6385 replies to this topic

#1701 dirty hippie

dirty hippie

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2486 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

Interesting article. Never exactly thought of myself as a hipster before I read it. :mellow:

A friend's 15-yr-old son is getting into metal and Mom isn't loving the amelodic vocals. I thought I'd help save their relationship by making him a mix of heavy-ish tunes with mostly pleasant vocals, that they can listen to in the car. And instrumentals. So far I'm considering:

Cuddles - Black Elk
SS Recognize - Alien Ant Farm
Zambra - Hacride
Blood - To-Mera
Dime - Buckethead
Turnstile Blues - Autolux
Flying Whales - Gojira
Boomerang - Lean
The X-stream - Voivod
Beneath - Nothingface
Lament for the Aurochs - The Sword
Suffocate - Sevendust
There's Going to be a War [or Rabia...can't decide] - Nonpoint
Crystal Skull - Mastodon
Nautical - Protest the Hero
Mind Machine - Scar Symmetry
Majestic - Killing Joke
Accidents [or How to Kill a Career] - Geisha
Everlasting Life - Symphorce
Circle of Servants Bodies - Saviours
Waiting for the Sun - Jimi Hazel
Isolated Through Multiplicity - Coprofago
Tension in the Ranks - Cave In [or Screaming in Your Sleep]
Pure - Helmet
Jambi - Tool

What was the metal band with a female vocalist in the vein of To-Mera? Suggestions are invited and most welcome. Who am I'm missing? Even though he's already got Lamb of God, I don't want to be the one to give him anything too profane. Thanks!

oh come now, you need Hooker With a Penis to really get the bonding started.

#1702 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

I know I've mentioned this a bunch, but I'll do it again. My 58 year old mom is now a huge goth/orchestral metal fan. It's funny because I got her into Theion, Nightwish, Angtoria, etc., and she calls me the other day raving about some new band she just heard called Evanescence. I couldn't stop laughing. She's a huge Angtoria fan, but had never heard of Evanescence.

Still awesome.

#1703 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1505 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

Posted Image
Geisha - Mondo Dell'Orrore

It took me 5 weeks to finally get around to this. Its phenomenal - best metal record I've heard this year. Thanks Burzum.

#1704 Soundscape

Soundscape

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

Dream Theater signs to ROADRUNNER RECORDS. New album "Systematic Chaos" expected out in June.

http://www.mikeportn....aspx?m=1543845

#1705 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

The new Hidden Hand album is excellent. Anyone who digs quality stoner/doom, especially Wino's stuff with St. Vitus, Place of Skulls, etc., will love this.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1706 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

The new Hidden Hand album is excellent. Anyone who digs quality stoner/doom, especially Wino's stuff with St. Vitus, Place of Skulls, etc., will love this.

Man, I've tried repeatedly to get into this album and it's just not happening. Not doomy enough or something, I don't know. I've actually been listening to Saint Vitus and The Obsessed a lot lately and this stuff just sounds so weak in comparison.

#1707 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

Posted Image
Geisha - Mondo Dell'Orrore

It took me 5 weeks to finally get around to this. Its phenomenal - best metal record I've heard this year. Thanks Burzum.

Yeah, I was slow getting around to this, as well--but it's really outstanding. The serial killer bit at the end is pretty disturbing, though.

#1708 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:27 PM

Man, I've tried repeatedly to get into this album and it's just not happening. Not doomy enough or something, I don't know. I've actually been listening to Saint Vitus and The Obsessed a lot lately and this stuff just sounds so weak in comparison.

I was a bit lukewarm towards it at first, but that second half really kicks into gear, I think.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1709 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:05 AM

So I got around to hearing the new (well, latest, at any rate) Trivium, and it kicks ass. I know a lot of people in here are more into the weirder/blacker/darker side of metal but can anyone give me any pointers towards more of that 'classic' sounding stuff?

#1710 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:55 AM

So I got around to hearing the new (well, latest, at any rate) Trivium, and it kicks ass. I know a lot of people in here are more into the weirder/blacker/darker side of metal but can anyone give me any pointers towards more of that 'classic' sounding stuff?

