6385 replies to this topic

#901 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

I wanted to talk about Harvey Milk here. Probably the best band to come out of my home town of Atlanta.

My favorite of your native Atlantan sons is Mastodon, though these guys are definitely cool.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#902 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:28 PM

20 years ago today:

Posted Image

That's a 24 hours I'll never forget. Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time had arrived in my town that day, which us metal fans had been waiting two years for (an eternity to a 15 year-old), and I was thrilled, but then the next morning, the news about Burton surfaced. Horrible.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#903 Jimmy TKB

Jimmy TKB

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6325 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

Cliff Burton was an amazing bassist and could bang heads with the best of 'em. Much of Metallica's decline can be traced directly to his untimely and tragic death. They were never the same after he passed. And, he played bass with his fingers, no picks ever, and was one of the very few metal bassists that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the great Steve Harris.

#904 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

Yeah, nothing against Newsted, he was a tremendous replacement, but as time went on, and as Some Kind of Monster proved, despite the fact that Hetfield and Ulrich wrote the huge majority of music, Burton was definitely the straw that stirred the proverbial drink.

"Orion" is Burton's finest hour.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#905 Umberto Eco The Dolphin

Umberto Eco The Dolphin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, nothing against Newsted, he was a tremendous replacement, but as time went on, and as Some Kind of Monster proved, despite the fact that Hetfield and Ulrich wrote the huge majority of music, Burton was definitely the straw that stirred the proverbial drink.

"Orion" is Burton's finest hour.

Yeah. Kill Em All is really James and Lars' baby, I think.....and Dave Mustaine's......and Master was really when Cliff and the rest all gelled at once. I don't hate on Metallica the way many metal fans have for the past.....18+ years. They still come up with some cool stuff, but it's obvious the impact of losing Cliff changed James, Lars, Kirk, and Dave forever, musically, but I think it has really taken all of them a long time to really get over it personally, as well.

Perhaps the collaboration with Rick Rubin and having a finger picker who is phenomenal at bass will give them a new direction. I still would like James, Lars, and Dave to collaborate on something in a Garage Days kind of way, or something like MD 45, but it will probably never happen.
Posted Image

#906 Inzane

Inzane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

Random replies, I won't even bother to quote: My favorite years of music are 1991, 1994, and 1972. All-time favorite is '72. Some of my all-time favorite albums came out in that year. Neil Young's Harvest, Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill, to name two. I LOVE KYUSS! I found this blog that posted a few Kyuss things, like random sessions, unreleased, rarities, and other shite. Want me to link, Burzum? Kill 'Em All is my favorite 'Tallica record.. then Master of Puppets, then Ride the Lightning. Any new metal reccomendations? Oh ya, my two cents on Cliff Burton: Great bass player. I agree, he was the straw the "stirred the drink." Also, I feel bad for Cliff. It wasn't like he died in the traditional choked-on-vomit thing, where it's not extremely painful, he got freakin' run over by a bus!

#907 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

Got the new album by recent Kemado signees Danava today. They're on the Invaders comp, it's sort of a blend of Hawkwind, Monster Magnet, and Comets on Fire, some cool epic space-rock. I played the album twice today, and though the vocals are a bit on the glammy side, I found it enjoyable. Here's a track:

"Quiet Babies Astray in a Manger"
http://www.kemado.co...12_version).mp3

If you like the song, the album's on oink.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#908 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

something like MD 45, but it will probably never happen.

Man, MD45 was a fun little thing. Much preferred it to the Megadeth that followed, actually. 'The walls to the motel are THIN! And next door someone's getting beaten!'. Not gonna make my 100 of the era, but an enjoyable diversion nonetheless.

And yeah, as much as I have liked post-Cliff Metallica, he was a beautiful bass player. I am always amazed when I catch video of his playing, no matter how many times I see it.

I LOVE KYUSS! I found this blog that posted a few Kyuss things, like random sessions, unreleased, rarities, and other shite. Want me to link, Burzum?

I certainly bloody do. ;)

Oh, and Sask, I've been slowly (very slowly) working my way through your 2006 list. I'll do it more rapidly when I get the mythical external. Still, downloaded the Agalloch and, after a couple of listens, it's pretty cool. Hoping it opens up further the more I listen.

Also, I finally stuck the Evil disc of Boris's Dronevil -Final- on the Death Deck. Man, I wanna play both discs at once, because that fucker is absolutely GARGANTUAN.

