• Please log in to reply
6385 replies to this topic

#3961 n-infusino

n-infusino

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

Today will be a good day. Picking up the new Meshuggah at Rasputin's on the way home, and then heading over to San Fran to see Murder by Death and Clutch at Slims.

What can y'all tell me about Murder by Death?

I saw them open for Mastodon way back when...the lead singer licked some fat guy in the audience with a bowler hat.

Also, the guitarist had a total cholo thing going on.

Music was kind of meh.

#3962 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:36 PM

metal used to be confined to Brandon's (excellent) Show No Mercy column.

Pitchfork's reviewed more metal albums than people think. But with Cosmo Lee joining, that might increase a little bit...his addition brings the site instant credibility in the metal department, in my opinion.

The column needs an editor, it tries way too hard to be thorough. That's the toughest thing about having carte blanche, you just want to cover everything. It took a while for me to realize that it's just impossible to cover everything yourself.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3963 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

Sask- I am hearing right that Maiden is faithfully recreating both the set and setlist of Live After Death for the current tour, with the full Egyptian Powerslave set and all those amazing tunes?

If so I'm going, even though Concord has a fucking mono sound system.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#3964 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

Sask- I am hearing right that Maiden is faithfully recreating both the set and setlist of Live After Death for the current tour, with the full Egyptian Powerslave set and all those amazing tunes?

They're playing exclusively 80-86 material (though the inclusion of
Spoiler
is kind of silly), and yeah, the setlist is incredible. Still waiting for those second leg dates to be confirmed, but it appears they are hitting the Canadian prairies in June, so I'll definitely be seeing them somewhere.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3965 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:57 PM

This ranks right up there with Venom's legendary recording...

Chris Barnes & Cannibal Corpse stage banter...

:lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3966 pigfuck

pigfuck

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1853 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

Looking for obZen on vinyl and found this:

http://www.golfrecor...black/index.htm

anyone know anything about this label?
make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have an automobile race

#3967 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10081 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

If so I'm going, even though Concord has a fucking mono sound system.

Sound is better there better than @ Shoreline.

#3968 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

Spoiler
is kind of silly),

have to say: live after death + spoilersong = fantasy world for me

it's not like they developed much after '86 anyway ;)

re: back on black, I have noticed that site before but have always been a tad suspicious...

Posted Image

#3969 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

Get this, KFC in Canada has a black metal-themed ad campaign:

http://www.kfc.ca/ho...nch_contest.php

Saw the ad last night, and today the Deciblog picked up on it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3970 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:50 PM

That may be the greatest thing I've ever seen. And I'm not saying that because I live in Kentucky.

#3971 swede

swede

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Spoiler
is kind of silly), and yeah, the setlist is incredible. Still waiting for those second leg dates to be confirmed, but it appears they are hitting the Canadian prairies in June, so I'll definitely be seeing them somewhere.

am i the only one that loved that record....
i thought it was great.
and also really loved "tattoed millionaire".
do i lose SAOMB cred for that?

#3972 Backslash M Forwardslash

Backslash M Forwardslash

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

Here is an album from Light Pupil Dilate. Just discovered these guys, but they're pretty cool. I'm having trouble finding a copy of their newest album. If anyone finds it, please upload it.

For fans of Baroness, Mastodon, Kylessa, and any other big Savannah names (without sounding too much like any of the aforementioned bands)

Light Pupil Dilate - Cascades

#3973 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

i thought it was great.

I still like Tattooed Millionaire after all these years, but I still can't stand Fear of the Dark. "Be Quick or Be Dead" is killer, but the rest is on autopilot. As good a live song the title track is, it's Steve Harris at his most self-parodical.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3974 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:57 AM

Argh, is the new Lair of the Minotaur ever good. I can't stop playing "Assassins of the Cursed Mist"... Year-end list contender, this one. And KILLER artwork!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3975 throughsilver

throughsilver

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:25 AM

i thought it was great.