You might want to sample the new Firewind album Allegiance, which came out recently. Catchy melodic metal, but unlike other power metal acts that mimic Blind Guardian and Rhapsody, this band is thoroughly retro, reminding me a great deal of Michael Schenker-era UFO and early-80s MSG, with a bit of a modern twist. Plus their singer is a dead ringer for Graham Bonnett.

Well worth a try on oink or slsk. I found a still-active rapidshare link here, and it appears to be legit, but I can't guarantee its quality or anything, so downloader beware.

Edit: I can probably find the time to rip 'n post today/tonight if need be.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1711 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:44 AM

I haven't heard this one, but I had a similar reaction to Spirit Caravan. I got the album after seeing them live (come on, after seeing the awesomeness of Wino, you'll buy whatever you can get yer hands on), but it was just so plodding and pedestrian.

Tangent: It seems as though Goatsnake are going to go down as the great under-rated band of this era, despite a slight Southern Lord renaissance.

Posted Image

#1712 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:02 AM

I know I've mentioned this a bunch, but I'll do it again. My 58 year old mom is now a huge goth/orchestral metal fan. It's funny because I got her into Theion, Nightwish, Angtoria, etc., and she calls me the other day raving about some new band she just heard called Evanescence. I couldn't stop laughing. She's a huge Angtoria fan, but had never heard of Evanescence.

I should play some of that for my Mom, she surprises me sometimes with her taste in music. I'm still surprised that she became a big fan of the Stranglers back in the Mid-'80s.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#1713 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1505 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

Fyi, they're playing Chicago saturday night at the Empty Bottle. I'm going to go just to check out Minsk who is opening. I've never heard Hidden Hand, but i'll stick around to see if they do anything for me.

#1714 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

I haven't heard this one, but I had a similar reaction to Spirit Caravan. I got the album after seeing them live (come on, after seeing the awesomeness of Wino, you'll buy whatever you can get yer hands on), but it was just so plodding and pedestrian.

Tangent: It seems as though Goatsnake are going to go down as the great under-rated band of this era, despite a slight Southern Lord renaissance.

That's the word I was looking for, pedestrian. Seems like they're just going through the motions. That being said, I'd still go check them out live just to see Wino in action. And yes, Goatsnake are amazing.

#1715 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10081 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

I was gonna say The Gathering. Something like 'Leaves' or 'Third Chance' would be very nice choices. Also, can't go wrong with 'Resurrection' by Fear Factory, 'Grey Flap' by Pist.On, 'Weeds' by Life Of Agony, 'Cemetery Gates' by Pantera, 'Stone the Crow' by Down...

I only listened to Demanufacture for ideas, will review Obsolete, dig out the Pist.On & Pantera. Thanks!

#1716 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

Awesome! That would be great and much appreciated.

here ya go http://www.megaupload.com/?d=43TUUY3G

it's also a "grower" for a lot people. The 1st few times I heard it I was kinda wondering how much I'd like it. But that happened to me with every one of their albums I recall.

Thanks!

I have to say, I'm enjoying this much more than I thought I would. First listen I wasn't impressed, but after that, I burned it to disc and cranked it in the car and now I'm digging it.

#1717 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:25 AM

So I found myself in the mood to hear some good new metal this weekend and I headed out to pick up a couple new albums to tide me over. As usual, I was overwhelmed by the mass amount of stuff I haven't heard yet and made three out of the blue choices. I picked...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Haven't had a chance to listen to any of them yet, but I hope to dig in over the weekend. From the sounds of it, that may not have been the best Cathedral album to start with. We'll see.
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#1718 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:08 AM

That half hour track on the Cathedral CD is insane. Good album, that one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1719 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:45 AM

That half hour track on the Cathedral CD is insane. Good album, that one.

Yeah, that song is a hell of a goddamn ride, and it showed that they still have the capacity to pleasantly surprise me after all these years.

I have still never listened to Endtyme, which is a shame as it seems to be the big evil doom one in the last decade or so of Cathedral.

Posted Image

#1720 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

NPR has realized that "metal is back". I'd make fun of how slow they are to catch on if I wasn't right there with them.