6385 replies to this topic

#501 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:18 PM

I'm y'all send the thing'ing my mom some symphonic metal (no, I'm not kidding), so I figure there are still a few downloads in these links. Take 'em if you want 'em:

Edenbridge - The Grand Design
hxxp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C579EC3D0FBC7145

Savatage - Dead Winter Dead
hxxp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=522981E822D4825A

Venin Noir - In Pieces of the Lunar Soil
hxxp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=6DC0DD397969F8A2

Hmm, just might.

here's the second half of the Scar Symmetry:
hxxp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F3C5CE012CB8AE7D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#502 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

A quick reminder to all that this DVD is out today:

Posted Image

Excellent, well-researched, scholarly documentary, done by a Canadian guy who knows his stuff. Terrific interviews, loads of extras, lots of creepy Norwegians, and great music. Hope to watch all the extras tonight.

edit: Chuck Klosterman is hilarious in this film. Only he would appear in a serious metal documentary and start quoting Kiss's "Crazy Crazy Nights"...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#503 beansimpson

beansimpson

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1568 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

Thanks!

I'm y'all send the thing'ing my mom some symphonic metal (no, I'm not kidding), so I figure there are still a few downloads in these links. Take 'em if you want 'em:

Edenbridge - The Grand Design
hxxp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C579EC3D0FBC7145

Savatage - Dead Winter Dead
hxxp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=522981E822D4825A

Venin Noir - In Pieces of the Lunar Soil
hxxp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=6DC0DD397969F8A2

Have and enjoy the Savatage, but will check out the other ones.

On a side note, I've been on the biggest Helloween kick this past week, and although the band might say "I want out" I sure don't!
Iguchi-2 hits, 5 at bats, 7 RBI's. 6/25/06
Bean's favorite (not necessarely best) videos.

Run to the Hills-Holy Diver- DIO!-David Hasselhoff: Hooked on a Feeling -Sixteen Military Wives - The Decemberists -Judas Priest-Turbo Lover -Alice Cooper-Poison
"I'm so confused. In times of war, should I support the troops or the president?"-Neil Dawson, Farmworker

"Man, all the troops do these days is bitch, bitch, die unnecessarily, and bitch."-Heidi Williamson, Teacher

"What is up with boca burgers? I mean, for real, if you're all anti-meat because you think it's cruel and akin to murder, why do you make all your food look just like the damn thing? I mean, do you walk around with your peace gun or burn a cross for tolerance? I don't think so."-Ben

#504 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

Did anyone see the first part of "Heavy: The Story of Metal" last night of VH1? I'm slowly getting into more metal stuff and I found it pretty interesting. There are three more parts at 8 tonight, Wednesday, and Thursday, and I'm sure that they'll be repeated.

#505 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:07 AM

I've heard Scar Symmetry's Calculate the Apocalypse twice in two days on XM's Liquid Metal channel. Pretty Cool. It was even introduced with a "new metal" tag. The more I listen to it, the more it sounds like a death metal version of The Devin Townsend Band. Which is a good thing! This is it for me posting for a week or so. We're moving and I'm pulling the plug on the computer later today. See ya on the flipside!

#506 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

Posted Image

So the best metal album of the first half of 2006 is out...anyone else get it? The digipak version looks amazing (I have the jewel case version). And the liner notes by Fischer and Ain are excellent, offering detailed, and often typically enigmatic, explanations of each track.

It's so great to finally hear this album without the bleeps!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#507 Rocks And Blows

Rocks And Blows

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:03 PM

I saw Russian Circles the other week and I'm starting to get into Metal, math rock or whatever people call it. All I really know that I like is Pelican and Russian Circles, I've heard of Isis and Boris, does anyone have any suggestions or could you (you send something) from one of the aforementioned bands. And if there is anything like Pelican but has shorter songs and has a crazy bass player, I would appreciate the suggestion.

#508 WesterMats

WesterMats

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3045 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

Did anyone see the first part of "Heavy: The Story of Metal" last night of VH1? I'm slowly getting into more metal stuff and I found it pretty interesting. There are three more parts at 8 tonight, Wednesday, and Thursday, and I'm sure that they'll be repeated.

It's also being shown on VH1 Classic -- I've seen all four parts. They're all pretty similar, with a focus on mainstream metal of whichever chronology.

Having said that, I had intended to clean house when it was on, but instead was glued to tv.
"I forgot my one line, so I just said what I felt"
--Paul Westerberg

Posted Image

#509 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:35 PM

New Strapping Young Lad!

"You Suck"

It's typically wacky. In a very good way.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#510 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

It's also being shown on VH1 Classic -- I've seen all four parts. They're all pretty similar, with a focus on mainstream metal of whichever chronology.

Having said that, I had intended to clean house when it was on, but instead was glued to tv.

Worse than that it seems like the producers only collected quotes that mention how influential the bands that they're focusing are. It's a "Revisionist Story of Metal" instead of a real Story of Metal. I can understand that they only had 4 hours to fit it all in, but they left out or glossed over major bands and influences and no one mentioned them? Not even in passing "Oh, I like this band, too..."

