• Please log in to reply
6429 replies to this topic

#6421 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

Saw helmets' post about Woods of Desolation and Kim Kelly's solid review today. Just grabbed it off Get Metal and am about to give it a listen!

#6422 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

So this Woods of Desolation album is incredible. Definitely my favorite album of 2014 so far. Most people probably won't hear it until December when they check year end lists, unfortunately.

Much more effective and powerful than Deafheaven.

#6423 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3853 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Gwar frontman Oderus Urungus dead at 50:

http://www.chicagotr...0,3460445.story

This sucks.

#6424 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Sorry, I won't weep for this fucktard.  His entire schtick was shocking people - especially those who are Christians.

The single worst concert i've ever seen live - Gwar was just a hilarious joke with no musical skills out to shock people.

Rest in peace and fuck you at the same time.  He spent his entire career trying to offend people and Christianity and probably died from a heroin or alcohol overdose in a corner of his house next to his toilet.

#6425 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3853 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

Funny, I always thought Gwar was one of those bands that's universally beloved (albeit not always for its music). Anyway, I'd always heard that he was a super guy, and the accounts in the wake of his death seem to confirm that. Plus, I loved their "shtick".... And yeah, they skewered religion, and politics, and pop culture, etc. All pretty ripe topics. Anyway, I'm not gonna try and justify their act, I always enjoyed seeing them live.

Also, their onion av club undercover performances are pretty legendary.

#6426 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

I'm not into this Thou album. It has some incredible moments but mostly feels like they wanted to make this epic statement and only made an overly long piece of music. Doesn't strike me as something I'll revisit years from now or even rate very highly at the end of this year.

#6427 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

I don't really get that album either.  Its OK i guess.

In the same vein, the new The Body (with Haxan Cloak) and Nadja albums are so much better.

Nadja's new record is called Queller and its gorgeous.  Free on bandcamp.

#6428 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

The Body album is my favorite metal release of the year. I've been taking in the new Triptykon the past couple days and holy hell is it great.

#6429 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10085 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Deafheaven--my first exposure to them was as openers for BTBAM a month or two ago.  They stank it up in typical LA metal poseur style. Subordinate openers, Intronaut and the Kindred, were much more interesting.

BLS never appealed to me, tho I tried at one time.  Too corporate & predictable.

Saw Kvelertak, Gojira and Mastodon last night in what will probably be the best lineup of the year.  They've fixed the sound at the Fox Oakland, thank glob.  Kind of surprised at how many were unfamiliar with Kvelertak, who've appeared in SF at least twice since 2012.  My first time seeing them perform tunes from their latest album, which selections were less animated but just as heavy.  I was gonna pick it up but couldn't be arsed with the lines at the merch table (singular, wtf).

edit:  merged the old topic with the new one.

#6430 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

I'll probably being checking out Mastodon when they come to Chicago. Still love those dudes. The Hunter is just a loud fucking ZZ Top album to me and has some great songs.

Lord Mantis' Death Mask is incredible. Giving The Body/Haxon Cloak album a run for my favorite of the year.  Also, everyone should seek out Sask's review of Roadburn. He linked to it today on Twitter.  For my money, he's the best metal writer online.