• Please log in to reply
6385 replies to this topic

#4061 Backslash M Forwardslash

Backslash M Forwardslash

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

Anybody ever listen to KEN Mode? Heavy, technical, and loud. They're on tour with Taint right now. Plus they have a new album coming out in May, which is always nice.

KEN Mode - Reprisal

KEN Mode - Myspace

#4062 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

Haha, just read the entry. What munch of morons. They were onto a good thing as well. Way to fuck it all up.

#4063 swede

swede

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

ive seen a lot of hype about The Black Tide...any comments? from clips, they sound like old metallica..

#4064 Backslash M Forwardslash

Backslash M Forwardslash

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

ive seen a lot of hype about The Black Tide...any comments?
from clips, they sound like old metallica..

I'm probably gonna be kicked off of the board for saying it, but I've never cared for Metallica........

#4065 dirty hippie

dirty hippie

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2486 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

i've never cared for metallica much either. but god damn, that new sword album is pretty good.

#4066 swede

swede

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

I'm probably gonna be kicked off of the board for saying it, but I've never cared for Metallica........

i liked them when i was in high school, but in later years abandoned most of my affection for them...

their live shows are a knucklehead magnet.

#4067 Backslash M Forwardslash

Backslash M Forwardslash

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

i've never cared for metallica much either.

but god damn, that new sword album is pretty good.

I've been meaning to check out The Sword for awhile..... should I get Age of Winters or the new one?

While we're on the retro/sabbath inspired topic, I've really been enjoying this one. Sweden kicks ass.

Graveyard - s/t

Graveyard Myspace

#4068 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

Black Tide is awful, just awful. The 14 year old kid had the chops plus a good voice, but once you get past the single, holy crap is it ever inept. Like a high school band that's in way over their heads.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4069 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

LOL @ "never caring much for Metallica." C'mon, kids. If you can't find something in those first four records to care for, your metal credentials are pretty suspect
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#4070 swede

swede

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:08 AM

LOL @ "never caring much for Metallica." C'mon, kids. If you can't find something in those first four records to care for, your metal credentials are pretty suspect

true..i guess their later years have tainted my views...guess i lost interest after the black album...

#4071 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:35 AM

I didn't just lose interest after TBA, I was pissed at hell with TBA. I've given up on them, but yeah pre-TBA they were great. That album ended it for me, though. Not only did they ruin themselves, but they took a bunch of other bands down with them. Mustaine decided to start writing crappy one-riff songs...until their last 2 albums, I had complete given up on Megadeth, too, and I remember the exact moment - when I first heard Foreclosure of a Dream, and there's that start of what used to be a great thrash part in the middle, except in this song, Mustaine ended it before it began. At that moment, I was done with them. And Hetfield had a huge influence on Wells and Marshall in Metal Church, and they went from the underrated Blessing in Disguise to the solid but TBA-influenced and not so spectacular HU=uman Factor. And then COC abandoned what they did on Blind and went on the hunt for their inner Lynyrd Skynyrd-meets-TBA sound. Blech. I blame it all on Metallica.

#4072 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

word, though i'm definitely more of an 'albums 2-5' man

prefer 6 to 1 in fact, but that's for another time. another galaxy far far away ;)

Posted Image

#4073 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

I went and saw Baroness last night and was blown away. They sounded so much heavier than they do on the album. Baizley is a great frontman. Do not miss them if they come your way.

#4074 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

So I'm lurking the board at metal-archives.com (a board I won't post on as I'd totally be laughed out of there since I'm not nearly "kvlt" enough and Opeth is one of my favorite bands).

Anyway, here's an amusing In Flames hate thread:

http://www.metal-arc...o...asc&start=0

These guys make it sound like IF are all over the radio and MTV, touring with Fall Out Boy, and selling t-shirts to every emo teenager in the mall or something. Or like they've made some Black Album-sized leap into the mainstream (to get back to an earlier discussion). Get some perspective, folks.

And, yes, the thread was started before the leak ... most of the earlier pages (I got through two) are guys condemning the album for its artwork alone.

For the record, the record is OK. I need to give it more spins, but Sask is right: there's nothing as grabbing on this one as their last three "post-sellout" albums ... no "Take This Life," "Dead End," "Come Clarity," "The Quiet Place" or "Trigger," but its still decent, if you like that sound (I do, obviously!).

#4075 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

prefer 6 to 1 in fact, but that's for another time. another galaxy far far away ;)

Am understanding you to make the preposterous assertion that Load is better than Kill Em' All???!!!??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Nigga plz.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#4076 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

not at all preposterous, my man. load is quite clearly better than kill 'em all (an album over-rated in every year that has come after 1983 due to its sounding fresh at the time; most of it sounds less fresh in 2008 than iron maiden and rainbow, bands the thrash movement was ostented to 'replace')

if i was a decade older i am sure i would love the debut - and think load was the sound of emasculated selling out - but then i'd be wrong. i would probably also prefer big black to dave lee roth

Posted Image

#4077 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

I need to listen to more Metallica albums. Kill em' all, Puppets, and Black are the only albums I'm properly familliar with. Think I've heard RtL 2-3 times back in school. Heard bit's of their newer stuff but I've never been compelled to get anything else from them. Am I really missing out or have I basically got my bases covered with this one?

#4078 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

not at all preposterous, my man. load is quite clearly better than kill 'em all (an album over-rated in every year that has come after 1983 due to its sounding fresh at the time; most of it sounds less fresh in 2008 than iron maiden and rainbow, bands the thrash movement was ostented to 'replace')

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kill 'Em All is the template for all great metal music (though I'm admittedly not much of a metalhead at all), and the best thing Metallica ever did.
^_^

#4079 Soundscape

Soundscape

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

anyone know a Brutal Finnish Black/Death band called "Gloria Morti"?

http://www.myspace.com/gloriamorti

#4080 Mushroom Festival In Hell

Mushroom Festival In Hell

Neophyte

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:09 AM

I need to listen to more Metallica albums. Kill em' all, Puppets, and Black are the only albums I'm properly familliar with. Think I've heard RtL 2-3 times back in school. Heard bit's of their newer stuff but I've never been compelled to get anything else from them. Am I really missing out or have I basically got my bases covered with this one?

You need to check out ...And Justice For All