Photo

Sloan is better than everyone: a short essay.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:42 AM

I really like Sloan. I offer no proof or argument for my claim, feeling that it is strong enough to stand on its own, inherent merits. However, if I find this thread to be a popular one amongst the chaps, I am prepared to unleash a volley of their works in y'all send the thing form. And scorch the very earth below the feet of the neighsayers.
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#2 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:44 AM

yeah, i love sloan too. except i really hate the last 2 albums save for a few chris murphy songs...

Posted Image

#3 animals and men

animals and men

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:45 AM

She was underwhelmed, if that's a word I know it's not, 'cause I looked it up That's one of those skills that I learned in my school I was overwhelmed, and I'm sure of that one 'cause I learned it back in grade school When I was young She said, "You is funny" I said, "You are funny" She said, "Thank you" and I said, "Nevermind" She rolled her eyes Her beautiful eyes The point is not the grammar It's the feeling That is certainly in my heart But not in hers But not in hers But not in hers But not in hers But not in hers We were talkin' about people that eat meat I felt like an ass 'cause I was one She said, "It's okay," but I felt like I just ate my young She is obviously a person with a cause I told her that I don't smoke or drink She told me to loosen up on her way to the L.C. She skips her classes and gets good grades I go to my courses rain or shine She's passin' her classes while I attend mine While I attend mine While I attend mine While I attend mine While I attend She wrote out a story about her life I think it included something about me I'm not sure of that but I'm sure of one thing Her spelling's atrocious She told me to read between the lines And tell her exactly what I got out of it I told her affection had two F's Especially when you're dealing with me I usually notice all the little things One time I was proud of it, she says it's annoying She cursed me up and down and rolled her R's, her beautiful R's She says I'm caught up in triviality All I really wanna know is what she thinks of me I think my love for her makes me miss the point I miss the point, I miss the point I miss the point, I miss the point I miss the point, I miss the point I miss the point, Hey mister Take that as you like.

#4 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:49 AM

I dont HATE the last two, I just dont love them so much. I originally wrote Sloan off because of "Underwhelmed" That summer in 93 there were lots of disposable alt rock hits from Dig (Christ they were awful), Starclub ("Hard to Get" was actually kinda good), Dada (Christ THEY were awful) and so on. I originally lumped Sloan in with all that stuff. I almost missed out on THe Posies for the same reason. There was just so much crap floating around.
For the world.

#5 animals and men

animals and men

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:51 AM

I originally wrote Sloan off because of "Underwhelmed"

Maybe it's a problem that that's the first track on A Sides Win, which was my introduction to them.

#6 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:58 AM

i was living in London, Ontario when Smeared came out. my room-mate's band opened up for sloan at this place called The Electric Banana. they almost slept on our floor.

#7 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:28 AM

my room-mate's band opened up for sloan at this place called The Electric Banana.

Marty DiBergi?

Is that you?
For the world.

#8 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:35 AM

Sloan could do no wrong right up until Navy Blues. The stuff after that has been decent, but they've become a touch too repetitive and predictable.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Johnny 5

Johnny 5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:59 AM

Sloan is the bee's knees. Oh yes!

Every once in a while I listen to "The Good In Everyone" on repeat...or the whole of "Twice Removed", which has some of the best lyrics ever:

"If I drink concentrated OJ,
can I think Consolidated's OK?
It's not the band I hate, it's their fans...
three cans of water perverts me."

;)

Are they coming back to town this summer? Their show at Double Door last year was amazing, and really made a convert out of me. I still want to visit Halifax...

#10 Seamus

Seamus

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5301 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:36 AM

I originally wrote Sloan off because of "Underwhelmed"

Ha, funny, that's the song that hooked me. I saw the video on JBTV while home from college over the summer and rushed right out to buy the, uh, cassette(!). That Smeared album is all about "500 Up" for me though.

I'm not quite as big on these guys as simakos but, yeah, Sloan's been known to own.

#11 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

If this thread doesn't bring forgo/aneg back to somb, nothing will.

#12 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

SOMB is dead. long live SOMB.

#13 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:53 AM

yeah, what's the deal? where did she go?

#14 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

1. one chord to another
2. navy blues
3. twice removed
4. never hear the end of it
5. smeared
6. between the bridges
7. pretty together
8. action pact

okay, now you try!

#15 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:22 AM

Well, I can only do the ones I've heard so yeah... 1. Navy Blues 2. Twice Removed 3. Between the Bridges 4. Never Hear the End of It - Yeah, that's all I have (and A-Sides), so upload the other albums pls. - The new one may climb in the rankings, only heard it once so far.
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#16 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:23 AM

1. one chord to another
2. navy blues
3. twice removed
5. smeared
6. between the bridges
7. pretty together
8. action pact

okay, now you try!

No, you nailed it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:26 AM

1. one chord to another
2. navy blues
3. twice removed
5. smeared
6. between the bridges
7. pretty together
8. action pact

okay, now you try!

No, you nailed it.

nice! i love when sask agrees with me... :D

#18 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

It's not the band I hate--it's their fans.

[ok, now you post your favorite Sloan lyrics. ;) ]
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#19 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

I haven't heard the whole catalog, but in what universe is Smeared better than Pretty Together? Y'all so craaazy!

#20 thrillho

thrillho

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4357 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:56 AM

how is it that i always miss the sloan threads and i am not the one starting them? this board surprises me each and every day... annnyway, it's hard to rank sloan albums, i love them all so so much, but here is how i am feeling today: 1. one chord to another 2. navy blues 3. action pact (i know, i know, but im emotionally attached to this album) 4. between the bridges 5. twice removed 6. pretty together 7. smeared i cant yet rate 'never hear the end of it' because i'm still in the honeymoon "THIS IS THE BEST ALBUM EVER" phase. i suspect itll be between 'btb' and 'twice removed', though.