Posted Image

#909 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

It won't help my SOMBIE underground metal cred at all, but I must confess that this subpar afterthought of a Pantera release has been in heavy rotation chez Darkbloom for the past week. Very uneven, but "my trust is in whiskey, weed and Slayer."

Posted Image

Edit: Terrible cover. You can see the bit mapping in the flames.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#910 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:50 AM

Sadly, that album was 100% better than Great Southern Trendkill. I still can't listen to that screeching noise. That's what killed Pantera - they felt like they needed to be more extreme with every album, until they got to the point where they killed the music by trying to make it more extreme. I noticed the cracks beginning to appear on Far Beyond Driven, and then GST confirmed it.

#911 throughsilver

throughsilver

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:19 PM

Sadly, that album was 100% better than Great Southern Trendkill. I still can't listen to that screeching noise. That's what killed Pantera - they felt like they needed to be more extreme with every album, until they got to the point where they killed the music by trying to make it more extreme. I noticed the cracks beginning to appear on Far Beyond Driven, and then GST confirmed it.

Wowsers.

Great Southern Trendkill is easily my favourite Pantera album ever. Easily. So dynamic and raw, with their best mix ever, Phil's best vocals ever... and it was dark as fuck. I'll cop to not getting the 'killed the music by trying to make it more extreme' thing. That album had more quiet on it than anything else of theirs that decade. '10s', 'Suicide Note Part 1', their best song 'Floods'. I don't get it.

Reinventing The Steel was a pain to listen to for me. It's like they missed the sales so decided to dumb themselves down for the beer-drinking frat audience. I listened to it, like, once after getting it on import. That's not to hate on you, Darkbloom - if you're digging it then excellent for you. I couldn't get behind it, sadly.

Posted Image

#912 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

Wowsers.

Great Southern Trendkill is easily my favourite Pantera album ever. Easily. So dynamic and raw, with their best mix ever, Phil's best vocals ever... and it was dark as fuck. I'll cop to not getting the 'killed the music by trying to make it more extreme' thing. That album had more quiet on it than anything else of theirs that decade. '10s', 'Suicide Note Part 1', their best song 'Floods'. I don't get it.

Reinventing The Steel was a pain to listen to for me. It's like they missed the sales so decided to dumb themselves down for the beer-drinking frat audience. I listened to it, like, once after getting it on import. That's not to hate on you, Darkbloom - if you're digging it then excellent for you. I couldn't get behind it, sadly.

No offense taken at all. You'll notice that I qualified my post almost in "guilty pleasure" language ("subpar," "uneven"). I've always been a little sheepish about listening to Pantera (they are very Beavis and Butthead), and it's definitely a regressive record for them. But frankly, I think all of their records are pretty sophomoric and silly lyrically, and that even their darker moments on GSTK essentially cater to a meathead Coors Light set already. I just like some of the riffs on this one (the breakdown in "Goddamn Electric," "Revolution is My Name," "We'll grind that axe for a long time.....(and A- FUCKIN'-GAIN!!!")

I like "thinking man's" metal fine, but I also apparently dig some ignorant redneck metal as well. Ah well.

#913 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:55 PM

I'm going to have to revisit the latter-day Pantera stuff next time I have the chance.

Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve is the Hall of Fame entry in next month's Decibel. What a great choice. Look forward to reading the piece.

Last night a local station was playing Metallica's performance of the entire Master of Puppets from Dublin this past June, and I was struck by how great the band sounded, especially on "Orion" (Trujillo really proves his worth on the track). I found it on slsk, 128 rip, but sounds terrific nonetheless.

Going to see Misery Index and Neuraxis tonight. At long last, a good metal show in my city! All we get here are screamo bands.

If I can remember, I'll upload Nachtmystium while I'm out, and post it late tonight.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#914 beansimpson

beansimpson

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1568 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

I'm going to have to revisit the latter-day Pantera stuff next time I have the chance.

Last night a local station was playing Metallica's performance of the entire Master of Puppets from Dublin this past June, and I was struck by how great the band sounded, especially on "Orion" (Trujillo really proves his worth on the track). I found it on slsk, 128 rip, but sounds terrific nonetheless.

Through all the years of seeing Metallica, that is the one thing that has been consistant for me. Regardless of how bad an album or Lars was (both as a person and a drummer) they always put on a great show.
Iguchi-2 hits, 5 at bats, 7 RBI's. 6/25/06
Bean's favorite (not necessarely best) videos.

