78 replies to this topic

#1 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

Does anyone have a YSI of this they can throw up? A friend of mine borrowed my copy of it a year or two ago and never gave it back.

For people who aren't familiar with this, it's a floating CD-R (started I believe by AMG writer / ILM regular / DI obsessive Ned Raggett) of five EPs released over the course of five years by early/mid-90s post-rock band Disco Inferno. DI released three full-length albums in their career (the most famous of which is the fairly acclaimed D.I. Go Pop) but in my opinion, none of them even come close to the brilliance of these EPs, which feature some of the most mind-bending and awe-inspiring music of the last 20 years. If it was elligible for the '85 - '94 poll (which it isn't), it would have a strong fucking shot at my #1.

So yeah, anyone? Would be much appreciated.
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#2 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:43 PM

I have them all in iTunes format if that works. Probably won't be able to up it until the weekend though. If no one does it by then I will.
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#3 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

Before anyone bitches about iTunes format, there's a Winamp plug-in which plays m4a files.

#4 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

I just have a burned cd, not the mp3s. This is arguably one of the best homemade compilations ever.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:52 PM

hm, looks like I found it on soulseek. I'll up it when I can for others. In the meantime we should talk about how amazing this is.

#6 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

I want to hear this.

D.I. Go Pop is the only music I've ever heard that doesn't even remind me of music. I don't really know what that means. Whenever I listen to the album it doesn't feel like I'm listening to anything.

I don't know. Good band.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#7 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

Disco Inferno, along with maybe A.R. Kane, are the only band I feel comfortable referring to as "post-rock," because they seem to actually exist in a universe in which rock is no longer a viable concern.

D.I. Go Pop is good but it barely even covers a fraction of the amazing sounds on the EPs.

#8 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

Bill, I thought you hated "Summer's Last Sound" & "Second Language". I vaguely recall an argument over "Second Language" vs. "It's A Kid's World". Forgive me if I am confusing you with someone else. It was quite a while ago.

p.s. or was it the 'last dance' you disliked? maybe it was raj who said all those silly things. "raj".

#9 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

Bill, I thought you hated "Summer's Last Sound" & "Second Language". I vaguely recall an argument over "Second Language" vs. "It's A Kid's World". Forgive me if I am confusing you with someone else. It was quite a while ago.

p.s. or was it the 'last dance' you disliked? maybe it was raj who said all those silly things. "raj".

I don't hate any song Disco Inferno ever did, I just think "Second Language" is a U2 song. Now I like U2 and it's a good U2 song, but it's still a fucking U2 song. "It's a Kid's World" is much better. "Summer's Last Sound" is great.

"The Last Dance" (or "The Long Dance," which I think is better) is one of the best songs of the 90s.

#10 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

Best songs off of these bad boys: "The Last Dance"/"The Long Dance" "It's A Kid's World" "DI Go Pop" "Summer's Last Sound" Those are all flat-out classics. Some of the best, most forward-thinking music of the 90s (or ever, really.) Truly "progressive" music. I mean "progressive" in the sense that This Heat and Faust were progressive; just so ambitious and unconventional. Fucking brilliant.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#11 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:32 PM

agreed with those, but I'd swap "Summer's Last Sound" for "Love Stepping Out". "A Rock to Cling To" (or, whatever the song is that uses the phrase "A Rock to Cling To") is great too.

#12 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:37 PM

Yes, "Love's Stepping Out." Very good. Summer's Last Sound and The Last Dance are definitely my two favorite EPs. It's hard for me to really determine which one is better.

"From the Devil to the Deep Blue Sea" is another favorite. It actually sort of rocks.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

#13 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

"From the Devil to the Deep Blue Sea" is another favorite. It actually sort of rocks.

that's the one. Although no one knows if that and the b-side actually had the titles mixed up or not.

#14 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

Isn't A Rock To Cling To the title of the EP, though? Or is that part of the mystery?

Also, does anyone actually like Technicolor or Open Windows, Closed Doors? I never hear those records talked about. Are they really that unremarkable?
Posted Image

#15 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

yeah, I dunno.

I've only listened to Technicolor once. I have OWCD as part of In Debt, an early-years collection. There are some really good songs--"Emigre," "Waking Up," "Entertainment," a couple others--but it's all kinda soundalike, hard to excited about when The Five EPs exists.

#16 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

I've never heard of this band. I'm extremely intrigued

#17 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

I still can't find this. Paves, wanna help out?

#18 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

Alright, I'll upload these fellas. I encourage anyone who hasn't heard them to download them! You can't really buy them anywhere. This is a purely CD-R/internet downloady thing. I don't mind offering them to you. Honestly!

If these kinds of things appeal to you...

"Some of the best, most forward-thinking music of the 90s (or ever, really.) Truly 'progressive' music."

"[S]ome of the most mind-bending and awe-inspiring music of the last 20 years."

...then download these fuckers. You won't be disappointed. If you are, you're a dumb shit and that's sad, really.
Posted Image

#19 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

Sask wrote a good review of them for PopMatters. I think it was D.I. Go Pop he was reviewing, but if I remember correctly he spends a lot of the time just talking about how aweosme The Five EPs are.

There we go, second paragraph from the bottom

#20 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

Paves and Bill pretty much covered anything I had to say but yeah, this band and the EPs in particular are genius. I would sell my first born for vinyl copies of them.