up, it was a break from the "norm" of television here in the US. It was wity, it featured a strong main and supporting cast (which is terribly rare), it was actually relateable in a lot of ways when it comes to work environments. And there was that sort of unique story arc in that Jim wanted Pam but Pam was engaged and they had to see each other every day. It's more suited to be a movie storyline. Not a television storyline.

The tension between the characters made it interesting and people could pretty much sympathize with Jim in the sense that he was trying, but getting nowhere. And he was a genuinely nice guy stuck in a go-nowhere career. Everything about Jim's character was downright likable. When Roy accosted him that one episode, it was good television. You were left wondering what would happen. Where would this all go.

But then they went the "ok, let's stop with this tension and just throw them together" route, and it sort of sucked a lot of my favorite aspects of the show right out of there. I think they should have at least spent more time developing Jim and Karen and their trials and tribulations with a newly single Pam around instead of just sort of tossing it away rather quickly. It felt like a cop-out to me. It just felt like they were pandering to the masses, which I understand the need in doing. I guess I just expected a little more. And now that they are together, I find them just, for the lack of better words, uninteresting. They have just evolved in to two people whose goals/dreams/aspirations have sort of vanished and now they are in their own world.

That probably made no sense. It does in my head. I'm just not typing it out well today.

Nah, it makes sense.

I have to disagree with the pandering, though. I feel like stretching out the tension any further would've been false and only to keep viewers interested.

I can understand how the tension being gone makes it less interesting, and to an extent you're right. I'm doubtful According to Jim Halpert will happen (love the title, though), and if it does, THAT would certainly be unpredictable. But for me, nothing about Jim's crush was anything fresh or new or anything, just two likable characters/actors facing the gauntlet, I guess, and I think they still have that (though not as well as in previous seasons).

I dunno.

murderfbanner.gif