Run to the Hills-Holy Diver- DIO!-David Hasselhoff: Hooked on a Feeling -Sixteen Military Wives - The Decemberists -Judas Priest-Turbo Lover -Alice Cooper-Poison
"I'm so confused. In times of war, should I support the troops or the president?"-Neil Dawson, Farmworker

"Man, all the troops do these days is bitch, bitch, die unnecessarily, and bitch."-Heidi Williamson, Teacher

"What is up with boca burgers? I mean, for real, if you're all anti-meat because you think it's cruel and akin to murder, why do you make all your food look just like the damn thing? I mean, do you walk around with your peace gun or burn a cross for tolerance? I don't think so."-Ben

#915 Inzane

Inzane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:35 PM

Meshuggah is the pwnage. What else is in the Decibel hall of fame, out of interest?

#916 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

Meshuggah is the pwnage.

What else is in the Decibel hall of fame, out of interest?

Lots of titles, but from memory, Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse, Carcass's Necroticism, Anthrax's Among the Living, Sleep's Jerusalem, Botch's We are the Romans, Eyehategod's Take as Needed for Pain, and last month's was Monster Magnet's Dopes to Infinity.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#917 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10081 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:17 AM

I'll admit to owning everything in Pantera's catalog, but the only song after Far Beyond Driven that I don't feel silly listening to is "Thirteen Steps to Nowhere." It's partially because Phil seemed like such a misogynistic asshole by that time.

#918 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:25 AM

Hoo boy, Misery Index is awesome live. So is Neuraxis, in a proggy death way, but damn, MI bring it. Deafening, even with earplugs. And the drummer is amazing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#919 throughsilver

throughsilver

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:12 AM

I'll admit to owning everything in Pantera's catalog, but the only song after Far Beyond Driven that I don't feel silly listening to is "Thirteen Steps to Nowhere." It's partially because Phil seemed like such a misogynistic asshole by that time.

Oh, Phil is a pretty scummy human being all right. Misogynist, racist (he has made some horrid comments during the 'war on terror') - I'm not sure from what perspective he's coming on the 'lesbian love is accepted and right' line. In short, he's pretty scummy. Possibly a bit worse than Kerry King and not as bad as Varg Vikernes.

But let's not fool ourselves - he's been a dickhead for ages. Whether it's his arrogance 'you practice in your mirror / to be just like me, but you just can't see / you ain't got the balls, son!', or his Nietzschean/Darwinian thing ('A New Level', 'Strength Beyond Strength'), he's aways been very love/hate. And I don't think anything post-FBD is worse than, say, 'Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills' in terms of 'feeling silly'.

All that said, I think that's part of what made Pantera so good. Aside from the magnificent musicians, they had a frontman who had a shtick that was as compelling as it was disagreeable. I love most of his lyrics, and the way he delivers them. They're not always things I can get behind (but the same can be said of Chris Rock or Bill Hicks), but I love the fact that he has such a keen lyrical ear, and is so individual with it.

People's tastes are obviously their own, but on a scale of 'feeling silly', I'd listen to Pantera over any number of directionless angst (yes, I realise angst is directionless by definition ;))/self loathing nu-metal bands, or the macho Pantera wannabes who lack their strength of conviction.

And then we have all the straight edge movement, the Black Metal He-Man cartoons, nonsensical Death Metal (Patton said it best when he recommended Obituary's excellent debut, on account of you can't make out what he's singing) -- and that's without even mentioning the toe-curling Power Metal movement. Metal's all about that fine line between feeling silly and completely giving oneself over to it.

The less said about Metal classic 'Angel Of Death' the better - 'Auschwitz, the meaning of pain / The way that I want you to die'... Hmm. I don't want this to feel like a rant; it's just an interesting topic to me. :)

Posted Image

#920 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:16 AM

Wowsers.

I guess just chalk it up to two completely different tastes. I don't really like extreme metal. I was into bands like Mesuggah for about 12 seconds and then got tired of the screaming over noisy guitars. I enjoy the technical proficiency of a band like that, but when they layer all of the crap on top of it, I can't stand to listen to it. That's one of the reasons I can stand to listen to Opeth but not 90% of other death metal bands. They have a measured, restrained approach that I can appreciate.

And GST was awful IMO. Pantera peaked at Vulgar Display of Power and slowly slid into the gutter after that. The quiet parts on GST were painfully boring and the loud parts were shrill and unpleasant, and lacking in something.....oh yeah, cool riffs. Give me Cowboys From Hell any day. I rather liked Phil's bark/Rob Halford impersonation on that album.

But as they say - to each his own.