I still like Tattooed Millionaire after all these years, but I still can't stand Fear of the Dark. "Be Quick or Be Dead" is killer, but the rest is on autopilot. As good a live song the title track is, it's Steve Harris at his most self-parodical.

confession: while i don't like the album as a whole, i love the title track and... judas be my guide*

and be quick or be dead

* probably the most heroic dickonson chorus outside tears of the dragon

Posted Image

#3976 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

After picking up obZen yesterday and listening to it four times straight, I think I'm prepared to say this is Meshuggah's best record. Off the charts good. "Combustion," "Bleed" and "Dancers to a Discordant System" are all incredible. And Haake's drumming throught this thing is a tour de force. He has claimed the mantle of best bass kick drummer from Slayer's Dave Lombardo. The sounds coming off the kick in "Bleed" are inhuman. I don't know how one man can produce such boom. He's a machine.

There was a lot of talk, in interviews with Maynard prior to the release of 10,000 Days, of Meshuggah's influence on Tool. I don't hear that so much in Tool, but I must say that I do hear some Tool in obZen, particularly in "Combustion" and "Electric Red." I think this is a good thing. I generally think Tool should sound more like Meshuggah and Meshuggah should sound more like Tool.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#3977 throughsilver

throughsilver

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

i think tool have been sounding more like meshuggah since they started associating (post aenima, then). not to any massive degree, as that'd jeopardise their identity, but enough to notice. over the albums they have been getting less and less melody-orientated, and increasingly rhythmically based in their arrangements. even the vox are more percussive and off kilter than their more melodic-metal first two albums. i'd venture that's a definite meshuggah influence, though your measures may vary

'stinkfist' compared with 'the grudge', or
'jimmy' with 'rosetta stoned' etc

obviously they will keep the melodic stuff somewhere, as that is essentially their trademark, but such songs are becoming conspicuous by their presence (i.e. 'right in two'). if tool sounded more like meshuggah, they'd run the risk of being meshuggah-usa

Posted Image

#3978 Ted Falconi

Ted Falconi

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

Argh, is the new Lair of the Minotaur ever good. I can't stop playing "Assassins of the Cursed Mist"...

Year-end list contender, this one. And KILLER artwork!

I really liked the first album, and I know I've missed at least one after that. So I'm at least two behind on these guys.
Not a bad place to be.

re: Murder By Death -
I like em. They're a band that progressed from this kindof Anticoch Arrow-ish hardcore-informed 'chamber punk' type band into a dark and heavy faux-gothic Tindersticks/Bad Seeds type band. On the quiet side, but nice and tense, and they have an obsucurantist humorous element that keeps the whole thing in a, uh, realistic perspective (band name comes from a Peter Sellers movie if I'm not mistaken). I haven't heard it yet, but the Onion says their new album is not as good as the last couple - it's their first on vagrant fwiw - so If you like what you see and hear, I'd try 'Like the Exorcist But With More Breakdancing' or 'Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them' first. Or the new one, maybe it's good!! Probably a better opener than a lesser, similar act for a band like Clutch as the contrast is sure to be stark.
Not metal, but may appeal to metal people.

#3979 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

I agree, Tool and Meshuggah have definitely seemed symbiotic in recent years. "Jambi" is the one Tool tune that I think bears the biggest similarity to Meshuggah, and yeah, that riff on "Combustion" is a total Adam Jones homage.

obZen is truly great. It's interesting how it's the first Meshuggah disc in many years (or perhaps ever) to not try anything particularly polarizing or bold...they just play to their strengths, incorporate styles spanning their entire career, and hammer out the music. Not so much groundbreaking, but extremely refined. Everything is spot-on, the production as perfect as I've ever heard. Though the big sylistic difference between this one and Catch 33 and Nothing is that the rhythm riffs are far less melodic, focusing more on the physicality of the sound. I can see this being in the top three on my Decibel year-end ballot come the fall. (top slot reserved for Opeth...or will it be Nachtmystium?)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3980 Umberto Eco The Dolphin

Umberto Eco The Dolphin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

Spoiler

i thought it was great.

Tattooed Millionaire is a very good album. Of course, the Roy Z Bruce albums make me glad that he left Maiden for a spell, because sometimes they make me cry they are so good. You lose no cred. TM is also, for better or worse, where Jannick Gers came into the Maiden family. It is oddly AC/DC derivative, but it rocks well.
Posted Image