They could've cut Marilyn Manson's section in half & added more Motorhead or Speed/Death/Thrash/Black Metal.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#511 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:28 PM

Those of you on Oink, go download the new Agalloch album! This thing is unreal. Rarely does a metal album elicit the adjective "gorgeous" the way this one does. As far as teaser tracks go, this one's a stunner:

"Falling Snow"

RIYL: Pelican, Isis, Emperor, Ulver
Posted Image
Posted Image

#512 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

That Agalloch song is pretty good, dl'ing the album now. Also, the new Envy just leaked if anyone cares. It's one of my most anticipated albums of the year, can't wait to listen to it.

#513 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

may as well y'all send the thing this now that I think about it. A 95 release. Don't know much about it really, except that it's a side project from the guy from Satyricon. But it's not black metal, it's ambient/classical in a black metal vein. Really no guitar, mostly synth, percussion and vocal singing. Give it a try.

Wongraven -- Fjelltronen
Posted Image
hxxp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=EF2F8EF54E7BD656

#514 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the Wongraven...it should be interesting.

The new Between the Buried and Me covers album has leaked...I normally find it hard to get excited about stuff like this, but this one's a different story, as they chose to cover an insanely wide variety of bands. This was mentioned a few months back, but here's the tracklisting again:

01 - Blackened (Metallica)
02 - Kickstart My Heart (Motley Crue)
03 - The Day I Tried To Live (Soundgarden)
04 - Bicycle Race (Queen)
05 - Three Of A Perfect Pair (King Crimson)
06 - Us And Them (Pink Floyd)
07 - Geek USA (Smashing Pumpkins)
08 - Forced March (Earth Crisis)
09 - Territory (Sepultura)
10 - Change (Blind Melon)
11 - Malpractice (Faith No More)
12 - Little 15 (Depeche Mode)
13 - Cemetary Gates (Pantera)
14 - Colorblind (Counting Crows)

What's most impressive isn't that the band interpret each song in different ways, but that they faithfully duplicate the originals. You'd think they'd just go and metalcore everything up, sticking in screaming, breakdowns, and whatnot, but they way they can shift styles (just listen to the first track on Alaska) is their forte, and they prove they're just as capable of mimicking Queen as well as Sepultura. The whole "look at what we can do" shtick is obvious, but damn, they're good at it. Best tracks: King Crimson's "Three of a Perfect Pair" (brilliantly done), Faith No More's "Malpractice", Pink Floyd's "Us and Them" (a bit obvious, but man do they sell it), Metallica's "Blackened", and Depeche Mode's "Little 15". And the Counting Crows cover is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

You know what the best part is? Lots of metalcore children are going to be turned on to some music they otherwise wouldn't have been interested in. I was like that myself when I was 14.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#515 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:25 AM

What's most impressive isn't that the band interpret each song in different ways, but that they faithfully duplicate the originals.

See, I was disappointed about this. I wanted them to do something different with the songs. I'd rather just listen to the originals than these note-for-note covers. It's just boring. It didn't help that they chose to cover some horrible shit either ("Kickstart My Heart"?, Counting Crows?, Blind Melon?!?, ugh). It's cool that maybe some 14 year olds will be turned on to Sepultura and all, but this is going straight to the recycle bin.

#516 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10081 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

New Strapping Young Lad!

"You Suck"

It's typically wacky. In a very good way.

Yikes, I think I just woke up my neighbor w/ that one! Thanks.

These guys have been my favorite find from this thread or its predecessor. Well, In Flames & Cave-In are up there too....

Worse than that it seems like the producers only collected quotes that mention how influential the bands that they're focusing are. It's a "Revisionist Story of Metal" instead of a real Story of Metal. I can understand that they only had 4 hours to fit it all in, but they left out or glossed over major bands and influences and no one mentioned them? Not even in passing "Oh, I like this band, too..."

They could've cut Marilyn Manson's section in half & added more Motorhead or Speed/Death/Thrash/Black Metal.

Yeah, or had shots/interviews of Korn instead of Bizkit/Durst...and cut that Twisted Sister part at the end too. Was anyone ever really into them?

#517 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

See, I was disappointed about this. I wanted them to do something different with the songs. I'd rather just listen to the originals than these note-for-note covers. It's just boring.

I definitely get your point, and I'd normally agree with you, but all the leaping from style to style (with no hint of irony whatsoever) left me impressed, in spite of the carbon copy feel of the songs. They do tweak the Depeche Mode song a tiny bit, which I like. But yeah, "Kickstart My Heart" is pretty cringe-inducing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#518 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

Snippet from the new Slayer song that comes out Tuesday (click on 'posluchaj'). Sounds great, I tell you.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#519 Rocks And Blows

Rocks And Blows

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:03 PM

I'm still digging that RussianCircles album, I was wondering if their is any band that has the haviness of RS, Pelican and SunnO)))), with a mix of the Minutemens bass lines.

#520 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:17 AM

Would anyone happen to have Underoath's Cries of the Past? I've been looking for this thing for awhile now. I have only heard the title track, and it was quite a few years ago, but i remember it being a monster of a song. It was back when they were a metal band, and quite a good one at that imo.
I don't even get your t-shirts pun.